Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering the purchase of a new base model Nissan Versa because I want a simple car with few frills to cause problems later. I'm not a fan of TPMS or traction control but my biggest issue with the Versa is the electric power steering. After gathering as much info as I could it appears that the car basically has a manual steering rack and the electric boost is attached to the actual steering column. Has anyone sucessfully ripped out all the electric power steering hardware? Are there issues with the cars computer once this is done?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My owner's manual says there is a power steering indicator light on the instrument panel, so at the very least that'll light up - which sounds especially annoyinig at night. I'd just leave it alone untill it breaks.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
this electric steering is the most basic thing I have ever seen. Just a motor in the steering column. I wouldn't even bother trying to mess with it. If your really hard up on removing it maybe there is a fuse to turn off the motor. But since it's built into the actual steering I don't see how it can be "ripped" out.

TPMS is the worst thing ever. Mine actually worked well but still is annoying because you need to pay extra to swap them to new wheels. Also they tend to fail after several years needing a replacement. I heard you can shut off the tpms in the ECU using nissans scan tool. But they won't do it for you. Maybe if you have a friend that works their you can get it done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I keep my TPMS in the glove box, it's called a tire guage for all the young people. I certainly don't want to replace batteries in the wheels or have to get some malfunctioning system reset at high cost by the dealer just to avoid checking something I should be paying attention to anyway like oil and gas. As for the steering motor, if it's working it has some value so I'd rather remove it while it's new and sell it a year later if I still like it gone. By then someone else's will be broken and they can buy mine. The biggest question is if the motor bolts to the column or if it's built in. If it's built into the column I like the design even less than I did before. I wonder how the drag of a disconnected motor would effect steering feel. While the steering motor alone may be basic, it's the control system of the motor that I see being problematic. On top of that, nothing seems to be hard coded anymore. All this software created by the manufacturer is prone to needing a reflash, conveniently at the owners expense.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I keep a tire gauge as well but TPMS is federally mandated in cars these days. So us here in the land of the free don't have a choice.

Here is a pick of the motor. I think you would have to custom fab something from the intermediate shaft to the steering wheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Man after working on ps pumps, leaking hoses, and sounds that resemble a yeti comin from under the hood anythungs better than that. After having my Gti and the wife's golf r, I'm sold on these electrons power assisted steering systems. I've been doing my research on how I can incorporate it into my older cars. IMO I'd leave it be, like these guys said it will most likely cause more headache trying to eliminate it than it will be to maintain it. Just my opinion though I can understand why you want to eliminate anything that can cause problems. That's the reason I got my versa, simplicity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man after working on ps pumps, leaking hoses, and sounds that resemble a yeti comin from under the hood anythungs better than that. After having my Gti and the wife's golf r, I'm sold on these electrons power assisted steering systems. I've been doing my research on how I can incorporate it into my older cars. IMO I'd leave it be, like these guys said it will most likely cause more headache trying to eliminate it than it will be to maintain it. Just my opinion though I can understand why you want to eliminate anything that can cause problems. That's the reason I got my versa, simplicity.
This is usually the kind of talk I hear before I accomplish exactly what people tell me I can't do. Hydraulic PS isn't even in equation so I confused as to why potential hydraulic problems were brought into the mix. My concern is eliminating electric PS and going to manual which has none of the issues listed above. However, If I HAD to work on hydraulic VS electric I'd pick hydraulic because the parts are far cheaper, simpler, and have had far less problems than the electric setups have had in recent recalls and consumer complaints.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
This is usually the kind of talk I hear before I accomplish exactly what people tell me I can't do. Hydraulic PS isn't even in equation so I confused as to why potential hydraulic problems were brought into the mix. My concern is eliminating electric PS and going to manual which has none of the issues listed above. However, If I HAD to work on hydraulic VS electric I'd pick hydraulic because the parts are far cheaper, simpler, and have had far less problems than the electric setups have had in recent recalls and consumer complaints.
I believe tony was saying he has been working on the hydraulics on his other cars and not needing to deal with them on this car was a nice change..

·
Registered
339 Posts
do you think the electronic power steering is what gives the v bad directional stability or is it the tall skinny tires? Ive notice around 70 my v will wander and bounce between the groove in the highway

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Since i upgraded from 185/65-15 to 215/45-17 tires, my V is definitely less prone to cross winds, but more prone to following ruts in the road.
The electric ps systems today are only as good/tactile as the maker makes them.
I read the current bmw f30 chassis has wonderful elec ps [with a few dissenters], and the current mustang's eps is disappointingly numb and less responsive,
and the Versa is the Ultimate Parking Machine :)
I asked the same manual steering conversion question years ago [on nico i think] deciding not to bother until it breaks. I think i'll be waiting a while...
If ya do dig in to delete the eps, let us know how it goes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I've put big block engines in Dodge Darts and fabricated things on a lot of other old cars back in the day so I'm pretty sure I can fab up the hardware. It's the computer interaction that worries me. A lot of systems are bundled these days and problems have a way of cascading with that setup. Disconnect one thing and something else doesnt work right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm sorry if I was coming off as being a smart a**. Your right, hyd systems are way off this topic. I understand your goal, and it does make sense why you'd want to eliminate the ps. I'm far from knowing these systems , or how they react to changes. I was just saying that I'm impressed with the cars I own that have it.

Off topic: I just finished up my power steering setup on my v8 s10, ran into alot of problems. I wanted to go manual with it but had too much invested in parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.