Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there and thanks ahead for your time. I've read a few threads about towing that have been informative here but not much on tongue weight and hauling with a hitch mounted system.
I am looking to haul my dirt bike with a hitch mounted system. The rack and the weight of the dirt bike with fluids would run about 310-330#.
I currently have a 2012 Versa hatchback that has a Curt 1 1/4" hitch receiver and I have hauled a Kuat bicycle rack with two bicycles on it without any problems ( appx. weight of this load only 120#.) I know I'll have to get a custom receiver made for 2" for the moto rack but wondering if anyone has hauled with this type of system? Pictures would be awesome if you have them!
Any calculation on how to figure out the tongue weight.
Those who are towing with trailer on the Versa do you have any pictures to share and the system and weight you are hauling?
Thank you for your time!

-Adrianne :smile

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Is the motorack a holder for your dirtbike? Or is it a dirtbike trailer? If its just a rack that your dirtbike goes on, then however much it weighs plus your bike with fluids is the tongue weight, because there is nothing else but the hitch supporting that weight. That seems a little heavy for a Versa, which according to the owners manual isn't supposed to be towing anything. If you absolutely *must* haul a dirtbike with a versa you'd be better off with a small trailer like the stinger https://ca.stingertrailer.com/product/stinger-folding-trailer/

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Thats a good one. Usually in America they say NO TOWING, but the same car in Canada has a mild towing limit like 2000 lbs and 200 toung weight. Sounds like you would even exceed that if in Canada. Other than effecting handling you may bottom out and hit the rig on the ground.

I had a 2010 honda insight that had a TO TOWING warning, but yet they made a class 1 hitch. I got an aluminum wheelchair carrier and used a light wheelchair so everything was under 200 lbs. Well, no go. THe edge of the rear platform would bottom out on bumps and driveways.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there and thanks ahead for your time. I've read a few threads about towing that have been informative here but not much on tongue weight and hauling with a hitch mounted system.
I am looking to haul my dirt bike with a hitch mounted system. The rack and the weight of the dirt bike with fluids would run about 310-330#.
I currently have a 2012 Versa hatchback that has a Curt 1 1/4" hitch receiver and I have hauled a Kuat bicycle rack with two bicycles on it without any problems ( appx. weight of this load only 120#.) I know I'll have to get a custom receiver made for 2" for the moto rack but wondering if anyone has hauled with this type of system? Pictures would be awesome if you have them!
Any calculation on how to figure out the tongue weight.
Those who are towing with trailer on the Versa do you have any pictures to share and the system and weight you are hauling?
Thank you for your time!

-Adrianne
I haul my 450 (weighs just over 200lbs)with a 40x48 harbor freight trailer converted to haul bikes (weighs just over 100lbs) without any issues.
I don't think a hitch carrier system would work on a car like this because the way the hitch Mounts they can't really support a lot of tongue weight

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I went to try to tow and it looks like the hitch tucks up too far under the vehicle to do so without cutting some of the bumper or getting a hitch extension which would throw the weight off.

I reread the manual and it does say NO TOWING, so I guess the trailer hitches are for hauling bikes and what not?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing