Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of us are getting curious to see how many versa owners have had engine failures, issues etc....

if you have, please post your year, type of motor, etc and what issue you have experienced.

i will sticky this thread so we have quick access to these issues.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I've got the really bad piston slap as well as the extremely long crank times. Piston slap is only really noticeable during cold starts, and the long crank time was around for a few months last winter/spring (february, march, april) and I haven't seen it since. I haven't had a failure though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
2011 Hatch, 1.8 motor, cold start ticking/taping noise (piston slap) noticed this noise on cold start ups a couple of months now. Currently 30K miles. Once it's warmed up the noise goes away. Other than that the car runs fine. Going to Nissan for this issue next week. We'll see what they say.

·
Registered
43 Posts
a couple of times in the past days, i started the engine and the "O/D OFF" light didn't go off.
i turn off the engine and start again, and it's gone.
i still don't know why this happens!

·
Registered
66 Posts
2009 SL Hatch with CVT. MR18DE. Cylinder 3 failure started at 65,000 miles.

Started as light tapping in the cold in winter of 2010. Would be ok when warm. By mid 2011 it was tapping no matter the temp and even once warm. Started experiencing massive oil burning. Oil light came on twice in a month before I realized something was very wrong. By winter of 2011 had a very obvious lump at idle. Engine would die unless I came to very light stop. Replaced engine @ 84,000 miles new years weekend 2012 with MR20DE. After 600 miles new engine running great, no check engine light.

Original info here

Video of engine once it started going bad.

**** PLEASE LIST THE FAILED CYLINDER IF KNOWN *******

·
Registered
236 Posts
2011 Hatch, 1.8 motor, cold start ticking/taping noise (piston slap) noticed this noise on cold start ups a couple of months now. Currently 30K miles. Once it's warmed up the noise goes away. Other than that the car runs fine. Going to Nissan for this issue next week. We'll see what they say.
Warrior: I also have MR18 2011 HB, 12000 miles and the cold startup ticking too. Went to the dealer in October and then again in December. Both times the tech “ confirmed” that it is normal. The tech and I did take a test drive in the car from a cold over night start and we did drive it for 10 miles.
I honestly can’t buy that answer being normal as there is no place in the manual where they list piston slap as normal. < grin> They did document that the noise is piston slap

I called 800nissan1 last week and after getting drilled on the phone by the customer service person, I was told that a factory rep would call. Got the call from the factory rep and the person told me if the dealer did not find anything wrong, she could not do anything. Again, I can’t buy that answer either.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Piston #3 knocking @ 103 000 km

Result is that nissan changed my block but 2 days later some choking and check engine light went on

·
Registered
47 Posts
It was the air intake timing sensor replaced under warranty now it runs great but dunno its cause of winter but still doing shit mpg even if im shifting low and feathering the gas.

This question for all deose anyone else realize after mid tank the needle drops alot faster?!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
^yes for sure drops faster after 1/2 full mark. On economical tankfuls, I put on 400km at half way, but i've only made it to 700km once for a full tank. So normally I'm at 350 to 400 km at half way mark, 600-650 on a full tank when driving economically. I've also never been able to go 100km before the gas gauge moves...Usually 60 to 90 km depending on fill level
PS i have very little urban driving, sometimes none at all
edit sorry i should be in an mpg thread:)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I haven't had any engine trouble but I do have a whistling noise when I'm coming to a stop. Seems to be coming from the wheels, sorry can't remember if the front or rear once. It is hell of annoying though lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 hb 1.8 sl

No engine noises yet. Only have 5K so far. When A/C comp comes on it sounds like a brick fell on the hood though !! I do like the little fella, so I hope it won't turn out to be a piston slapper. had that issue with a Chevy ZZ383 motor I put in my Suburban. Should have left it alone. By the time the dealer finished tearing up everything I had meticulously assembled, I wound up with a cross threaded, stripped out, oil leaking POS !

·
Registered
257 Posts
I haven't had any engine trouble but I do have a whistling noise when I'm coming to a stop. Seems to be coming from the wheels, sorry can't remember if the front or rear once. It is hell of annoying though lol.
Did you get your breaks checked? Since its coming from the wheels and all. Dont want them failing on you.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Brakes seem to be working fine but that is probably a good idea. I'm just too lazy to drive 30+ miles to my dealer to have to wait there for 3-4 hours while they check it. Eventually I'll get to it, if my brakes don't fail first lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trouble after trouble

Bought the Versa new in 2007, had engine changed due to noisy engine, thought it was valves. They changed the engine. Now just past the five year mark, with 23000 km on the new engine at a year and half old, and same noisy valve problem. Service engine soon light since two weeks now, and noticed yesterday hesitation when going into second gear. Trouble code shows 1142 for TPS. Called Nissan parts, they didn't know what TPS is. I believe the throttle position sensor to be just at the pedal. Does it need changed or is it maybe a wiring problem? Your help would be appreciated. Challenger 300.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm hoping my engine runs perfectly for about another year and then promptly craps out on me. I wanna get all the warranty time out of it and then have it die so I can do the mr20 swap :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
I just hit 30k mi.....

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm at 40k with no real issues except the piston slap on especially cold starts.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Im actually hopin for it to pop haha

1 - 20 of 151 Posts