Nissan Versa Forums banner

61 - 80 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
another mr18 bites the dust. No wonder nissan isn't using this engine anymore. Well I think they are in the cube but that's it now and I bet this is the last year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On mom's 2010 versa last year had about 35k miles.
Motor was loosing power after driving on highway for 30-40 min, started making noise like rattle snake when gas pedal was floored. She took to Nissan near her and of course dealership mechanic was unable to find anything wrong. Than I took to Nissan near me and explained whats happening also had sound recorded like rattle snake. They gave me loaner and said that wait few days for diagnostics report.
Few days later received call from them and verdict was that versa needed new motor. I spoke with few buddies and they mentioned that cat converter might been the problem. If it was clogged and heated (driving on the highway) might cause engine loose power.

3 weeks later dealer informed that motor was swapped and half of exhaust too.
So I think it was cat after all. I asked about new motor warranty and was told that it will continue it's warranty, no additional 35k miles.
Dealerships like projects like this because Nissan warranty dept pays for labor and parts.

·
Registered
236 Posts
scuderia813
Did Nissan give you the details of why the #3 cylinder/piston failed? I would love to know what the real problem is and why they can't correct it. Stackup tolerance, casting issue, metalurgical quality control, ???

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nissan claims its to do with low oil level, no piston squirters, no steel sleeves, and poor maintenance. I talked this over in length with the service tech at my local nissan. The later style versas have a larger capacity oil pan to keep the oil cooler and last longer. He said most failures were on the early models with poor maintenance.

The problem is the piston actually ovals the bore due to poor oil and no sleeve thus causing piston slap. Piston slap isn't uncommon on cars with forged pistons because they need more room for thermal expansion about.005-.008" more than cast or hypereutectic.

Nissan has pretty much dropped the 1.8 in favor for the 1.6 1.6t and 2.0

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
nissan still does a 1.8 but it's an MRA8de and is not the same as the mr18de. Currently in the new sentra. I'm shocked they went with that over the MR20DE. For whatever reason, probably emissions nissan didn't use the direct injection MR20DD. It would have made it the class leader in hp and tq or at least close to the top. But it would have suffered in the mpg's. Plus all the competition is using a 1.8l engine. So I guess I can see nissan's reason but I don't have to like it :D.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nissan claims its to do with low oil level, no piston squirters, no steel sleeves, and poor maintenance. I talked this over in length with the service tech at my local nissan. The later style versas have a larger capacity oil pan to keep the oil cooler and last longer. He said most failures were on the early models with poor maintenance.

The problem is the piston actually ovals the bore due to poor oil and no sleeve thus causing piston slap. Piston slap isn't uncommon on cars with forged pistons because they need more room for thermal expansion about.005-.008" more than cast or hypereutectic.

Nissan has pretty much dropped the 1.8 in favor for the 1.6 1.6t and 2.0
Thanks JS:
I have been trying to understand why the engineers could not figure out how to fix the problem. I did not know the difference between forged pistons and hypereutectic and that the hypereutectic alloy has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion.

I wonder if the 1/2 blocks that Nissan has changed out have been modified or just another same problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
scuderia813
Did Nissan give you the details of why the #3 cylinder/piston failed? I would love to know what the real problem is and why they can't correct it. Stackup tolerance, casting issue, metalurgical quality control, ???
Nope, they gave me very little information. The stealership still alludes that the motor is within spec and there was nothing wrong. All I can gather is the wrist pin or rod bearing allows contact with the head and loss of compression until the engine comes up to operating temperature.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is interesting to note that in the owners manual the 2009 MR18DE engine calls for 4-7/8 qt and the 2008 engine calls for 4-1/8 qt and 2010 calls for 4-3/8.

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan MT-6 with 47200 miles

·
Registered
867 Posts
It's sad to read so many issues, mine has over 150,000km's on it, plus the supercharger and she still runs like new.

Could be regular maintenance and the correct oils and additives, or I've just been very lucky.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
not sure if joking around or serious. We sometimes refer to the engine as the motor. They are one in the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
#3 piston slap. As per dealer diagnosis. The dealer told me the engine would have to be replaced. 2009 Versa S. Engine had about 81,000 miles on it. Dealer suggested that I call Nissan Customer Assistance and request assistance (read cost share) replacing the engine. Nissan Customer Assistance requested proof that proper engine services were performed on time. Fortunately, I saved the receipts that came with the car (it was a company lease car) and fax'd them to Nissan Customer Assistance.

To my utter SHOCK and AWE, Nissan Customer Assistance ACTUALLY agreed to cover ALL the parts required to replace the engine short block if I would cover the labor. :party:

Needless to say, I jumped on that offer before they had a chance to change their mind. I am not real happy about the $1100 labor I had to pay for however on the other hand I would have REALLY been upset if I had to cover the entire $5500 to cover everything. 4/5's of a loaf is MUCH better than none.

It is READILY apparent to me that Nissan STILL realizes there is a BIG problem with this series engine as they strongly recommend that the engine oil and filter be change every 3,750 miles. Oil and filter changes at such short intervals totally destroys ANY economy this vehicle is capable of providing. This is absolutely unacceptable in an auto industry where the engine oil change standard is for the most part 7,500 miles.

I let the Nissan dealer do the first 2 engine oil changes all the while observing the oil at various mileages. The oil stays relatively clean until about 3,500 miles and then considerably darkens at which point you can expect higher than normal oil consumption and possible degraded lubrication properties.

I just completed the 3rd engine oil and filter change yesterday and replaced the pucillanimously small Nissan oil filter with a Baldwin B 1431 engine oil filter which is nearly twice the size and a better filter in my opinion. I used a full synthetic 5W-30 oil this time and will observe how long the engine oil holds up.

Not considering the engine problems, this will be the LAST Nissan I EVER buy. I work on Honda's, GM, Dodge, Cummins engines, John Deere and more and WITHOUT exception or peer......I have NEVER seen such a poorly designed and extremely maintenance UNFRIENDLY vehicle such as this Nissan Versa. My daughter loves the car but it is mechanical turd. :cussing NOTHING on this vehicle is intuitive to work on. Even something as mundane and simple as accessing the engine oil filter requires that the air intake snorkel and radiator overflow tank be removed.

Hats off to Nissan Customer Assistance for helping me out like they did. On the other hand Nissan should NOT release to the public a defective product. Being that they did, Nissan SHOULD issue a technical service bulletin that covers the FULL cost of replacement of ALL defective engines in this series as they fail within a reasonably given mileage with engines that been properly modified to correct the defect causing the #3 piston slap issue.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
#3 piston slap. As per dealer diagnosis. The dealer told me the engine would have to be replaced. Engine had about 81,000 miles on it. Dealer suggested that I call Nissan Customer Assistance and request assistance (read cost share) replacing the engine. Nissan Customer Assistance requested proof that proper engine services were performed on time. Fortunately, I saved the receipts that came with the car (it was a company lease car) and fax'd them to Nissan Customer Assistance.

To my utter SHOCK and AWE, Nissan Customer Assistance ACTUALLY agreed to cover ALL the parts required to replace the engine short block if I would cover the labor. :party:

Needless to say, I jumped on that offer before they had a chance to change their mind. I am not real happy about the $1100 labor I had to pay for however on the other hand I would have REALLY been upset if I had to cover the entire $5500 to cover everything. 4/5's of a loaf is MUCH better than none.

It is READILY apparent to me that Nissan STILL realizes there is a BIG problem with this series engine as they strongly recommend that the engine oil and filter be change every 3,750 miles. Oil and filter changes at such short intervals totally destroys ANY economy this vehicle is capable of providing. This is absolutely unacceptable in an auto industry where the engine oil change standard is for the most part 7,500 miles.

I let the Nissan dealer do the first 2 engine oil changes all the while observing the oil at various mileages. The oil stays relatively clean until about 3,500 miles and then considerably darkens at which point you can expect higher than normal oil consumption and possible degraded lubrication properties.

I just completed the 3rd engine oil and filter change yesterday and replaced the pucillanimously small Nissan oil filter with a Baldwin B 1431 engine oil filter which is nearly twice the size and a better filter in my opinion. I used a full synthetic 5W-30 oil this time and will observe how long the engine oil holds up.

Not considering the engine problems, this will be the LAST Nissan I EVER buy. I work on Honda's, GM, Dodge, Cummins engines, John Deere and more and WITHOUT exception or peer......I have NEVER seen such a poorly designed and extremely maintenance UNFRIENDLY vehicle such as this Nissan Versa. My daughter loves the car but it is mechanical turd. :cussing NOTHING on this vehicle is intuitive to work on. Even something as mundane and simple as accessing the engine oil filter requires that the air intake snorkel and radiator overflow tank be removed.

Hats off to Nissan Customer Assistance for helping me out like they did. On the other hand Nissan should NOT release to the public a defective product. Being that they did, Nissan SHOULD issue a technical service bulletin that covers the FULL cost of replacement of ALL defective engines in this series as they fail within a reasonably given mileage with engines that been properly modified to correct the defect causing the #3 piston slap issue.
I think the only vehicle nissan uses this engine in now is the cube and I doubt they will after this year. Nissan themselves recommend 7,500 miles on the oil change but you need to meet certain criteria. Otherwise it is the very short 3,750.

I'm so glad nissan is stepping up and helping out. I know they are fully aware of the issue by now. Still that $1,100 is a good chunk of changes. Too bad you didn't want to do an MR20 swap. Would have cost about the same to you and you get a better engine.

Working on this Versa seems pretty easy to me. Everything is very accessible but maybe because other cars I have worked on were nightmares :biggrin5:. Removing just the overlfow tank, which you basically just pull up on, is so much nicer then having to have a car way up in the air because the filter is on the back of the engine by the firewall.

Wonder what changes were made to these new engines going in if any? It's been noted here a larger oil pan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the only vehicle nissan uses this engine in now is the cube and I doubt they will after this year. Nissan themselves recommend 7,500 miles on the oil change but you need to meet certain criteria. Otherwise it is the very short 3,750.

I'm so glad nissan is stepping up and helping out. I know they are fully aware of the issue by now. Still that $1,100 is a good chunk of changes. Too bad you didn't want to do an MR20 swap. Would have cost about the same to you and you get a better engine.

Working on this Versa seems pretty easy to me. Everything is very accessible but maybe because other cars I have worked on were nightmares :biggrin5:. Removing just the overlfow tank, which you basically just pull up on, is so much nicer then having to have a car way up in the air because the filter is on the back of the engine by the firewall.

Wonder what changes were made to these new engines going in if any? It's been noted here a larger oil pan.
If it was possible to drive the vehicle up on ramps, yes most everything would be a lot more accessible. Unfortunately, the vehicle sits so low to the ground that ramps are out......not even close. I considered jacking the vehicle up but was very hesitant to do so as the under carriage of the vehicle seemed VERY weak and thin sheet metal. I attempted jacking it up in a few places but was not too confident with how the sheet metal and supposedly strong points on the frame flexed. The jacking points are for changing tires and not lifting the entire vehicle. Just not very well thought out.

My speculation about what changes were made are that possibly a large or relocated piston oil jet or oil jets on all pistons. A larger oil pan is always helpful. Apparently, not much thought was given to enlarging and nd changing the oil filter media to catch smaller particles. Hence the reason I went with the Baldwin B1431.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The oil stays relatively clean until about 3,500 miles and then considerably darkens at which point you can expect higher than normal oil consumption and possible degraded lubrication properties
hey mine does that, but I top it off and change it after 5,000 miles or 3 months. but I only add less than 1/2 of 1quart of oil, it over fills it a little bit but its okay. i check the oil all the time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally, I wanna find a wrecked sentra spec v and do the qr25 swap. I've been looking into it lately.
do it. Ive been wanting to hook up with local versa owners here for that very purpose. I was about to get rid of my QR.

anyway, make sure you get a B16 QR. they have the balanced crank. I'm rebuilding my QR with (I have a b15 sentra) and I'm adding a b16 crank, forged rods and pistons, and some other mild upgrades. I know a great shop for QR parts and service and he also provides services for this platform. 2J Racing. I have worked with him throughout my current build and he has been incredibly helpful. PM me if you have any questions about the QR

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't remember if I've posted on this thread yet. My engine started tapping @10k. After 8 months and 15k more miles Nissan paid for a full long block replacement @25k. No cost to me, they even provided the rental car. I've had to take it back it several times due to chassis alignment but for the most part they have done well. They love me at the stealership, lol. I've completed the break in period (1500 miles) and she runs great. I can only wait and see if this one lasts.

61 - 80 of 151 Posts
About this Discussion
150 Replies
77 Participants
PDXDiamond
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing