Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2020 Nissan Versa (S model) and my head unit keeps rebooting. I've noticed that it happens under very specific conditions.
Whenever I'm using Bluetooth on my iPhone (6s running the latest iOS 13.4) to play music it will reboot. It seems to happen when I'm changing a music track on the steering wheel, on the head unit, or on the phone. It doesn't matter.
I doesn't matter what music app I use either. I've tried Spotify and Apple music.

I had the dealership replace the head unit since it started the day I bought it, but it still happens. Any advice?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Keep all your complains and dealership repairs well documented, insist on this being repaired/replaced as necessary, and review the lemon law in your state (yes, even for a mere head unit, because it prevents you from enjoying your recent purchase to the full extend).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep all your complains and dealership repairs well documented, insist on this being repaired/replaced as necessary, and review the lemon law in your state (yes, even for a mere head unit, because it prevents you from enjoying your recent purchase to the full extend).
Since they've already exchanged it, I'm wondering if this is a problem with the software of the unit. I just had my roommate sync up his phone to my car and it did to him twice. Luckily he recorded a video of it happening with my phone so I have proof that it's happening. I don't see anywhere in the menu where I can check the head unit's firmware.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It seems like you know under what conditions your head unit reboots, and you are able to replicate it. So you can try to do the same to another new 2020 Versa on a dealership lot and see if it is a software bug of entire batch of new Versas, or limited just to your car. Of course, this is applicable only if you are willing, out of goodness of your heart, to spend your time assisting dealership's service department to troubleshoot this problem. At this point they are on the hook to fix this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like you know under what conditions your head unit reboots, and you are able to replicate it. So you can try to do the same to another new 2020 Versa on a dealership lot and see if it is a software bug of entire batch of new Versas, or limited just to your car. Of course, this is applicable only if you are willing, out of goodness of your heart, to spend your time assisting the dealership's service department to troubleshoot this problem. At this point, they are on the hook to fix this.
I never thought about trying this in another Vera altogether. That's a really great idea! Thank you! It may be something else besides something that was replaced in the head unit. Perhaps a faulty power supply that is affected by the BlueTooth or somehow. Good call!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a 2020 Nissan Versa (S model) and my head unit keeps rebooting. I've noticed that it happens under very specific conditions.
Whenever I'm using Bluetooth on my iPhone (6s running the latest iOS 13.4) to play music it will reboot. It seems to happen when I'm changing a music track on the steering wheel, on the head unit, or on the phone. It doesn't matter.
I doesn't matter what music app I use either. I've tried Spotify and Apple music.

I had the dealership replace the head unit since it started the day I bought it, but it still happens. Any advice?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Jake, I’m also facing the same issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also facing the same issue with my 2018 Nissan Versa since i bought it last year. The Nissan was in brand new conditions with only 3k miles and supposedly it only had one recall which had to do with the rear view camera. My system only messes up when I’m using bluetooth, sometimes it will reboot when i skip a song or it just completely freezes.

·
Registered
382 Posts
might be a bad unit.....bring it back to the dealership and have it documented. Maybe there is already a bulletin about that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 just started doing this a few days ago(Feb 2021). Not sure if it does it when Bluetooth isn't being used...

·
Registered
322 Posts
There may be software updates that fix these issues if you bring it to the dealer. A lot of models have infotainment updates that address odd behavior. They will not repair a unit, just replace it, and the replacements should come with the most recent software.

There is a tool that they can connect to the vehicle, specifically for media diagnostics, that simulates a phone. It will call the car with a voice recording, stream via bluetooth, etc. Everything your phone can do with the car, it will do it. They are basically substituting a known good device to show that it's not the car, it's your phone.

You can try connecting a different phone and see if it works better.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts

I’m experiencing the same issue. I have a 2018 verse that was purchased last year and it’s been powering off this last week incessantly and I also started using my Bluetooth on it for music as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same problem with a 2019 Versa VS.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I’m going to the dealership soon. I just wanted to know if you have an update on what you did

·
Registered
322 Posts
Try a different phone, like an Android, and see if it still does it. Every instance I've experienced with these problems has been something related to iPhones, especially the newest stuff. I blame apple for trying to keep their stuff locked down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try a different phone, like an Android, and see if it still does it. Every instance I've experienced with these problems has been something related to iPhones, especially the newest stuff. I blame apple for trying to keep their stuff locked down.

No dice, I'm having the same issue with a 2016 SL that's never even had an apple product in the cabin at all, let alone connected via Bluetooth.

Mine does it when playing a CD and FM radio as well.

All of which have worked perfectly for several years and over 150k miles, just started this malarkey today (May 18, 2021)

I've tried absolutely nothing and I'm all out of ideas

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a used 2016 Versa note sv and oddly enough the day AFTER I get the damn thing it starts randomly rebooting. And I’ve spent a good majority of the day looking online for a cure, and hopefully I’m just a dumb ass but it doesn’t look like there is anything you can do about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is a Versa forum but I found it while googling my own same problems. I have a 2015 Titan, bought it brand new in 2015 (I’m original owner). Yesterday (June 14, 2021), my head unit just started doing the same thing. Shortly after connecting Bluetooth to my iPhone (like 1-2 seconds), it reboots. Does this 7 times in a row, then goes to a startup ‘initialising’ screen. Then tells me to install media update, update failed, system shutting down. Goes through that twice, then starts all over again at the beginning. Turn off the Bluetooth on my phone, no problems. I’ve been using iPhone with this car since I bought it 6+ years ago, had this specific iPhone for over a year and a half, and have been on the latest OS update for a week or 2, but it just now started wiggin’ out. Anyone figure it out on their vehicle?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts