Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
look into the headers closely, I know the OBX unit requires a midpipe as well, so if you need emissions testing, you'll be switching out the headers every time you have to test.

You won't get a whole lot of benefit from headers alone, you need the exhaust to be optimized as well, or all you've done is move the choke point, instead of minimizing it.

Honestly I'd start with the exhaust, then do the headers. Versaspeed.com is a solid first stop. I've got a couple of the DC pieces, and have been pretty happy so far, both the exhaust and the sway bar perform as advertised. The Silencer offered by Versaspeed for teh DC exhaust is a nice adder for when you need to drive with the wife, and she like her car rides quiet.

Reactions: sansversa

·
Registered
11 Posts
I spent a couple of session's talking to a couple of different companies trying to get them to atleast drop me a prototype of headers, and all they could say was the car is not buyer friendly, I don't know what that means but, I'd like to know if you went with the obx headers?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I spent a couple of session's talking to a couple of different companies trying to get them to atleast drop me a prototype of headers, and all they could say was the car is not buyer friendly, I don't know what that means but, I'd like to know if you went with the obx headers?
what they mean by "the car is not buyer friendly" is that it would not be worth it for them to invest the time and money into making a prototype as they don't see enough of a demand in the market for aftermarket performance parts for the versa for them to be able to make any money off of selling said part

·
Registered
11 Posts
what they mean by "the car is not buyer friendly" is that it would not be worth it for them to invest the time and money into making a prototype as they don't see enough of a demand in the market for aftermarket performance parts for the versa for them to be able to make any money off of selling said part
That's exactly what the guy meant, and I polite said to him, than explain all the following the Civic has had and all I heard was CRICKETS...I would like there to be more upgrades for the Versa but I'm patient and I have no intentions in getting rid of it. I am leaning towards trying to do a motor swap when I get closer to paying her off.>:D

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's exactly what the guy meant, and I polite said to him, than explain all the following the Civic has had and all I heard was CRICKETS...I would like there to be more upgrades for the Versa but I'm patient and I have no intentions in getting rid of it. I am leaning towards trying to do a motor swap when I get closer to paying her off.>:D
good luck to you man, i really hope that the aftermarket picks up at some point for all the versa's, i mean if Tanabe is releasing all these parts within a year of the Versa Note being released, i don't see why there can't be more parts being developed for all the other versa's as i know there is a butt load of them on the roads.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Honestly i'd go 2.5" from cat back for now with a traditional muffler at the back, running the header with cats would not be a big deal, all in a days work at any exhaust shop, one guy on here cut off the midpipe flange from the OBX one and welded it onto his stock midpipe. There's more gains to be had with no cats if you have a header (or an improved manifold, whatever you want to call it), but if you have regular e-tests it's not very convenient and probably not worth any gains.

Luckily for me my license and registration is registered to a countryside address, where the Drive Clean program is exempt, so until i get rid of the car i can do whatever i want. The cops don't care either, the only time i could see them looking under the car for cats is when you were driving like an idiot or are otherwise being a dick to them.

When i just had straight pipe i got pulled over for noise, and assuming he was going to ask about cats, i said that it still had cats on it. He didn't care, he said that was part of the emissions system and all he cares about is noise level... which was funny to me since he should also be enforcing emissions compliance, but whatever.

As far as aftermarket goes, you can theoretically get anything you want made up for a Versa if you want, it's just usually not cost effective, simple economics rules. The more market interest there is, the wider the cost of R&D can be spread out over multiple buyers. I could get an aluminum performance intake manifold made for my MR18 by a local performance/fabrication shop, but i'd be bearing all the R&D costs unless i could get people on here or in the area to commit to buying in. Plus usually the first product prototype made is the least efficient and most costly, which is always the case with anything. It's like how you're not very good at something the first time, like painting a car, but the more you do the more efficient and higher quality the work becomes.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Luckily for me my license and registration is registered to a countryside address, where the Drive Clean program is exempt, so until i get rid of the car i can do whatever i want.
I guess I'm not rural enough to be exempt in Haldimand. Is that up north countryside?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
look into the headers closely, I know the OBX unit requires a midpipe as well, so if you need emissions testing, you'll be switching out the headers every time you have to test.

You won't get a whole lot of benefit from headers alone, you need the exhaust to be optimized as well, or all you've done is move the choke point, instead of minimizing it.

Honestly I'd start with the exhaust, then do the headers. Versaspeed.com is a solid first stop. I've got a couple of the DC pieces, and have been pretty happy so far, both the exhaust and the sway bar perform as advertised. The Silencer offered by Versaspeed for teh DC exhaust is a nice adder for when you need to drive with the wife, and she like her car rides quiet.

So i should do an exhaust first that sounds like a good idea! What your take on this ???
[ http://amzn.com/B00DOL1U74

·
Registered
226 Posts
you want a catback system, not an axle-back. Axleback is basically just a fancy muffler and a polished tip. not a whole lot of benefit there.

Do a little research and discover for yourself why installing headers and free flowing exhaust helps/hinders performance. It shouldn't take more than a couple hours reading articles or browsing forums to get the gist. Once you understand what these things do, you'll know at a glance if the parts are worth the cost.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I guess I'm not rural enough to be exempt in Haldimand. Is that up north countryside?
Well, it's really just the northern county's, but those happen to be sparsely populated and as such they don't consider it a major source of pollution. Although it's arguable that the cost to benefit ratio is quite high, especially with the money invested in designing a program that follows OBD standards more specifically, in a way that doesn't require a gas analyzer.

It's arguable that the program has done anything at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.