Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a 2014 Versa Note SV w/ SL package two weeks ago. Switching from an AWD Subaru Forester is proving to be a difficult transition for my wife, who is the driver of this vehicle. My switch from my Forester (yes, his and hers foresters :smile ) to a RWD 4Runner was also difficult, but I did two things to square that away that I am planning on doing for the Versa.

Anyway, the handling is not very good, nor does the Versa feel like it's "gripping the road" like the Subaru ... OK, It's a lighter, smaller vehicle, so it's to be expected to some degree!

Here's what I was planning on doing:
1) Leather steering wheel cover. I've put these on every vehicle I've ever purchased that didn't come with one from the factory, and I swear it improves the feel for the road and allows your hands not to get tired from gripping a smaller unwrapped wheel.
2) To improve handling I was thinking I should ditch the Bridgestone Ecopia 195/55R16 tires, which don't seem to track or corner very well at all! I'm not sure of a good tire to get, but the Continental ContiProContact seems to have good reviews. Getting better gas mileage out of tires is NOT a priority for us, compared to good handling and ability to perform in wet or snowy conditions.

Well, I've done some searching on this forum related to the topics I just mentioned, and will do some more this evening. Thanks all!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on the Note. Mine came with the Continental ContiProContact tires and so far I find them to be alright. I haven't used anything else yet so hard to compare, but they have done well in the rain and whatever else I have thrown at it. I'm not sure if they will help with cornering or better steering. I find the steering to be completely numb, but I have never had a problem changing direction when I need to. From the reviews I have read, they do well in the rain, but you have better options when it comes to the snow.

I am too interested in maybe buying a leather steering wheel cover since I find my hands hurting after long drives. Let me know if you find anything that works well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding! I read lots of reviews on both tires and only the Bridgestones got lots of really bad reviews. Probably will go Cooper CS5 or Michelins.

I've always gotten Wheelskins. At $55 that seems pricey but your hands will thank you!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Another new Note owner! Welcome.

Wait! Didn't you say you have an SV w/SL package? It should come with a leather covered steering wheel (standard on the SV and up). At least my 2014 SV did.

I've used Wheelskins on 3 previous cars I owned and swear by them. A bit pricey and somewhat difficult to install but great product and great customer service too.

As for the tires, I ditched my Ecopias (I actually did a Plus 1 on my wheels and tires) and went with Kumho PA31s which are great so far, except for their poor (projected) tread life. Wore down 2/32 inch in 3600 miles of 95% city driving. These tires are highly rated at Tirerack. Excellent wet and dry traction and quiet.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I agree about both mods. My 2010 sedan originally came with 185-65-14 and I upgraded to 205-60-15...made a big difference. Rode much better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome, we have a Note SV also. I haven't notice the steering wheel being too small, but the wife mainly drives it. I think ours came with a leather wheel from the factory. On the Bridgestones (15s, but same tire), they wear fast. We've worn 3/32 off the tires in 10K. They have been OK tires but we haven't had any adverse weather to speak of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.