Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this forum looking up an error code I got when the dreaded "Service Engine Soon" light came on when leaving work Saturday. My 2010 Versa is a great little car and runs fantastic, and best of all, it's paid off--and with 115K miles, it's really just broken in. I've kept up on all routine maintenance, and from what I have read in this forum I can go to the mechanic with confidence regarding the P1421 error code, so they hopefully won't try to take me for a $$$$ ride.

· Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
365 Posts
Hello and welcome...
Personally, I am not familiar with the P1421 code, but I did a quick search on the code and it has something to do with "Cold Start Control". There is a Factory Service Bulletin for this problem issued by Nissan. It appears Nissan needs to just reprogram the ECM. Here is a video where Nissan fixed this person's car for free.
In addition to that, some other possible causes are:
Dirty Air filter or dirty fuel injectors. You did mention you keep up with the maintenance, do you know when the last time you changed the air filter and ran fuel injector cleaner through the fuel system??
If it were my car, I might make a quick phone call to my local Nissan dealer and inquire about having the computer reprogrammed and see if it is free.
Best of luck with the car!!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did see this, and the first thing I did was change the air filter. I was also about 500 miles overdue for an oil change so I had gotten that taken care of in case it was triggering the service engine light. Valvoline apparently had gotten the cold start message and associated it with being a battery issue, because they tried to sell me a battery, but I didn't take the bait on that, which turned out to be the right choice because Auto Zone said that my battery is 100% so not in need of replacement, and they charged $12.99 for the air filter that Valvoline wanted $24.99 for.

Long story slightly less long than it could be, I have an appointment next Wednesday at the Nissan dealership near me to get it looked at and hopefully I won't have to groom 20 extra dogs to pay for it.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to those who advised me on this earlier this month. I got it into the Nissan dealership, and it was just in need of the software update. Very low cost, and Elevated Nissan in Merriam, KS took care of the issue in just a few hours. Everything else in the car they said is in great condition, and if I keep up the maintenance, barring some disaster--or being forced by the government to go electric --that little car will continue serving me well for quite a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts