Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am part of the Nissan Micra community. You may not know too much about it since its not a car sold in the US. However, it is sold in Canada. Its also sold in Mexico under the name "March". This platform has some things in common with the Versa in the US.

I am just starting development of a mass airflow sensor housing for custom air intakes for the HR16DE that the Micra (and Versa) uses. I figured that I would also post my info here as you guys would be interested in it too. I'll be starting a new thread where I share the development process of the part since I find it quite interesting. But, I wanted to pop in and say 'hi' first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently bought a Versa for my daughter who's attending University in New Brunswick. I never had much interest in small cars before that but now find myself checking out every one I see. I think for her next car I'll go with either a Micra, a Chevy Spark or a Mazda 2. She's only 5 feet tall and loves driving a small car, hates driving my truck. How do you find your Micra? I picked the Versa because it had such a good safety rating, is the Micra similar?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can relate, I'm not that short, but I am shorter and love small cars! The Micra does pretty well with safety. The Euro NCAP rated it at 4/5 stars. Here is a bit more detail:

84% for Adult Occupant
79% Child Occupant
58% Pedestrian
57% Safety Assist

In contrast, the Note's ratings are:

86% for Adult Occupant
82% Child Occupant
58% Pedestrian
70% Safety Assist

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello Daox and welcome!

Are you working on the intake just for fun or perhaps as a potential money making venture?

I've thought about creating some such parts with the 3D printer but generally am too busy to really spend the time. Getting the housing right is one thing, also would want to spend some time with a bunch of temperature probes around the engine area searching for the coolest densest pocket of air. If I had more time and resources I'd dabble with it, but as is I have too much else going on. Good luck to you!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
So the prius and insight are old news? My insight got 104 thousand miles and engine problems. Ironically sold it to a guy with one with even worse problems. :surprise

Nice little car here and good mpg with a 5 speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Daox and welcome!

Are you working on the intake just for fun or perhaps as a potential money making venture?

I've thought about creating some such parts with the 3D printer but generally am too busy to really spend the time. Getting the housing right is one thing, also would want to spend some time with a bunch of temperature probes around the engine area searching for the coolest densest pocket of air. If I had more time and resources I'd dabble with it, but as is I have too much else going on. Good luck to you!

The MAF housing is both fun and a money making venture. I have no illusions of grandeur with the project. I just saw a need and know that I can fill it. I currently make a MAF housing for another engine as well so this was no large undertaking. I'm also a mechanical designer by profession and quite enjoy designing parts for fun. If I can make a bit of money in the process, thats great!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the prius and insight are old news? My insight got 104 thousand miles and engine problems. Ironically sold it to a guy with one with even worse problems. :surprise

Nice little car here and good mpg with a 5 speed.
I still have my Prius and my Insight. My wife drive the Prius. The Insight is currently on jack stands getting the transmission reworked. It needs a new input shaft bearing, and some synchro mods to prevent their infamous 2nd gear grind. I'm also modifying the transmission case with a heating jacket while I'm at it which will be a fun modification.

If you haven't noticed, I like to keep a few cars in the driveway. :) Gotta keep things fresh and fun.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Oh... Yeah, Im thinning the heard myself. Im going to replace the versa and sidekick with a subaru impreza. I already got interest in people wanting a versa like mines and the black military style vehicle I drove with a snorkle. >:D

Although I fancy a prius gen 2 I think its a bit old to buy one and break even if not come out a head. The current prius is just ugly and I find I need a pickup truck then anything else. Sure I can get a trailer, but Im considering buying a second used honda odyssey and hacking the rear off making a pick up and vehicle to race the ricers with as Ill add a 150 shot of NOS. :surprise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing