Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
In the PNW 2014 Versa Note SV, Cursed CVT, 1.6 I4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not one of the decent enough ones, one of the shitty ones that were a complete waste of resources and energy to manufacture. It's in my 2014 Versa Note SL or SV (can't recall which), love the car, not so much the trandaxle.

My current project is to try to keep this cute little shit box outta the landfill by swapping the CVT with a conventional Automatic.

Nissan's been as helpful as stage 4 colon cancer in trying to rectify this. Didn't even want to look at the car, just quoted me $3500 to replace the transmission. Not repair, which tells me all I need to know about this particular CVT. Fricking sad.

I also own a last gen Metro, a 1989 Buick Reatta (Google it, 1980's retro futuristic), a 68 Valiant (rolling project).

I like dusty, rusty and unloved things, but this CVT is pushing my tolerance levels...

·
Registered
506 Posts
you probably can swap put the CVT for an AT (much harder would be a manual) but you'll have to replace the ECM too.

ECM is also related to the type of tranny so yours is now with the CVT, I would suggest pull tranny, ecm, bcm and key from the donor AT car.
If your car has the NATS in that case you should be able to start the car, if not with just the ECM should be ok.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NA
you probably can swap put the CVT for an AT (much harder would be a manual) but you'll have to replace the ECM too.

ECM is also related to the type of tranny so yours is now with the CVT, I would suggest pull tranny, ecm, bcm and key from the donor AT car.
If your car has the NATS in that case you should be able to start the car, if not with just the ECM should be ok.
NATS?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I also own a last gen Metro, a 1989 Buick Reatta (Google it, 1980's retro futuristic), a 68 Valiant (rolling project).
That Suzuki Swift...errr Metro was a great car. Mine died in a rear ender.
The Reatta was like the Caddy Allante.....WHY!!!?!

The money you would spend on the Note would be far better spent on the Valiant!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Suzuki Swift...errr Metro was a great car. Mine died in a rear ender.
The Reatta was like the Caddy Allante.....WHY!!!?!

The money you would spend on the Note would be far better spent on the Valiant!!

Why the Reatta? 75,000 miles and itbwas $2000... and I always wanted one. It was supposed to be my commuter car, my truck gets 17 Mpgs freeway... Plus it's like driving a car from an alternate dimension where the sci fi styling of the 80s took off rather than...the styling we see now...

The valiant starts and runs, needs the brakes overhauled. Cheap ass Mopar parts hoses don't last 60 years. Total rip off. 😉 But it's only a couple hundred away from starting, stopping and driving. I'm not going to hot dog it, so it'll keep its weird ass slant 6.

The Versa... is our daily driver and trip car. Sips fuel, is reasonably comfortable and with a ridiculous cargo pod up top it moves a bit o'shit around when needed. It's just over 90k. I can get more outta it. Anything to replace it is gonna run 12k or so... so a new tranny is money well spent to me.

*Added some interior shots of the reatta.
BUT I WOULD TOTALLY rather spend the money on the valiant!
Gadget Font Display device Technology Gas

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

·
Registered
770 Posts
The bulletproof Slant 6! That engine can be suprising, especially in a Dart/Valiant.

I throw my money at my Harleys.

Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Note
12 Posts
Not one of the decent enough ones, one of the shitty ones that were a complete waste of resources and energy to manufacture. It's in my 2014 Versa Note SL or SV (can't recall which), love the car, not so much the trandaxle.

My current project is to try to keep this cute little shit box outta the landfill by swapping the CVT with a conventional Automatic.

Nissan's been as helpful as stage 4 colon cancer in trying to rectify this. Didn't even want to look at the car, just quoted me $3500 to replace the transmission. Not repair, which tells me all I need to know about this particular CVT. Fricking sad.

I like dusty, rusty and unloved things, but this CVT is pushing my tolerance levels...
A swap can be done, but you’ll need the 4 speed RE4F03C auto transmission, the TCM for it, and you’ll also need to swap over the entire front subframe. I know this because I have a 2016 Note myself where the CVT gave up the ghost back in September. I actually bought everything save for the subframe and the 4 speed auto won’t fit with the subframe my car came with, which is a CVT, since the mounting points are different.

I suppose you can have someone fab up some custom mounts so that it bolts into the subframe that your Note already has but that may be more trouble than it’s worth. If you’re looking to keep it forever try to find a low mileage CVT for cheap and swap that in there, worst case scenario the only thing you’ll be paying Nissan to do is the labor to install it.

That’s all the info I can give to you right now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I
A swap can be done, but you’ll need the 4 speed RE4F03C auto transmission, the TCM for it, and you’ll also need to swap over the entire front subframe. I know this because I have a 2016 Note myself where the CVT gave up the ghost back in September. I actually bought everything save for the subframe and the 4 speed auto won’t fit with the subframe my car came with, which is a CVT, since the mounting points are different.

I suppose you can have someone fab up some custom mounts so that it bolts into the subframe that your Note already has but that may be more trouble than it’s worth. If you’re looking to keep it forever try to find a low mileage CVT for cheap and swap that in there, worst case scenario the only thing you’ll be paying Nissan to do is the labor to install it.

That’s all the info I can give to you right now.
The last of the 4spds (2014-2017) is nothing to write home about either. Ours is going strong in our 2015 base model Versa sedan yet, but it's a lighter 4spd than was used up until ~2013. It does not have a dipstick. It has a 'hidden' charge tube and a pan drain plug with a riser pipe.

If the subfames are different, the half shafts may also be. The floor shifter is also different on the CVTs vs the 4spds. CVT's are PRNDL, where the 4AT is PRND21. There's so much to doing this swap, like said, it's not worth it.

You hate to say it, but $3500 is cheap if that's the total cost to install a reman'd CVT with some type of warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts

The CVT Tranny has never been good even when Subaru put them in there cars back in the 80s they were shit then and now they are for sure to take a poop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts