Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2013 Nissan versa CVT. It's been great without any issues until the week before Easter. My husband pulled to the side of road to grab something from the hood. He puts the car back in drive and it doesn't go.
No noises no warning, no codes to be ready just doesn't want to accelerate. It's not all the time just more often then not. You can push gas all the way to the floor and it my creep up to like 20 mph tops all while rpms are staying relatively low. When you put the car in P N it revs really well. Sometimes when I'm driving it home and it's having a fit it will what we call BOOST or jump into action and take off but I'm at a loss. I really need help. Also my side brake lights do not work the middle one does.
List of new parts that have not fixed it
catalytic converter
MAF
accelerator pedal sensor
brake light switch
***in the process of changing throttle body ( our new one we got in today was faulty) fluid leaked all out the back side when we got it hooked up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It sounds like your Versa is in limp mode that usually happens when a safety issue is detected by the diagnostic system. Have you tried pulling codes to determine if some are held in memory?

·
Registered
345 Posts
No codes makes it a tough one, but collecting some live data while it's happening should help.

It's kind of sad that all those parts were thrown at it and you never know if those replacement parts are any good or not, especially if they're aftermarket parts store parts. Many of those are junk right out of the package.

I wonder if something as "simple" as a shorted brake light bulb socket could trick the car into thinking the brake and gas pedal are being pressed at the same time, which could throw it into limp mode.

Could also be a corroded ground somewhere or low system voltage due to a failing battery or alternator. Dirty/ corroded battery connections too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a friend's husband who knows cars that has offered to come today to check it out and do a live code stream(?) So Im hoping maybe he can help us figure out what's causing this. I'll update once I have more info. Thank you so much for all your help

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm with poman, check the rear lights for water. It's a known issue on these.

Also, not all code scans are the same. You need to use a tool that can talk to the whole car. Most don't do that, certainly not the ones are parts stores. Hopefully your friend has one, but I'd have him start at the tail lights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any updates?
Sorry it took so long but after having it fully worked up by my friend's husband and the mans mechanics I'm buying the care from It has been decided it is the cvt 😭 not able to pay 3000-4200 for a used one and service fees to replace it I actually traded it back to a 99 Honda Accord. It's so much easier to fool with and there not a million sensors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry it took so long but after having it fully worked up by my friend's husband and the mans mechanics I'm buying the care from It has been decided it is the cvt 😭 not able to pay 3000-4200 for a used one and service fees to replace it I actually traded it back to a 99 Honda Accord. It's so much easier to fool with and there not a million sensors.
Yes i hear you.. considering the same if mine fails..id want anew cvt but may not be able to get one.. sorry to hear that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts