Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ...

Wow, I've very rarely asked for any help as the car has been so good to me.

However, this past weekend we changed her battery for a new one.

Since then, my stock 6 disc cd changer no longer works. It makes a clicking noise as though it is trying to retrieve a disc, but it keeps saying "MECHANICAL ERR". Then a few seconds later it says "EJECT DISC".

I have tried pushing the eject button numerous times, and have tried holding the button for minutes, and NOTHING. PLEASE HELP!

I have 6 CDs in there that a) I don't want to lose, and b) I use my cd changer all the time so I want it back up and running.

When I googled the problem, it is amazing at how many other people have had the same issue with their stock 6 cd changer after replacing the battery. The bad news is, not one found a solution. Some of them had to pay for a new radio while others paid hundreds of dollars to have it checked out at the dealership.

I'd like to avoid the dealership as I doubt my extended warranty will cover this, but I really want it working again.

My dad will try disconnecting the battery this weekend and reconnecting it.

What other options do I have?

Please help!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ash, here is a link to a thread I added to earlier this year. Some stuff you need to reset.

As far as why the cd won't eject, I did not have a problem when I changed my battery. I did it myself in the white SL. Just had to reset the clock, radio presets, driver side auto down/up and sunroof.

Reset Procedures After Battery Replacement [Archive] - Nissan Versa Forums

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reset needed was to reprogram the clock, radio stations and "one up/down" window feature. The sunroof didn't need to be reprogrammed.

Since then the 6 disc changer has not been working.

How can swapping a battery break the CD player?

There was another member who posted the same issue, but he never responded back after asking the question, so I don't even know if he fixed the issue.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Hopefully disconnecting the battery works. Can try pulling the fuse before that. If all else fails and its garbage I may be interested in it if it has aux port. But let's hope it doesn't come to that.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hey guys ...

Wow, I've very rarely asked for any help as the car has been so good to me.

However, this past weekend we changed her battery for a new one.

Since then, my stock 6 disc cd changer no longer works. It makes a clicking noise as though it is trying to retrieve a disc, but it keeps saying "MECHANICAL ERR". Then a few seconds later it says "EJECT DISC".

I have tried pushing the eject button numerous times, and have tried holding the button for minutes, and NOTHING. PLEASE HELP!

I have 6 CDs in there that a) I don't want to lose, and b) I use my cd changer all the time so I want it back up and running.

When I googled the problem, it is amazing at how many other people have had the same issue with their stock 6 cd changer after replacing the battery. The bad news is, not one found a solution. Some of them had to pay for a new radio while others paid hundreds of dollars to have it checked out at the dealership.

I'd like to avoid the dealership as I doubt my extended warranty will cover this, but I really want it working again.

My dad will try disconnecting the battery this weekend and reconnecting it.

What other options do I have?

Please help!
Only suggestion I would have would be to try and find out who the real manufacturer of the unit is, and then go to their web page, and see if they have any support information.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sorry to say but any shop will tell you that. You could have surged the unit when putting the batter in. The procedure for battery replacement is the positive is the first one on and the last one off. If you didn't do that its possible it surged and fried the radio.(wich is what it sounds like)

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sorry to say but any shop will tell you that. You could have surged the unit when putting the batter in. The procedure for battery replacement is the positive is the first one on and the last one off. If you didn't do that its possible it surged and fried the radio.(wich is what it sounds like)
Well I am pretty sure my dad knows how to install a battery. So that's not the issue here.

I'm just asking if anyone else has experienced the same thing? I was hoping that the other individual who had the same issue in the past found a way to fix it... but they have not made a post since :( My dad thought we might need a code to enter as other vehicles online reported that they needed a code entered by the dealer. When I asked them about it, they had never heard of that?

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Have you thought about taking out the radio, finding a way to remove your CD's and then plugging it back up to see if the problem is fixed? That may work..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine is the exact same way; has been for about a year now. I just came to terms with it because I never use CDs anymore. I just keep trying day after day, a few good knocks later it let loose of the cd. Also, I did not replace battery when this happened so while may be a correlation not sure about causation in this case.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wish We got that Radio in Our Tiida's.
The new Almera was released here a few weeks ago, and I thought.. AH, a versa 2014 model.. I was mistaken.. But it has the new radio with bt,mp3 etc in.. So Now I want that one :)..

if you have Extended warrenty on your car, usually it does cover the Radio aswell.. and can be replaced or repared by a Nissan dealership. Just check what your extended warrenty Contract covers. if it says something about electronics and Stock radio, you are sorted.. (they will need to take it appart for you to get your cd's out though)

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you thought about taking out the radio, finding a way to remove your CD's and then plugging it back up to see if the problem is fixed? That may work..
I'm going to take it out of the dash this weekend if I have time.

I want it to work again because I always listen to CDs in the car, and there are 6 in there that I want to get back out.

After speaking to more Nissans, not one had ever heard of the stock CD player not working anymore. So it's not a common thing like the FPR.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.