Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 nissan versa with remote keyless entry and ignition. I tried to turn the car off today and the key wouldnt go all the way into the lock postion, so I cant fully turn the car off and I cannt lock the doors because of this. The ignition works to start the car it just and turn it off it just wont go into the LOCK position.Please Help! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Okay, simple steps, try wiggling the knob, make sure ur completly in Netrual or park, and move ur steering wheel when in the on position. If your steering wheel is in lock position or any of the other things, u will have troubles with the ignition turning. Tey those. Have u refered to the manual? If still none of this are working, and u still in warrenty, call nissan. Either way, u prolly wanna call nissan, lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried everything.. the actual key just gets stuck in the ignition. And the steering wheel is completly free I can start the car drive it put it in park and then can't turn it completly off.. and my warrenty is up!?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I dunno whta to say. It sounds like a serious issue, and something that we cant help u with. U gonna need to see a professional about this.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
They might be able to extend the regular warranty for you a couple of months, who knows. You could bring it into the dealer, have them take a look at it. Sounds like something of high priority.

·
Registered
927 Posts
usually wiggling will work for me :p i think its part of the drivetrein or drivetrain warranty and its usually longer than the regular 30k miles warranty :p probably 60 just have them check it out :p any who worst part is that they will rip you off like they always do and independent mechanic sucks because they rip you off too or do a poor job :p

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
drivetrain is engine and transmission only. All else falls under the 3/36,000 warranty. So he is out of luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the exact same thing has just happened to me except i am unable to shift out of park. i have to force the button in from park and then shift to reverse and from there i can shift to drive easily.

not sure what to do except take it to the dealer. i checked my fuses to see if any were blown and nothing. not sure what the deal is..

·
Registered
1 Posts
similar issue

Put the key in the ignition, does not want to turn. several attempts resulted in it starting. Factory keys 2009 with 55K on it. Not sure if there is an interlock. Steering wheel is free. Please Help! Im a Jeep tech, this is the wife's car and she needs it to work! :blue flower:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Has happened in many of my cars. I always just wiggled the steering wheel while turning key, [or while taking out of Park]. I've never seen it more serious than that. Seems to happen when steering wheel cranked while parked.
Let us know if dealer is helpful!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 nissan versa with remote keyless entry and ignition. I tried to turn the car off today and the key wouldnt go all the way into the lock postion, so I cant fully turn the car off and I cannt lock the doors because of this. The ignition works to start the car it just and turn it off it just wont go into the LOCK position.Please Help! Thanks!
I have the same problem with my 2008 Versa. The ignition wont turn to lock position. Wiggling the steering wheel and shifter doesn't make it lock. If anyone knows what the cause and cure is I would appreciate the help.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went all over the internet to find a fix to this problem and couldn't find a single one. And, I just fixed it. My 2008 Nissan Versa had a key that wouldn't fully turn to the lock position in the ignition (to get it out). I'd just have to wiggle it while pressing backwards to get it to eventually get there.

So, first I took off the middle console panels/plastic pieces. I got down to where I could see the gear shifter. On the right passenger side you can see a cable that comes into the assembly (it connects under the dash into the ignition and prevents the key from being removed when the car is not in park). So, after looking at this cable and seeing how everything works (and watching youtube videos that didn't quite address the problem), I found that if you pop the cable from its little slot (just above the floor), it becomes more flexible/loose. Then, you just rotate out the end of the cable from the gear shifter unit. The end is grey/silver metal. Once out, I just had to losen the plastic connector so that the metal piece sticking out was shorter. By doing this, it puts more tension on that cable that goes back to the ignition, and when its in park, tells it its ok to have the key removed. I tested it out and put everything back and now it works fine. I saw folks cleaning dust and grime out, mine didn't really have that problem, just needed to be adjusted. I don't know if it was out from the start or if it got out of whack along the way, but it now works like its supposed to.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If you have no children to worry about you can always simply defeat that mechanism to never work at all. What I do on all my cars. It a safety thing to stop children from enabling the car to move. It's useless overprotecting BS to thinking people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts