Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I need some place to get these parts to stop my 2016 Versa Note from weaving, wallowing, and feeling like it will tip over as I am already getting sick from it and it only has 600 miles on it.
Where to get a rear Anti-Sway bar? And a thicker front unit?
And a higher rate of coil springs for all four corners will help as well. I really need a firmer ride but am not ready to get coil overs for it.
Any cold air intake available?
And why won't parts for an older Versa not fit? Did Nissan really change it all that much????
Tnx
G

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cold water: What you "need" is to break free of this self-imposed idea that you "need" to waste money on these frivolous parts in order to fool your brain into thinking your economy commuter car is going to handle like a BMW. Its all in your head. The car is what it is, and it is fine. It gets from point A to point B, and thats all its ever going to do. It sways in a light breeze and wanders all over the road. Too bad. Cheap car, this is what you bought. Its not going to accelerate like a beamer either, not with a cold air intake or exhaust or nitrous or whatever you dream up. Its going to get you from place to place, for cheap, with reasonable reliability and the only obstacle to that reliability is if you make yourself believe the car
"needs" to have a bunch of its perfectly fine OEM parts removed and replaced with overpriced ricer crud.

Edit: The one thing that might help a bunch and be worth a few bucks, is better tires than the OEM stockers. Notice I did not say bigger, the rims are fine, better tires. I hope to upgrade mine before winter.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Okay, I need some place to get these parts to stop my 2016 Versa Note from weaving, wallowing, and feeling like it will tip over as I am already getting sick from it and it only has 600 miles on it.
Where to get a rear Anti-Sway bar? And a thicker front unit?
And a higher rate of coil springs for all four corners will help as well. I really need a firmer ride but am not ready to get coil overs for it.
Any cold air intake available?
And why won't parts for an older Versa not fit? Did Nissan really change it all that much????
Tnx
G
The Note already comes with a rear sway bar integrated into the torsion beam. Not sure about where to get a thicker front unit, coil springs, or the other parts you mention. I replaced the stock rear shocks with Monroe shocks because one of the shocks was leaking oil so I just replaced both the left and right sides at the same time as a pair.

I feel that the Note's stock suspension is already firm. I guess Nissan tried to compensate for the tall height and narrow width of the Note (although the Note is just as wide (66.7 inches without the outside mirrors) as the 90's Altima, Camry, or Accord). Coupled with the rock-hard stock tires (Bridgestone Ecopias on my S+), the ride is too firm for my taste. Yes, the Note sways when driving in the wind, I'll agree with that.

I personally wouldn't modify this car but that's just my personal preference. I like my car stock. The only "mod" I did is convert the manual windows and door locks to power windows and door locks. That being said, it's your car and you have the freedom to do whatever you want to it. I respect how you care about your car and want to personalize it to your tastes. Hopefully it will mean you enjoy your car and keep it for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
600 miles? Did you test drive the car first? Id be back at the dealer if it was me. I think the v handles quite well. Did you check the tire psi in all 5 of them? 600 miles isnt even enough to break in the tires. Those take several thousand alone.

Me, I added a rear sway for taking off and on ramps at highway speeds and added 1 inch spacers to the rear springs so the car sits level.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cold water: What you "need" is to break free of this self-imposed idea that you "need" to waste money on these frivolous parts in order to fool your brain into thinking your economy commuter car is going to handle like a BMW. Its all in your head. The car is what it is, and it is fine. It gets from point A to point B, and thats all its ever going to do. It sways in a light breeze and wanders all over the road. Too bad. Cheap car, this is what you bought. Its not going to accelerate like a beamer either, not with a cold air intake or exhaust or nitrous or whatever you dream up. Its going to get you from place to place, for cheap, with reasonable reliability and the only obstacle to that reliability is if you make yourself believe the car
"needs" to have a bunch of its perfectly fine OEM parts removed and replaced with overpriced ricer crud.

Edit: The one thing that might help a bunch and be worth a few bucks, is better tires than the OEM stockers. Notice I did not say bigger, the rims are fine, better tires. I hope to upgrade mine before winter.
While i agree advising him not to blow money with unrealistic expectations, i think you are being far to aggressive about it. Saying that an economy car will get you from a to b and nothing else no matter what you do is far too general and with that wording... wrong.

Again i agree he shouldn't blow a bunch of money with unrealistic exceptions, but the same could have been said about my 07 versa.
I went with 7 inch wide motegi sp10s, potenza g019 grid tires(which lasted 6-7 years all year around and were better in buffalo winters than the studded winterforce snows i have now durning winter and equal to the firestone summer tires that were 20mm wider that replaced them lol) nismo s tune suspension, and a home depot special welded up short ram for my intake. Not alot of money invested and ive had plenty of "better" cars fall behind thinking "its an economy pos, i can take this ramp at the same speed as them". most cant keep up and a few have crashed(the same guy in his z3 twice, i dont feel bad for him, he should have learned considering it was the same off ramp)

while he may not be able to make alot more power, he can certainly reduce body roll and increase grip and at least mitigate some of the problems he is having

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If you are equating those handling issues as needed to avoid 'crashing' then I would seriously state that somebody is already in way over his head. And the Z3 issue was the driver NOT the car..........the wording there was NOT wrong, an economy car is SUPPOSED to do all things in general, you pick a more specific car when you specialize or you are incompetent doing the specialization. Beyond that anything we can do to keep younger people from impacting on the side of a bridge or somesuch is NOT overemphasizing anything at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yall need to get off your high horse. If the dude wants to customize his car. He can do that. The more people upgrade their cars, the more the aftermarket grows. That means more "upgrades" and alternative parts for people like you and me.

Currently, there isn't a lot in nissan's line up that supports the "tuner"/ young driver enthusiast. The versa could potentially fit that niche for those who cannot afford to purchase a brand new nismo sentra.

Swapping out parts for more performance oriented parts is a great gateway into learning mechanical skills either as a hobby or later on a profession.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree, the issue was the driver of the z3, but even still the old z3's were an overly soft wollowy poser car for hair dressers and guys with more money than talent. Take BMW off the pedestal, not every BMW is a M3.

Also you are the one over your head, no one said changing tires and suspension was required for his second gen to not get in an accident. He wanted to make the car less vulnerable to wind and probably grooves in the road he is catching from having such a small track and wheel base. The first gen versa was similar in this regard. Once i changed rims to 7 inch wide motegi even sticking with 185's the problem was mostly eliminated. As far as body roll on first gen versa i never found it to be a problem with the progressive springs it came with, if you actually leaned on the suspension it firmed up and just gave you enough body moment to feel what the inertial transitions were doing and could plant and rotate the car basically any way you wanted. I would actually say the car was more fun with oe suspension, but for more pure grip driving the nismo s tune was better, particularly for tire wear.

Also gmansyz, coil-overs dont have to be super stiff, that is part of the reason people think that econo-boxes cant handle is because of people that immediately slam and brick the cars and think its supposed to make the car handle better... it doesn't. As far as going for a road setup, you go as soft as you can, but as stiff as you need to be. Body roll isnt always bad, just uncontrolled body roll. You want some body movement so the car is communicating what the weight transfers are doing so you can load tires correctly

"an economy car is SUPPOSED to do all things in general, you pick a more specific car when you specialize or you are incompetent doing the specialization."
No one said i was specializing at all, there in lies you biggest mistake thinking that tuning a car has to be an all or nothing affair, and in fact i made my car more generalized with my setup.
The slightly wider rims added more high speed stability as im not permanently riding in the worn grooves from normal track cars, tires and suspension added more grip and stability, and the short ram intake greatly evened out the throttle response and power band over more scenarios. When i got the car with the oe intake setup, the little air scoop while great for cross country highway millage, was awful for tooling around town, in fact i named my car Jan just so when i was tring to do 30 in town and the intake cought a wind gust and accelerated a few mph at same throttle i could say "stoooop it Jan..." The short ram i welded up actually cost me alittle power in some scenario's(high speed/low rpm) but gave me a meatier power band in most others.

But ignoring vulnerability to wind or ruts in road, back to adding mods to avoid crashes, is it necessary... no, chances are you wont need any more grip or agility than you car came with. However should the situation arise where you can use the extra grip/agility/braking to avoid hitting a kid running out in the road, or a deer, or a car slamming on the brakes on a highway ramp its nice to have it

I didnt specialize my car at all, its a better all arounder than it was stock.
I can load 500 pounds or tools(in my car right now, if i dont have my rear seats in i dont have to drive other people's kids around :p)
i can out grip, brake, agility a stock a stock 240/na 300zx(ive had both)
i can drive through a blizzard(did it last week)

Slamming/bricking your car isnt tuning to handle, its for looks. Dont think just because someone you know was bad at suspension tuning that a chassis youve tried cant handle, or that you always have to sacrifice everthing to be able ot handle. There are tradeoffs for sure, but if you do it rights they should be very minimal for what you gain

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You don't need wider rims or tires at all if you simply learn to pick correct tread patterns to minimize pavement grooving effects......my '11 Versa S has no wander at all on grooved pavement. The body lean is quite minimal as well. STRONG winds can be felt but not bad enough to complain about and what you get with a slab-sided car.

On the aftermarket parts thing.................nobody is going to invest in hop up part development for cars that if loaded harder will spit the CVTs out on the sidewalk even faster than they already do. They would be stupid business people if they did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will agree that tread pattern is also a good way to minimize some of the effects of road wear/grooving/settling. How ever living in around Buffalo NY the settling of the road can be quite severe on main roads/highways from freezing/thaws as well the wide variety of weather conditions make choosing a tread pattern a little more difficult. I was to deal with the normal light fluffy/slippery snow, heavy wet lake effect snow, occasional ice, high winds, and massive changes in temp from week to week. Last week it was -2 deg, two days ago it was mid/upper 40's, today in the 20's and the whole region is basically a swamp. Most of the country could probably get away with just changing out tread patterns to sort out the ride, but the main roads around here can have half inch deep grooves from the track of normal cars/suvs/trucks so for me made more sense to widen the effective track of the car and keep my choices of tread pattern open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
also yes cvt's are bad mmkay
i have the 6mt, but even if even if someone does have an auto or cvt they can increase grip with better tires at least and learn braking and inertial control.
Every car can be a learning experience to build upon,
86 town car- restraint

91 tempo - fine inertial control(so much suspension travel you can basically pick up a corner 8 inches and float bumper over an obstacle, importance of managing heat/pace/wear(was easy to overcook brakes in the hills)

91 nx2000- importance of light weight/good braking and suspension balance(a buddy had one aswell but it had eibach springs on it and it basically ruined the car from stock.) if i could have another one i would, for me that was the car i sat in and just new i belonged

Hard-body truck- how to use the drive-line to control inertial movements

s13- importance of tires and learning that sometimes a softer suspension is faster in the real world

s14- importance of stability and smoothness (also 300zx brakes are awesome on s14 if the car is setup to be stable under heavy braking)

z32- smoothness, and that your hero's arnt always as good you hoped. great gt car still one of my favorite looking cars of all time

b15 ser- time moves on, old hero's cant always keep up, how to deal with snap over-steer(dealer sold me one with a bent rear frame that was never repaired correctly and lied about it so they paid for half of my next car :p) was an auto(taught me not all auto's are bad) and importance of not just initial braking points, but also when and how you let off the brakes and how to balance the car with just braking

q45- just relax and enjoy a big ol boat, how much just rims and tires can change the personality of a car

07 versa- sometimes rule of thumb isnt right. Sacrifice peak power for more usable power, weight balance doesn't always have to be 50/50 to be ideal(dont put too much weight in rear of hatch in winter or car becomes too polar in inertial transitions and twitchy), and really just blending together techniques from previous examples

even a pos 91 tempo taught me alot, just because a car isn't a miata or m3 doesn't mean you cant have fun/learn driving technique/improve. Learning and understanding the limitations of a chassis is an important step in progressing and every car no matter how slow or fast can teach you something

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Nothing wrong there at all, I consider myself blessed as here in Texas we don't get those issues. All I have to worry about is tires dying from rubber cracking in the heat. AND the 9 million nails I run over every year from loser construction guys that purposely open trunk tailgates to let the nails loose so they don't have to clean the beds.

I literally have to fix at least 20-30 flats a year and quit paying for road hazard as the time lost simply waiting was so high I was paying the tire companies to get my stuff fixed even for free.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts