Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 days I’ve been doing standard maintenance on my 2015 verse note. Did plugs and coil overs, and a oil change. After the plugs and coil over job was done I had a check engine light on. And after the oil change was dumping white smoke that smelt like water out the exhaust. Normally I would say it’s a head gasket... but wait, today, went to start checking for a blown gasket, there is NO Foam on the radiator cap, no coolant in the oil on the dip stick. What could the problem be? So I called the local Nissan dealer, they said to bring it in and have them look at it, so that’s where I’m at. My car is sitting at Nissan now. But only having a tech look over it and find my problem. I still plan on fixing the issue myself. Need help/ advise please!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
First on the agenda is to get the code read to see what the error code is. If you did not have a check engine light before you did the work, you may want to revisit the areas you went into to make sure that all wiring and electrical plugs are intact and connected properly. As far as the white smoke...............if it a appeared for only a couple of seconds and stopped, it might be condensation in the exhaust system. A blown head gasket will usually pressurize the coolant system and cause to rubber coolant hoses to become rock hard when the car is started cold. If you have the car at the dealership, you should have your answer shortly and depending on their findings it will give you an idea of the scope of the repairs needed...............Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First on the agenda is to get the code read to see what the error code is. If you did not have a check engine light before you did the work, you may want to revisit the areas you went into to make sure that all wiring and electrical plugs are intact and connected properly. As far as the white smoke...............if it a appeared for only a couple of seconds and stopped, it might be condensation in the exhaust system. A blown head gasket will usually pressurize the coolant system and cause to rubber coolant hoses to become rock hard when the car is started cold. If you have the car at the dealership, you should have your answer shortly and depending on their findings it will give you an idea of the scope of the repairs needed...............Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Well right before I decided to take it to the dealer, the check engine light came off, and shit ton of white smoke still came out, still had barely any acceleration. By the time I got to the dealer the smoke stopped, light stayed off, but acceleration was still lacking. A couple hours later they called me, told me Nissan extended most cars transmission warranties, and mine is still covered and it may be my transmission. I have to wait till tomorrow to have their transmission expert (lol) look at it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Assuming coil overs are ignition coils. Did you replace those? If so, what brand? Aftermarkets can be junk right out of the box. If the check engine light was blinking/flashing, this means a misfire. If you drove it long like that, your catalytic converter will be toast.

I wouldn't have done anything until I plugged my code reader in and checked for codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well off the bat I gotta agree with PoMan…however lets consider the "oops I forgot to tell you factor", did any oil drip and work its way into the intakes, (Remember you have to remove the plastic intake manifold to change the sparkies) and could be while you were wiping down the machined surface clean to reinstall the manifold some liquid might have drippled in?? Secondly please triple check the wire harness that takes a major bend over by the last bolt on the right side..could have gotten chaffed just enough to put a micro crack in the insulation and is partially finding ground. good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Got it back. Nothing was really wrong with it. I was going off what the idiot at oreilys told me to refill the oil too... needless to say I added a bit too much and oil was trying to escape out the motor how ever it could. Side note, found out Nissan extended their warranties on their transmissions, to 100,000. So guys with newer nissans, take it into the dealer and have them check it out.

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note S Plus
162 Posts
Glad that it was resolved. I was going to say that you can get the check engine light code checked out for free at O'Reilly, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts/CarQuest, etc., but you already went to O'Reilly. I need to go to one of these places soon as I have a check engine light of my own and I don't have an OBD2 reader. I disconnected the battery a couple of times. Both times, the check engine light goes away the first time I run the car but the second time I run the car, the check engine light turns right back on. It could be that I broke something or forgot to plug something back in when I installed a new module and wiring for my aftermarket power door lock kit. I soldered the power door lock kit to the ignition wiring to supply power to the door locks; maybe I fried the ignition wiring...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts