Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Just joined the forum today! Hope to make some friends (if you're local, LOL), and get some info on mods, etc.

My name is Underscore_Hero, living in Honolulu, HI. Got my Versa 1.8S HB back in January, and I love this car!

I'm also in a conundrum...I'm avg (on a good day) only 200 miles/tank, which equates to 16-17mpg......which is nearly half of the listed mpg. I live in Hawaii, so I have AC on at level 3, most of the time, then knock it down to 2 once it's cool. Would that be such a huge factor?

Car spec:
Versa 1.8S HB
4 spd Auto

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Welcome.
That mpg is low. Even when I drive the car hard with A/C on in the city I'm still averaging at least 24-26 mpg per tank. My summer mileage has improved to around 30 mpg. But I'm not too easy on the car.

Do you drive the car hard? All city driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome.
That mpg is low. Even when I drive the car hard with A/C on in the city I'm still averaging at least 24-26 mpg per tank. My summer mileage has improved to around 30 mpg. But I'm not too easy on the car.

Do you drive the car hard? All city driving?

I do mostly city driving, I only drive "harder" on freeways....overall I keep it between 3-4k rpm, 2-3k rpm in the city. I have alot of hills and traffic, but the distances aren't far.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum that is a bit low if I'm really hard on mine I can see down to 19 mpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is your driving style like though?

Even with hard driving it does seem really low.

In the city, I drive a little aggressive, maybe 30-40 mph on straightaways. In traffic, I try to drive smoothly, with the least amount of braking. The only time I drive near 60-80 is on freeways, and freeway entrances. Hawaii has alot of hills, but nothing too steep.

Most of the time, I'm driving with the AC on level 3, then level 2 when its cool. If I'm alone in the afternoon, when it's cool outside, I go level 1 or open the windows with the AC off.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, sent Nissan an Email, hopefully they'll get back to me.....maybe that's why the car was on sale :(

Brand New for $15k including tax and dest.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hello everyone

Just joined the forum today! Hope to make some friends (if you're local, LOL), and get some info on mods, etc.

My name is Underscore_Hero, living in Honolulu, HI. Got my Versa 1.8S HB back in January, and I love this car!

I'm also in a conundrum...I'm avg (on a good day) only 200 miles/tank, which equates to 16-17mpg......which is nearly half of the listed mpg. I live in Hawaii, so I have AC on at level 3, most of the time, then knock it down to 2 once it's cool. Would that be such a huge factor?

Car spec:
Versa 1.8S HB
4 spd Auto
Hi & Welcome to the forum

Well, your MPG does seem pretty low.
I do get high 30MPG 40MPG sometimes but only on the highway and the first 1/4 tank. there are a few other factors involved.
I can only get really high 30s, between 38MPG and maybe a 39MPG is the first 1000+ miles after an oil change. once the oil gets older and darker, my MPG drops to 37MPG.
Next, I keep my tires at 40psi. they say 44psi max but I feel 40psi is more than enough.
Next factor, I keep the RPMs 2000RPMs and 2500RPMs maybe 3000RPMs but i try to avoid the rush. the way I see is, more power, more fuel. I also try to leave home early to avoid the rush. so when I drive I stay on the right lane following the car infront and it doesn't bother me because I have plenty of time to get to my destination. I do the speedlimit, maybe 5MPH over but 90% of the time, cars pass me by. my average speed on the highway is between 55MPH and 60MPH.
Next factor, city driving, I leave plenty of space between me and the car infront so that I don't have to hit the brakes and the gas so many times.
I drive slow but I give people the option to go around me if they want to.
Next factor, I have a 6 speed tranny, I use 89 octane fuel, valvoline max life 5/30 changed every 3,000 miles and my Versa now has 89,000 miles.
Next factor, where i live there's not so much rush traffic. when I drive in Atlanta, GA my MPG drops, not sure how much, but down there is a total different driving style so I have to change my driving habits according to that specific place. example, when the red light turns green and if you don't go that second...people blow their horn so there's lots of rush. turning green arrows don't stay green for too long, they're very short so people get mad if you don't go fast and I don't blame them.
so it all depends on where you live, how you drive, and the other factors.
hope that helps man

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, so I was searching around forums and such...

Did anyone else get 16-17 mpg avg during the break-in period?

I'm only at 3000 miles.....do you think it will get better over time?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Will definitely get better over time. Some people don't see improvement till after 10k!
Funny too about driving styles: one person's "aggresive" is another's "gentle". That's why its handy to communicate at what revs we shift or drive at:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok...so I did a test, and got a full tank of gas, and drove uber conservatively.....same speed as my mom's driving. So far, I got through 1 quarter of a tank in 55 miles. So assuming I have a 13.2 gallon tank, 1 quarter is 3.3 gallons, so that makes my mileage 16.66 mpg :(

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slight update on this, (don't mind me, it's like personal notes) I've now gotten 7000k miles on it, and even when I'm driving hard, I get 60mpg per 1/4 tank, about 18mpg.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Did you ever hear back from nissan? Im at 2800 miles and getting in the high 20s when I do all city driving..about 30-31mpg with highway and city....Somethings gotta give!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Weird... I bought a 2012 nissan 1.8 hatch, and when I first filled the tank my self, wrote the miles down etc, then refilled my tank I was getting 25-27 mpg (at that time I had about 300+ miles on her). I certainly would do all that you can to see why the mpg's are so low.
I have about 4,500 miles on her now, and I am finally hitting 30 mpg now.

BTW, welcome to the forum, it's a great community.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nissan tech said.....because Hawaii has lots of hills, that might cause a dip in mpg. I have yet to do the 30 miles gas test, where you fill to the click, drive 30 miles, fill to the click again, and divide the amount of gas to the mileage. All I know is, at 1/4 tank left, I run about 150-190 miles. The high end usually appears of I drive the highways more often. We don't get long stretches of highways unless we going cross island, like Downtown Honolulu to Wahiawa is only 22 miles.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check this out! Changed my driving habit, and driving with no traffic today around the island, pretty good. Uphills killed it a lil bit, but still a solid range.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.