Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you probably know, I recently converted my Honda Accord from an automatic to a manual. I did lose some of the pictures during the process, but heres what I have....in no specific order.

New parts

First thing I did was to go ahead and get the actual pedals swapped for the conversion.

Auto brake pedal removed

Manual brake pedal installed. This was possibly the most irritating part of the whole conversion. If requires you to be upside down with little room to move at all. Once you get the brake pedal in, you then have to blindly use a pair of needle nose pliers and try to hook the spring onto the new pedal. This of course is after you either hook the pedal but the spring comes off the car or the spring just falls on the floor which requires you to get out of the car, find it, and then get back in upside down to start over.

Next up is to install the clutch master cylinder along with the clutch pedal assembly. Ignore the wiring mess....it is on my to do list to be cleaned up.

I didnt have a hole saw so as you can see I had to drill quite a few small holes and then punch it out.

I then smoothed it out and sprayed it down with a zinc rich primer to prevent rust on the exposed medal. Here, I was able to get the master cylinder in and avoid any sort of cutting or tears. 2 spacers need to be added on the studs.

This is looking straight up underneath the dashboard and is directly below the cowl and windshield wiper motor. Here you have to drill a hole to line up with the assembly for a bolt to help secure it and prevent the clutch pedal assembly from bending when used. It was more difficult because people who remove the wiper motors and arms have a hell of a time installing them correctly again. They have issues of the wipers ramming against the side of the windshield and destroying the motors/wiper plastic bushings. I dont think I took a picture but the bolt was tucked back in the cowl and could only be accessed by long pliers.

Installed! This too took quite a bit of time to get everything positioned up correctly and would have helped had I had a second person.

Here is the master cylinder. I ordered a custom $80 stainless steel line from Bonaco that goes directly from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. This save a TON of time and headaches by avoiding Hondas original dampener system.

Now to remove the auto shifter assembly.

Removed. Now I have access to the auto shifter linkage

Adios!

After removal, you need to save the plug to wire up the clutch safety switch and cruise control along with a couple other things.

Everything wired up correctly

Now to get the wiring over to the clutch pedal

Transmission arrived in "lovely" shape. According to the salvage yard, it only had 82k miles!!!

Heres where the heart of the beast resides! So far the strut bar, intake, battery, cables, and the starter have been removed.

Sacrificed a screwdriver for the axle nut.

I replaced the lower ball joints as well....but they ended up getting cuts in the boot during this swap so theyll have to be replaced again soon. NOTE: O'Reilys has the best designed kit for removing the balljoints from Hondas. Advance Auto/Autozone were a terrible setup but I had to use theirs. When I rented the O'Reilys kit, some had crushed the adapter and O'Reilys thought I did it so make sure you examine rental tools before leaving the store.

Instead of removing the exhaust to get some bolts needed to remove the shift linakage way back in there. I just went ahead and drilled a couple holes big enough to get a socket in.

Manual shifter linakge

In the car: This required 8 new bushings as the auto ones were not interchangeable. I had to wait almost 2 months to get the bushings as hondapartsnow, majestichonda, and other places kept cancelling my order saying they werent available. Turns out, there were only 6 in the ENTIRE country. So I eventually got those and just made 2 myself.

ECU swapped out for the exact same car as mine, except the manaul version. On the 94-95 Accords, the TCU is not integrated into the ECU so all you have to do is unplug it. Would have made it a bit more simple.

Oil pan was leaking so I had a Honda Tech replace it with HondaBond. However, when I started the car it started pissing out oil. Went ahead and got a new oil pan and OEM oil pan gasket. We also replaced the rear main seal during the swap.

Transmission is out! However, we did miss a bolt and took a small chunk out out the auto tranny case. Oh well.

Auto vs Manual

Here you have to drill a new hole for the manual transmission motor mount. If you reuse the auto bolt location it will cause the axle to bind and will need to be replaced every couple of weeks. NO store carried a 12mm drill bit, this biggest was 11mm so I had to order one of of Amazon. Then as soon as I got one hole drilled out, the bit broke.

This was another headache. Routing the manual shifter cables and trying to get them connected to the bracket along with the C clips when you can even get your hands down there! The main issue is that the rear motor mount for an automatic is quite a bit bigger than the manual version. Because of this you really have to keep trying over and over to find the most efficient way to route the cables and gain any millimeters that you can.

Very little room for the cables

Finally attached and ready to go

Im missing a bunch of photos after this :(

·
Registered
226 Posts
nicely done! I definitely would have just used a slightly smaller drill bit and chewed out the hole that extra bit. I don't have the kind of restraint necessary to wait 3 days just for a drill bit.

And you even kept the clutch safety switch, I ditched it on my swap car, figured if I wasn't smart enough to make sure I was in neutral, or press the clutch in, I deserved whatever happened.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Well done man, looks like you did one hell of a job.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, forgot the parts list! Ill eventually get better pics, its just not too high on my to do list at the moment!

General Parts list:

5 Spd brake pedal
S spd clutch pedal assembly w/ both safety switches
clutch master + slave cylinder
clutch kit
5 spd shifter console and cables
Left halfshaft from same year Accord - manual version
5 spd transmission
ECU from same year/trim Accord but 5spd version
Manual transmission bracket and mount
Intermediate shaft
Lots of random bolts/nuts/other parts
5 spd starter
Honda MTF fluid
Custom stainless steel braided line

I still need to:
Add more oil to the transmission
Adjust the clutch pedal slightly
Figure out how to attach the shifter boot to the shifter assembly to hide the "guts"
Read the CEL code
Wire up the reverse lights

nicely done! I definitely would have just used a slightly smaller drill bit and chewed out the hole that extra bit. I don't have the kind of restraint necessary to wait 3 days just for a drill bit.

And you even kept the clutch safety switch, I ditched it on my swap car, figured if I wasn't smart enough to make sure I was in neutral, or press the clutch in, I deserved whatever happened.
I should have slowly worked my way up but I was in a rush and that just caused me to overheat the bit and it breaking. My fault in addition to it probably being a low quality bit.

Yes sir, I figured if I am already doing some wiring I may as well keep the clutch safety switch. Not to mention, since I am used to autos I figured this could be a good idea for me even though I probably wont start it while in gear.

I did however, not hook up the reverse lights. I have it wired up to some very long wires and ready to go, I just need to decide how I want to route it.

Well done man, looks like you did one hell of a job.
Thank You good sir! I wish I was more patient to really get good quality build and pictures. However, as it began to drag on I eventually just said, "Screw it, I need to get this thing done".

I am beyond happy and proud of it! I learned alot and that knowledge will help me in the future for sure! Someday forced induction and possibly a motor swap will be next for it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you don't have a scanner of your own, I'd recommend getting the Torque App and a bluetooth OBD adapter. Works awesome, and has a ton of functionality... and is $6 for the app, $20-$100 for the adapter, depending on which one you get.

I've been using it for about 3 years and it's been flawless on any vehicle I've hooked up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't have a scanner of your own, I'd recommend getting the Torque App and a bluetooth OBD adapter. Works awesome, and has a ton of functionality... and is $6 for the app, $20-$100 for the adapter, depending on which one you get.

I've been using it for about 3 years and it's been flawless on any vehicle I've hooked up.

A few local car guys have those and they like them. However, I can't really justify spending that money when I can just get it read for free at Autozone or Advance Auto. If I go forced induction, I will probably already have some stuff that can read codes.

But I am glad those are cheaper than standalone units.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

All of this. 12mm I would definitely drill a pilot not to mention use cutting oil.

Brings back memories of doing basically this same swap into my Honda back in the day. I had all the stuff sitting around for a couple of months and then a neighbour and I were drinking on a Friday night and were like F it lets do this and had it on the road for Sunday afternoon lol. Also, Sunday afternoon was probably the only sober window from that whole weekend :grin

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent,very detailed and informative How-To. I just hope you are also posting this at one of the Honda forums where it could be of more use.
Thanks!

I havent posted it on any Honda forums as I figure there is already enough coverage on the process. But, I may in the future. If I had taken better quality and more photos I would be more intrigued to do so!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts