Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. A Newbie here to Versa forums. A niece has a 2014 Versa Note. I have it at my shop to replace the cooling fan. I towed it to my place and let it off the dolly. That evening the horn started blowing incessantly. It did not alternate beeping with the lights flashing. I was able to stop it by using the key to lock and unlock the driver side door. That night it started again and ran the battery down. I put a battery charger on it but could not get the thing to stop blowing and had to remove the fuse.

I did a search but did not find anything like it in the forum anals. I am hoping that somebody has had a like experience and can tell me what they did to fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you were able to get the horn to stop by cycling the door lock, it doesn't sound like a short, but it hard to say. Any aftermarket electronics installed on this car, like remote start?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Either that or the horn switch itself, there is more than one contact point if like the earlier ones. My '11 had to come off working on bag system and I noticed the plastic melt tabs they use to mount it allowed for distortion popping them loose and the horn contacts themselves are not really prevented from accidentally touching to go off like that. A less than stellar design I noted at the time.

That maybe could be checked by seeing how easy the horn goes off with a light touch at the wheel instead of the normal deeper push one usually has to do. If it works too easy that points at the switch. I've seen high temps if you are getting them there make it happen on lots of other cars.

Like said above any recent messing with car electronics can make it happen too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, thanks for your tips. I don't know what the problem was, but it is gone. I had to replace the battery because it would not take a full charge and kept the charger putting out about 25 amps all the time. After replacing the cooling fan and installing a new battery everything started working. Color me confused but relieved.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Maybe a low power issue showing up in the electronics of the BCM, curious. May be a marker for future use there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
^ That's what I'm wondering too.

I've seen low system voltage cause all kinds of weird crap with BCMs, TIPMs, etc. Can't say I've heard of it causing the horn to go off, but you learn something every day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
PoMan
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing