Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2009 Versa. I had to unplug the battery yesterday to reset a Parrot bluetooth. The battery was unplugged for about an hour. After I reconnected it, the horn won’t work.
I checked the fuse and relay under the hood fuse looks good and I can hear the relay clickk when I press the center of the steering wheel. Also, the horn does not sound when locking with the fob.
Tomorrow I’ll remove the cowl to get to the horn. If I connect it directly to the battery, it should sound, right?
Any other thoughts? I find it strange that a horn failure coincided with a battery disconnect, but you never know.
All other electrical items work perfectly

·
Registered
241 Posts
The horn wire connectors do corrode and loose contact over time as well. I had to solder in new ones on my 09.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indeed it was a corroded wire. I looked at it through the cowl last night and could tell it was connected. I removed the cowl and as soon as I touched the green wire it separated.
I out in a new clip and reconnected. It works now.
Thanks everyone! Easy peasy.
next time I’m at a junk yard I may grab a more “manly” horn and wire it up. That should be pretty simple.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Make sure you get the right one and then you will have 2 like '60s cars all did. Those used both a low tone and high tone, if you get the wrong one then you have 2 of the same thing. Pretty sure Versa just uses the high tone one.

I've done that before and you then have a full throated blaster like you used to get all the time and real easy to wire it in too. Got the parts to do mine but just haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Versas do have a 2 tone option. Did see a few in a boneyard.
I put a 2 tone setup on the 09. mine came off a Honda. As long at it is a 2 wire horn, any of them would work.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yes, and the better way to do it that involves not having to find a new place for horn. Horns are so plentiful though I throw one on from different car, it's nothing to find a location and string the wire to suit. I run wire at the drop of a hat if I need to.

If you get OEM parts and put in OEM location you may even find the harness has the extra wire for the other one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The mounting point for the 2nd horn is already there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2009 Versa. I had to unplug the battery yesterday to reset a Parrot bluetooth. The battery was unplugged for about an hour. After I reconnected it, the horn won’t work.
I checked the fuse and relay under the hood fuse looks good and I can hear the relay clickk when I press the center of the steering wheel. Also, the horn does not sound when locking with the fob.
Tomorrow I’ll remove the cowl to get to the horn. If I connect it directly to the battery, it should sound, right?
Any other thoughts? I find it strange that a horn failure coincided with a battery disconnect, but you never know.
All other electrical items work perfectly
if car ever in accident check terminal or wire for continuity may have been chop[ped and poor splice by a body worker

1 - 11 of 11 Posts