Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do it myself possibly. but am wondering how much it would cost. is 3m the best? I wonder if itd be cheaper in the long run to get it professionally done?

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
3M is the best. And yes, in the long run it would probably be cheaper to get it done professionally. I paid $120 for mine but I've seen it for as low as $79(with warranty).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3M is the best. And yes, in the long run it would probably be cheaper to get it done professionally. I paid $120 for mine but I've seen it for as low as $79(with warranty).
Was it a company or auto garage?

What did you get done? Windshield included? :D I could pay for tinting before I repair the paint chips :eek:

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I had mine tinted by a tint shop, $200 for all windows (except front windshield), and it has a lifetime warranty on the film. I had the front windows film replaced already too (free of charge).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5% all around, windshield was just the visor though because I didnt want it that dark.
And that's why I want to move to Canada, here it is illeagel to go below 35% on the windshield and front windows....

Can you see out the back windshield when it is at 5%? Like is there a one way view or what?

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
And that's why I want to move to Canada, here it is illeagel to go below 35% on the windshield and front windows....

Can you see out the back windshield when it is at 5%? Like is there a one way view or what?
Its illegal here too but they're not too worried about it. And I can see just fine, at 1st I thought it was too dark but Im used to it now.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts

Lol in Ontario the limit is 35%
I went with 35% in the front doors/little triangle windows, and then 20% for all the rear windows. :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Lol in Ontario the limit is 35%
Incorrect.

There is NO legal % in Ontario. Anyone who tells you that has no idea what they are talking about. The HTA says something along the lines of "no film that may obscure vision into the front two windows of the car". It is VERY open ended. I know people that have received tickets for 35% and I know people who have 5% and have never had an issue. I have 20% all around (minus the windshield) and have only had it mentioned to me once, and tint wasn't the reason I was pulled over. Again, it is completely up to the discretion of the officer. My sister told me that a common test they do is hold your license about 2" from the glass and if they can read it standing on the outside they will let you go.

Some places in Canada (New Brunswick, for example) you aren't supposed to have any shade of tint on any windows of the car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Incorrect.

There is NO legal % in Ontario. Anyone who tells you that has no idea what they are talking about. The HTA says something along the lines of "no film that may obscure vision into the front two windows of the car". It is VERY open ended. I know people that have received tickets for 35% and I know people who have 5% and have never had an issue. I have 20% all around (minus the windshield) and have only had it mentioned to me once, and tint wasn't the reason I was pulled over. Again, it is completely up to the discretion of the officer. My sister told me that a common test they do is hold your license about 2" from the glass and if they can read it standing on the outside they will let you go.

Some places in Canada (New Brunswick, for example) you aren't supposed to have any shade of tint on any windows of the car.
So what your saying is there is no actual law but the con is cops can be opposed window tinting and still slam someone a ticket because they're having a bad day? Sh*t.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So what your saying is there is no actual law but the con is cops can be opposed window tinting and still slam someone a ticket because they're having a bad day? Sh*t.
Exactly. Well, almost. There is a law, but it doesn't specify an actual level of light that must be let through the tint. Whether they fine you or not is up to their discretion/mood. Although I can't think of anyone I know that has actually been pulled over strictly because of tint... more like they did something dumb and got pulled over or pissed off the cop somehow so they threw the tint charge on top.

EDIT: Just looked up the actual wording...

Section 73 (3): No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver's seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle.

It is an $85 fine, plus $20 victim fine surcharge (what is that?) and $5 court fee. So your looking at a $110 fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In my old hyundai I did the tint myself.

In my experience it was frustrating, but fun. Did it with a friend of mine.

However, not a single window went exactly right, and I had a could with bubbles and one that the cut did not go right and things like that.

The rear window is the worst. I had to heat shrink it to the outside then applied it to the inside. Got the idea online. We first just tried to cut and stick and it was impossible. Wasted quite a bit of tint.

In the end it was a fun experience and didnt care cuz my car was 1500 bucks. However, for Vera, I will be having it done right. It would have been cheaper.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope. Wasn't bubbling Andrew.
Film was not stuck on near the bottom of the window so every time I opened / closed the window it got stuck and was wrecking the film. They simply pulled the film off and put new one on.
Thanks! Now I'll know what to watch out for. I should make sure they give me a lifetime warranty :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts