Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am new to forum. I am considering buying either a new Versa 5 speed or a new Jetta 6 speed. I just want a commuter with the engagement of manual transmission. Anyone with a manual transmission with this generation Versa please give me your critique of your Versa. Likes/dislikes, quirks, grievances, etc as I plan to make purchase soon. Thanks for any and all input!

·
Registered
234 Posts
They are solid vehicles. I had a 2006 jetta that was nice but can't speak for the newer stuff. I'd drive them both and see which one you like more. You never know what could go wrong with any car and user experience is wildly all over the place with all vehicles.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
69 Posts
I have a 2016 Versa Sedan (manual). I'm getting 40mpg (city & highway) combined. I'm retired and purchased it as my "bucket list" car to travel and adventure with. It's a comfortable ride. My girlfriend often sleeps in the back on long trips. I don't have any complaints. I've been doing the scheduled maintenance and its been 100% reliable. No complaints.

What really attracted me to the Versa was the price. I got it during a local dealership sales promotion. It was just over half the price of a Honda Civic I was looking at. I could almost buy two Versa(s) for the price of one Civic. For me... that was a "no brainer" and I purchased the Versa.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2018 with a 5 speed. Bought new, now with 28,000 miles. Aside from the steering being tight when new there have been zero problems. Overall gas mileage is 41. The gearing is a bit low so 1st is for creeping along in traffic and 70 mph is about 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone I am new to forum. I am considering buying either a new Versa 5 speed or a new Jetta 6 speed. I just want a commuter with the engagement of manual transmission. Anyone with a manual transmission with this generation Versa please give me your critique of your Versa. Likes/dislikes, quirks, grievances, etc as I plan to make purchase soon. Thanks for any and all input!
How’s it going? I own a 2020 I love it. I definitely want to do some things to it. Plan on getting coils soon. If you like small compact cars then you will love it. It has a knock when you turn but it’s normal. The whine in the manual is normal as well I honestly like it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've got a '16 Versa with the CVT. I bought it in Feb. '19 with 10K miles and a rebuilt title. It currently has 27K and has been problem free. My biggest complaint with the Versa is the amount of road noise inside the car. Any speed above 50 MPH in my '16 makes it hard to have a conversation with anyone in the back seat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a ‘14 Versa Note with a tick over 70k miles on the clock. It has the 5 speed. I bought it used a year and a half ago at 50k miles. These cars are extremely frugal to own. Insurance is cheap, fuel cost is cheap, parts are cheap, etc. It has been a good car thus far. I have had minor issues with rattling heat shields for the exhaust (which I fixed myself for under $10). That is the only mechanical issue I have had in these 20k miles. I did replace the tires and front brakes, (which were both probably original) and was surprised at how cheap these parts were. (I did front brakes and rotors in 2 hours for $110 in parts). If you don’t mind having a very basic car (no cruise/power locks/power windows) that should be reliable to well over 100k miles, I would recommend the Versa ONLY with the manual transmission. My only gripe is the RPM level of the motor on the interstate due to the gearing of the 5 speed. I rarely take it much over 70 to avoid excessive wear on the motor. Someone else commented on the wind noise, but that is much better in the Versa Note than in that generation of the Versa. I would say that the Note is a better all-around car for the price due to practicality and size. Hope that was helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jetta might have more power and umph when you take off. But keep in mind German cars are expensive to maintain in the long run. Go for the versa.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's reliable for a Nissan. But don't think Nissan = discount Toyota or Honda....it's a far cry from those brands.

5 speed clutch has no feel or feedback - you're going to bounce the thing all over the place. Accessories ON dramatically changes clutch engagement.

Gear shift 'feels' awful. I learned manual on a 40 year old Ford tractor....that gear selector felt better and was more precise.

At 10K miles, I have to skip 2nd gear when she's cold or it'll grind.

It's underpowered. Literally the slowest car made.

It's loud.....ever heard a tornado? Ever heard a cayote howl? Now, make a tornado out of howling cayotes....it sounds like that.

A slight breeze blows it all over the road. You'll look like a drunk trying to keep it in a lane.

Poorly built by modern standards. I can wiggle my windows left and right with my hands.

It's upholstered, I believe, with cactus. Everything stains, everything sticks to the carpet, fingernail will go through the seats, itchy and scratchy.

An old lady bumped me in a parking lot - it looks like the bumper is slightly misaligned. Maybe a 1/2" difference from one side to the other. $3,500 repair.

MPG #'s are a lie over 50 mph.

But it's never not started. And never had a check engine light. It does 200 miles a day at 85 MPH, 4,000+ RPM, and I run it 20K miles between oil changes. I hate myself everyday for buying it. But, I guess if you're a masochist, you might like it! (Not that I'm endorsing VW. I wouldn't get that either. I'd go to CarMax and get a Civic or Corolla)

·
Registered
18 Posts
In January 2021 I bought a 2020 Versa, 5 speed.
I agree with above posts, although, the 2020 has more creature comforts.
Even though it is not a heavy car, it is underpowered. The 1.6 liter engine is either not enough, or it needs to be tuned differently.
I like the fact that it's a 5 speed, BUT, I've been driving manuals for over 40 years and this car has the shortest 1st and 2nd gears that I've driven. This makes for an interesting clutch experience.
BTW, 30 mpg. All are city miles, no freeways.
I hope this helps you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts