Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a question that might sound stupid.. i'm still new to cars world :)
how long should i wait after starting the engine for the oil temp. to be suitable for driving the car?
usually, i wait till the blue indicator is off; a friend of mine told me today that only 10 seconds are enough to get moving.
any feedback?

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is no need to wait. The oil and engine are designed to work at cold temperatures. It just wont be as efficient until it has warmed up.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
100F I wait less than 10 seconds and turn on the AC
90F I wait less than one minute and turn on the AC
80F I wait less than one minute and turn on the AC
70F I wait less than one minute and turn on the AC
60F I wait one minute
50F I wait two minutes or until I feel a little bit of heat from the ac vents
40F I wait two minutes or until I feel a little bit of heat from the ac vents
30F I wait until the windshield and rear window are clear
20F I wait until the windshield and rear window are clear
10F I wait until the windshield and rear window are clear
Zero F I would until the windshield and rear window are clear :spiral:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I always wait at least 2 minutes before touching the gas pedal. I can drive down my street in fast idle (which is about 1700 rpm when cold) with my 6 speed manual. I don't go over 2k rpm till the blue light goes off, and I NEVER go over 3k rpm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always wait at least 2 minutes before touching the gas pedal. I can drive down my street in fast idle (which is about 1700 rpm when cold) with my 6 speed manual. I don't go over 2k rpm till the blue light goes off, and I NEVER go over 3k rpm.
that's exactly how I drive these days.. i used to let it warm up till blue goes off (sometimes, it was taking over 5 minutes!!) but now i leave it just for 1~2 minutes and then start slowly
hope this would be fine for the engine.. i like to keep my stuff clean and neat :ihih:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Its frequently below 40 degrees when I start my car and I usually wait less than 30 seconds before I leave the driveway. My commute to work is so short that it would be stupid to let it idle for 5 minutes and get it warm when I only drive 10 minutes anyways. I do however take it easy until I get to the nearest coffee drive-through and then let it idle in liine there :)

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I start the car and then put on my seatbelt, look in my mirrors, plug my phone in and by then it's ready to drive. In the winter when it's below freezing I might actually warm the car up for 5-10 minutes. But that's just to melt all the ice off of it. No ice and I'll just wait the 10 seconds or so. I never really get on the car while the blue light is on. Actually I never get on my car but if I was going to I'd wait for the light to turn off :D.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't wait at all. I get set in the vehicle before I ever touch the key. When I am ready to go I will start the car and go. I don't drive high rpm, but I don't ever get over 2k until I am in 6th gear anyway. I don't believe in sitting and wasting fuel. I want to get a block heater. It helps in keeping the fluids to a decent temp in the cold weather. Improves start up gas mileage and keeps the rest of the fluids a decent temp as well.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
hot thread! [pun intended]
This morning it was -15C.
Started Versa, threw it in 1st gear, gingerly drove away. But there is no traffic on my country road that i slowed up, and i use synthetic oil changed every 10000km

·
Registered
24 Posts
for me I generally start my car from inside the house with the autostart then by the time i get to the car if its not warmed up I wait until it is then i drive off...I've been taught to ALWAYS warm the car up and never drive off cold...Im not sure how true that is today with cars but I was taught by old schoolers who feel that it helps prevent issues down the road...who knows, but im sure warming the car up wont hurt anything, im not sure if the opposite is true longterm

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm not a fan of letting the engine warming up with no load on it. Start it up and go, just don't act like Schumacher when the engine is cold
This.

There is no need to sit and let it wait. It warms up more quickly when you start driving it anyways. I just try and keep it below 2500rpm until the blue light goes off. Usually by the time I get to the highway from my house its off. But unless you rev the crap out of it your not going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
from all the opinions, i think the secret is in low RPM at start.. not how long to wait.
i started the new year with this new approach and i'll keep you updated how my engine condition would be at the end of it. ;) :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.