Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took mine out as soon as i got it. Just toss some plugs and plugging tools, and a bicycle pump in there and you're good. 24 lbs gone... Plus i put my battery back there, nice and stealthy. Cut the foam insert to fit around the battery and bam, done. Matter of fact there's already a nice grommet in the spare tire well to run your cables through and under the car (ran my cables under the car as opposed to through the interior, for better serviceability, ease of maintenance/modification).

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I always thought about removing it but fear get's the best of me.

You have any pics of your setup? Sounds interesting and I don't know what the foam piece is you talk of. I don't have any foam that I know of.

Is there any issue running that live wire under the car exposed to the elements?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I wouldnt ever remove mine. The fuel savings would be minimal.

Are you running a sealed battery in your trunk? If not you need a sealed battery box with a vent tube. The fumes from non-sealed batteries is not a good thing to have in the cabin.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hydrogen produced during light charging cycles is negligible. Not to mention the spare tire well is probably naturally under slightly negative pressure. Rob the foam piece supports the top cover that goes over it, should be there.

I've had this setup for over 6 months and not a problem. No reason for there to be any problems with cables underneath if you get good stuff. I ran the cables from front to back and cut them with slack to spare just in case i screwed up the soldering and needed to trim back or something. Did the soldering myself in my appartment. Then you support it with a few rubber insulated clamps (Adel clamps), and self tappers. Remembering to lube the screws, and get only ones deep enough to secure the clamps and anchor into the sheet metal, you don't want them to be excessively long obviously.

There is a nice convenient "frame rail" or body line that is like a "straight edge" or guide for running them into the engine bay, following this body line routes them perfectly up through the firewall and over the steering linkage to the top area. Route these cables over the heatshield that goes across the torsion bar/beam.

Believe it or not, i got the idea to route them externally from my own Porsche 928 project car. The way i described is the exact same way Porsche did it (battery is in rear as in many German cars).

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Sounds pretty sweet. I like the idea of lightening up the car and balancing out the weight a little more by moving the battery to the back. Other than just mpgs your car will be quicker, stop quicker, and handle better. Sure it is a very very small difference which might not even be felt but some people go by the theory that every little bit helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.