Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be 7 years on my '07 Versa battery come Sept. I don't want to press my luck so I'm going to replace it with a Costco Signature battery before the cold weather.
Has anyone gotten 8 years out of one?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The OEM battery on my '08 (purchased at the beginning of the model year) croaked after about 5 years. It wasn't completely dead when I replaced it, but it barely had enough umph to roll up the power window with the heater running in the winter.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Since we have harsh winters here in Michigan, I usually replace my batteries before its 6th winter. Don't want to take the risk of being stranded. This schedule seem to have worked well for me.

You may be able to stretch that a bit in milder ambient locales but very hot weather (e.g. Phoenix/Las Vegas) is just as hard to the batteries as the cold.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep... 7 years will be my limit.

I put a NORWAY maple tree in my yard a few years back thinking Norway should be plenty cold in the winter. It gets so cold here in winter the bark blistered off in one spot because the sapwood froze under it.
I took a walk around the hood and noticed all the maple trees had the same problem.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yep... 7 years will be my limit.
OEM battery in Sentra finally checked out at about seven years, 290000km. Good call Bill
very hot weather (e.g. Phoenix/Las Vegas) is just as hard to the batteries as the cold.
I know someone who worked in automotive battery factory in SC, saying the most warranty claims came from Florida. Cold weather is hard on engines and everything really, but hot weather is definitely nasty to batteries.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Seems like an overkill to me, but like 3,000 mile oil changes (on normal use vehicle), it won't hurt anything other than your pocketbook.
I guess that came out of the way car batteries are warranted most basic plans being like 3 years/36000 miles. Depending on manufacture you can get a free replacement within the warranty time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll be 7 years on my '07 Versa battery come Sept. I don't want to press my luck so I'm going to replace it with a Costco Signature battery before the cold weather.
Has anyone gotten 8 years out of one?
I can't speak for Versa (yet, picking up my note sl next week) but my 2003 Acura 1.7 EL (jazzed up civic) battery was perfectly fine until I left the map lights on one night in March 2014.

My car was booked for an annual the next day, that's when I discovered dead battery. Probably could have had it recharged while at mechanics but I went ahead and replaced the battery for $160 and lots of peace of mind.

Never had a problem with the OEM battery.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Who offers the largest CCA battery can you get for these models?
Highest I found was a Duralast Super Start Extreme:
600CCA
745CA
90min reserve.

Fits fine, a little long, but slides in the space no problem.

My old OEM battery lasted 6 years and was slowly dying when this past winter finally put it out of its misery.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Once you discharge conventional lead acid battery's completely, the plates become "sulfated" meaning a thick layer of sulfation forms on them, causing resistance and generally reducing the current capacity. You can sometimes rescue them on trickle charge (think 2-5 days on low current trickle charge) but they're never quite the same after that. I've seen it happen on alot of Nissan's where the alternator goes, and the distance they drive during that time takes out the battery too, can happen on anything though. Voltage sensing/smart charge cars make conventional batteries last longer because of the intelligent charging. A module senses voltage, battery temp, and current draw (load) and charges it up fast, or slower.

It depends on driving style and storage too. Constant heat is going to reduce the lifespan as will constant cold, an alternator that is putting out only just enough amps to supply the electrical system and not enough to charge the battery as well is also going to reduce lifespan. There are lots of times a marginal alternator causes decreased lifespan of the battery, and the driver doesn't notice anything. More of a concern for hot engine bays, in particular many German cars run very hot and have a scorching engine bay. The Versa doesn't have a heat problem. In fact it almost runs too cool.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Last time I took my '08 in for an oil change the dealer said the battery may need replacing soon. They told me the long hot summers and cold winters here in Boise reduce their lifespan by quite a bit.

I had to replace my Costco battery today after 44 months because the cranking time was longer than usual. The engine would go "uh-uh-uh" before ignition. Knew it wasn't the fuel pressure regulator because it would happen randomly whether the engine was warm or cold. It was a prorated and I ended up paying around $25, but at least I didn't have to shell out the whole cost of a new battery.

After the swap I noticed the dash lights were much brighter and the RPMs stopped randomly dropping when the car was sitting still while in drive. Guess the battery had something to do with that too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.