Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Versa (Hatchback Special Edition)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Below is my car at the moment on the trunk side. It's about 3 inches long and i expect the rust to be sizable since it's about a year old.

My car color is Magnetic Gray Metallic i believe. How much does it usually cost for repaint? Can they just do the spot or does the whole trunk need to be repainted?

P.S. Also, in the trunk by the window, does anyone know where i can buy this panel? On the other side, Red circled part broke so i am trying to replace it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
For the paint, depends on the shop you take it to.
For the hatch, a junkyard is your best option. Just be careful, the black plastic panel on the lower hatch can be very fragile.

Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
29 Posts
Paintwork also varies geographically, so the cost will depend on where you live. The problem with your trunk is the damage below the exposed area needs to be repaired first. Then, a larger area around the taillight will need to be completely stripped of rust, undercoating and paint before it can be refinished. In the Denver, CO area where I live, I'd guess the cost at a reputable body shop would be $800-900 for labor and materials.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Versa (Hatchback Special Edition)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paintwork also varies geographically, so the cost will depend on where you live. The problem with your trunk is the damage below the exposed area needs to be repaired first. Then, a larger area around the taillight will need to be completely stripped of rust, undercoating and paint before it can be refinished. In the Denver, CO area where I live, I'd guess the cost at a reputable body shop would be $800-900 for labor and materials.
Thanks for sharing. After stripping off the rust, does it have to be undercoated and repainted to prevent re-rusting?

Since paint jobs are expensive, i was thinking just waiting that one out and just take care of removing rusts for now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i was thinking just waiting that one out and just take care of removing rusts for now.
I have successfully used a rust remover for that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for sharing. After stripping off the rust, does it have to be undercoated and repainted to prevent re-rusting?

Since paint jobs are expensive, i was thinking just waiting that one out and just take care of removing rusts for now.
The problem is the body damage has exposed bare steel that had been coated by zinc at the factory. You could try using a rust remover and then putting a rust resistant primer, paint and clear coat over the damaged area, but it may or may not stop the underlying rust. If you like your car, maintain it well and want to keep it, I suggest you repair it properly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hello, Below is my car at the moment on the trunk side. It's about 3 inches long and i expect the rust to be sizable since it's about a year old.

My car color is Magnetic Gray Metallic i believe. How much does it usually cost for repaint? Can they just do the spot or does the whole trunk need to be repainted?

View attachment 17849

P.S. Also, in the trunk by the window, does anyone know where i can buy this panel? On the other side, Red circled part broke so i am trying to replace it.

View attachment 17851
I'm no body man but, I don't see that it should cost more than a few hundred dollars to do it and do it right. If the paint isn't too faded or too far gone a good body man can usually blend the paint to match without repainting the whole panel. If it were me I'd just take it to a few body shops and get estimates. Don't stop at one or two estimates. In the past I've had estimates on minor damage vary by up to $500. from one shop to the other.

·
Registered
41 Posts

View attachment 17849
There is a dent below it so there is bodywork involved too. Not really worth it on a lower priced 8 year old car. At least $400 or $500 job. Get a $12 tube of touch-up paint from the dealer. There should be a wire brush type attachment on the tip. Use that to scrape off as much rust as you can and to chip off any peeling paint. Clean area with rubbing alcohol. Carefully dab some paint on to cover. 2 or 3 coats are fine. Should be good for years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts