My girlfriend's Versa needed a valve clearance adjustment so I used this guide as a reference point. Hopefully this walk-through will help someone out here as well :grouphug:
1) Measure the valve clearance with the following procedure:
2) Set No. 1 cylinder at TDC of its compression stroke by rotating the crankshaft pulley (1) clockwise and align TDC mark (no paint) (B) to timing indicator (A) on front cover. At the same time, make sure that both intake and exhaust cam noses of No. 1 cylinder face inside. If they do not, rotate crankshaft pulley once more (360 degrees) and align.
**Shown here: Set No. 1 cylinder at TDC of its compression stroke**
**Shown here: Camshaft alignment, TDC**
3) Use a feeler gauge, measure the clearance between valve lifter and camshaft.
**Shown here: Inspect valve clearances, position 1**
4) Intake valve clearance:
- Cold: 0.010–0.013 inches (0.26–0.34 mm)
- Hot: 0.012–0.016 inches (0.304–0.416 mm)
5) Exhaust valve clearance:
- Cold: 0.011–0.015 inches (0.29–0.37 mm)
- Hot: 0.012–0.017 inches (0.308–0.432 mm)
6) Set No. 4 cylinder at TDC of its compression stroke by rotating crankshaft pulley one revolution (360 degrees) and align TDC mark (no paint) to timing indicator on front cover.
**Shown here: Set No. 4 cylinder at TDC of its compression stroke**
7) Use a feeler gauge, measure the clearance between valve lifter and camshaft.
**Shown here: Inspect valve clearances, position 2**
8) If out of standard, perform adjustment. Perform adjustment depending on selected head thickness of valve lifter.
9) Remove camshaft.
10) Remove valve lifters at the locations that are out of the standard.
11) Measure the center thickness of the removed valve lifters with a micrometer.
12) Use the equation below to calculate valve lifter thickness for replacement:
- Valve lifter thickness calculation: t=t1 + (C1 – C2 )
- t=Valve lifter thickness to be replaced
- t1=Removed valve lifter thickness
- C1=Measured valve clearance
- C2=Standard valve clearance: Intake: 0.30 mm (0.012 inch), Exhaust: 0.33 mm (0.013 inch).
- Available thickness of valve lifter: 26 sizes range 3.00–3.50 mm (0.1181–0.1378 inch) in steps of 0.02 mm (0.0008 inch) (when manufactured at factory)
13) Install the selected valve lifter.
14) Install camshaft.
15) Install timing chain and related parts.
16) Manually rotate crankshaft pulley a few rotations.
17) Make sure that the valve clearances is within the standard.
*diagram courtesy of nissanpartszone.com
; all rights reserved