Needed supplies:

Garden hose
Plenty of water
Scrub brush
Spray Nozzle
1 gal Ziploc bag
Simple Green (32 oz)
Microfiber cloths or terry towels

This is a simple solution of cleaning the engine bay without using industrial degreasers or harsh cleaning agents.

First off, let the engine cool for 15 minutes or greater before spraying anything on the engine. After it’s cooled down, cover any exposed parts of the engine with a 1 gallon Ziploc bag or anything that’s made of plastic since plastic repels water easily. Plastic protects the engine since it’s water repellent.

Once that’s completed, spray the engine with Simple Green, other parts of the engine may need attention if it’s highly saturated. Let it dwell for 15-20 minutes; give it plenty of time to work itself to break down dirt, dust and outside elements. If the engine is extremely saturated with dirt and mud, an optional way is to use a scrub brush. Scrub any hard to reach areas that normally can’t be reached or seen standing in front of the engine.

With the garden hose and plenty of water, spray the engine with medium to high pressure from the nozzle. This will blast away the loose dirt easily. Once clean, wipe away any excess water with microfiber cloths or terry towels. If short on time and one is near by, use a leaf blower. It will dry quickly and cut the time in half.

If the following procedures are done correctly, you have successfully cleaned the engine bay of your Versa without hassle. :smile5:

Note: Simple Green is aluminum corrosive, so avoid spraying it on anything that’s aluminum or metal.

·
Registered
224 Posts
not exactly the way o clean my engine when it needs it but i also know what not to spray down to keep the engine running. Use a pressure washer and simple green for the really tough stuff brake cleaner.

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
This kinda thing FREAKS ME THE EFF OUT.

On the one hand, every service guy I've ever spoken to says the car won't be 100% after that.

On the other hand, I've seen a guy in a Volkswagen Phaeton roll up into one of those Do It Yourself bays, pop his hood, and then proceed to spray the shit out of it - with the engine running! Then he just drives off like it's no thang...

:multi:

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I don't recommend spraying the engine while it's running. I need to get some video tutorials up soon for you guys.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Spray comet (bathroom cleaner) works well as a degreaser and is cheaper than most degreasers the powder comet works also but it leave a powder mess if not rinsed off well.. try avoidin water around your oil cap and your intake and like was said before make sure u let engine cool no obe wants a cracked anythun :)

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I thoroughly washed my engine bay before I installed the CAI. We covered up a few things with plastic but everything else was washed and hosed down. Car is still the same as it was; it's just cleaner :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
An easier way to cover any sensors is using aluminum foil. it easily molds around any electrical sensor, and its easy to spot to take off when you're done. I always take the ground cable off the battery and make sure to cover the positive terminal too. Also if you have a short intake just take the filter off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use P21S Total Auto Wash.

Lightly spray the engine with water (cover intake etc with a bag), spray the P21S TAW, then let it sit.

Wash off while using a brush (from the autogeek website) to access hard to reach areas.

And that's it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As a mechanic i will let you all know that water and/or automotive engine degreaser will not harm an engine. Just avoid filter housing, filling that with water = bad. But vehicles now use "weatherpac" sensor and electrical connections meant to keep water out. I wouldn't recommend spraying directly at any of them... But if engines weren't built to get wet, there would be a lot of dead cars on the road any time it rains :p Most shops wash an engine any time they do work on it, at least we do!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you have a little bit of time you can also remove most of the visible plastic in the engine bay and just wash it seperatly. I did this when I changed the spark plugs since you have to remove most of the top visible layer of the engine anyways. Just used a bathtub, dish soap (to cut grease) and an old toothbrush (keep your old toothbrushes for stuff like this, make great cleaning tools).

Here is the engine bay. 80K miles, 3 years old, don't really spend any time in here.

Even washed the intake manifold since I had to take it off as well.

So you can certainly clean it up pretty safely and thoroughly without resorting to pressure washing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you have a little bit of time you can also remove most of the visible plastic in the engine bay and just wash it seperatly. I did this when I changed the spark plugs since you have to remove most of the top visible layer of the engine anyways. Just used a bathtub, dish soap (to cut grease) and an old toothbrush (keep your old toothbrushes for stuff like this, make great cleaning tools).

Here is the engine bay. 80K miles, 3 years old, don't really spend any time in here.

Even washed the intake manifold since I had to take it off as well.

So you can certainly clean it up pretty safely and thoroughly without resorting to pressure washing.

Off topic but I was wondering do we even need the plastic engine cover or does it make the engine noise more noticeable while driving?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts