Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to share my first mod on my 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6L HR16DE. We all want to take care of our rides the best that we can and a lot of that care will go into your engine. The first modification anyone should for their cars is to install a oil catch can. You can even install this in your dealership's lot, its that easy!

Before I give you the details, I am in no way responsible for your car/engine! Even though this can be simpler then changing your oil, you must be confident in your work and knowledgeable about cars. Remember the old saying: Always measure twice and cut once! Do all of your work with the engine off! You can even take it as far to disconnect your battery at the negative terminal, but that is to your own discretion.

If you would like to learn more about the reason why this mod is so important, there are plenty and plenty of info the web. Just use google :) My favorite website for the info and fact is: Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more!. This mod will not increase your performance but will increase your engine's life span and will keep things clean! Even though I am doing this specifically for the 1.6L HR16DE, this is considered a universal mod and these steps can be used for almost all engines.

Tools you will need for this mod:
- Phillips & Flathead screwdriver
- monkey wrench
- your favorite pliers
- something to cut fuel line hose

First, go to your local hardware store... I chose home depot. Go straight to the air compressor section and look for a air compressor mini air filter. Could also be known as a general purpose mini filter. Then go to the plumbing aisle and pick up 2 brass 1/4" nipples or "leads", 2 brass 1/2" x 1/4" bushings, 2 brass 1/2" x 1/2" hose barbs, Teflon tape, and steel wool. Only about $35 so far! Second, go to a auto part store and get 2' of heater hose. In this case, you will need a 1/2" size. Then also pick up 2 5/16" - 7/8" Hose clamps. So total, this mod should only cost you about $40!

Here is a picture of the parts and their numbers in-case you like to follow this exactly.

Now time to go home and put it all together!

First, take out the hard filter inside of the filter housing by twisting off the plastic "tank", don't loose the o-ring, and taking your Phillips screwdriver unscrewing it from the housing. Put the steel wool into the plastic "tank" and twist in back on to the housing with the o-ring! Then assemble the brass fittings onto the housing while using the Teflon tape for a tight seal. After that, attach the 2' of hose on the "out" side of the filter (should be labeled on top of the filter housing) with one of the hose clamps on. Tighten the hose clamp. Don't cut the hose yet unless you have already measured twice or more! Here is a picture of how it should look like all assembled, the hard filter is shown still installed in this picture without the steel wool. Make sure the filter is out and the steel wool is in!

Now go out to you car, open the hood, and look for a rubber hose going from the top of your valve cover to a baffle box thingy on top of your intake tube that attaches to the throttle body.

Remove this hose from the baffle box thingy, keeping the valve cover side attached.

Attach the diy oil catch can assembly to the factory hose and put the factory clamp back in place. (Make sure the arrow on top of the housing is pointing away from the factory hose. This is your inlet) Place the assembly where you feel comfortable or attach somewhere with zip ties or drilling holes. Route the 2' of heater hose to the intake baffle box thingy. Cut hose to desired length. Put the last hose clamp on the heater hose and tighten onto the nipple of the intake baffle box thingy. And tada! You did it! This is how my set up looks like:

Again please ignore the hard filter in there and a lack of steel wool. That was added after the pics were taken. I will post a follow up picture of how much oil has been cached when I do my first oil change. Please remember, everyone's engine and driving is different, your catch can may fill up faster then others. This can be based upon a lot of factors. It is a good idea to check it with every gas fill up, since you should technically be checking your oil every time you get gas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.