Nissan Versa Forums banner

How to get access to rear license plate?

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  potato730414 
#1 ·
Help!! 2009 Nissan versa hatchback SL

The plastic 'anchor nuts for my rear license plate are broken so they are free spinning. I can't get the bolts out to take rear plate off. I can't seem to get anything small enough behind the bolts to grasp. Aside from taking whole bumper off any suggestions what else I can do to get access??

I did open trunk, remove the rear panel, but there is metal behind there with no access to back of plate. :-/

#5 ·
There's no nut on the back, you can't install what you can't hold. Read post #3 again. The inserts that hold the screws have no nuts on the back, they are one piece pop-in-hole inserts. Or, no insert at all and screwed straight into base plastic or metal. The screw gets overtightened to strip because nobody is smart enough to recognize a most likely plastic interface and how they get stripped. Among 500 other bolted points on the cars.

#7 · (Edited)
Those get used in a hundred other places on cars but in 40 years I have never seen then used on license brackets. For one thing, they don't strip out and an indicator it's not them.

Wrong, digging back in my hard drive I think I've seen them used on an all steel flip-down license bracket that had to fold forward to fill up gas nozzle hidden behind it on one model of car. That would've been in 1968.

#8 ·
More like this................

What every car I have uses. They strip out easy as spit then you have to figure out how to get the screw out like here. They require a far smaller hole than the part shown above does and it's important on exterior parts, not to mention they save a million bucks in the difference in price between this part and that other.

#9 ·
hi first time to do this my husband use to do these things now he is in a wheelchair up to me now..advice ..so far I did get the screw to loosen just need help from this point the screw was very rusty plate has never been replaced since I bought it ..it is a 2007 SL nissan versa hatchback