Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That occurs in the steering wheel...

I know i saw this thread, however i can't remember how to get rid of it.

If some one could tell me or show me the link to the original thread that has answered this question it would be gladly appreciated. :thumb2:
:jumping: i want to get rid of the clunking so i can drive at ease lol :sing:

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
The clunk seems to be related to the intermediate shaft. It's clearly visible if you duck your head under your steering wheel.

Here is a thread on it http://www.nissanversaforums.com/showthread.php?t=392&highlight=intermediate+shaft.

The part is like $152.67 if purchased at a local dealer. But can be had for about $30 cheaper on-line. If you do a howto on it please take pics and do a writeup. I'm sure thousands of other people would want that info.

Number 5 is the intermediate shaft and number 1 is the steering column. Just to give you an idea where this is located.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!! i appreciate it!!!

Yeah most likely i am going to do this on my own. So how to do list when i do it, will be posted. Now that i know it will cost me, i am now just going to wait on the money lol.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Here is an actual pic of the shaft I snapped this morning. Seems very easy to replace.

Now I'm personally am not saying this is 100% what is causing the clunk but it is one of the things nissan changes with a revised part if you bring your car in for the "clunk" issue.

I have grown to love my clunk. I call her clunky :).

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Apparently it's a faulty designed part. The new part has been revised part number. Some people get the clunk and others don't. Then there are some people who have it and probably don't even realize.

My clunk is very faint, only turning right, and only happens the first time I turn right out of my driveway each morning. Honestly I bet almost everyone would not even notice it. Because I am a car nut and know about the clunk, I know it's there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Apparently it's a faulty designed part. The new part has been revised part number. Some people get the clunk and others don't. Then there are some people who have it and probably don't even realize.

My clunk is very faint, only turning right, and only happens the first time I turn right out of my driveway each morning. Honestly I bet almost everyone would not even notice it. Because I am a car nut and know about the clunk, I know it's there.
mine is the same exact thing. It annoys me to death. I will go back into the dealer and demand for them to fix it or I will go to another dealer. It's under warranty so it their job to do it. Not "I'm not sure what part it is, So I'm not going to replace it because your wheel wont fall off" deal.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Mine is at the dealer right now. Apparently theyre replacing the engine mounts. Warranty FTW.
they are replacing mounts because of the clunk? Or the mounts are really bad?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I dunno, they didnt tell me anything. I don't believe theyre bad, only 13000kms on it. As long as im not paying for anything, its arite.
Well let me know what the work order says if you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
So they didnt change the engine mounts afterall, it was the strut mounts, dumb service guy cant read. But theres still a clunk, even after i said they should check the steering column. So im going back tomorrow again.
Get some info before you go. Find the TSB that refers to the clunk.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
ugh they get paid by nissan to fix it. Just do the damn job.
I think nissan make them change things in a certain order when diagnosing issues. So maybe they have to do the first thing then give back to owner to see if it fixed it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wonder if this could be the cause of the clunk that I get whenever I make a hard right turn? I have a 2008 Versa hatchback with 45K miles. My intermediate shaft looks like the one in the photo, except it has two pink dots rather than a single pink line. Is this a manufacturer defect? Is it dangerous or indicate something getting worn out? It does seem to be coming from underneath the steering column. should I contact a dealer (warranty is no longer in effect)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also got this problem on my car. Replace the shaft then the sound gone. According to my study the head of the old shaft is not strong enough cause it to slightly open up. Actually you can fix it temp by take out the shaft and compress the head joint. Then the sound gone for 1 month and will come back due to the material and design problem in the shaft itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your work on this issue. I have, I think, the same problem and need some help sourcing the part.

The part number for the Intermediate Steering is: (I think)
48080-EM02D

Searching on that gets you nowhere. But 48080 does get these links:
2010 Nissan Versa Steering Column - 488235
for $167.67.
This should work in a 2008 model (mine) as well and has listed the full part number.

Alternate:
Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

$161.29

Not 100% sure this is the updated part though. The older part is the one with the problems.

My question is where to get this part for ~$30 as listed in this thread?

The dealer told me the part was ~$208 from them +$65 to install. I've seen the steering area (in person and in the picture in this thread) and am mechanically inclined, so I think I can do this myself. I just want to know if there's a less expensive source for this part as I've been unable to find it.

Let me know. Thanks.

Peter

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.