Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Introduction]
I followed the tutorial on how to remove 1st gen Versa Steering Wheel (Thanks so much) as a start and service manual as a guide. I think my post will also be helpful to many.

[How I knew it was the Clock Spring]
Horn stopped working when pressing steering but works if alarm or lock pressed on remote. Also, if you turn the steering wheel to the right more than 90 degrees and press the horn, it would work. Dealer said clock spring issue.

[Why Do it Yourself?]
Dealer Replacement Cost: ~$350.00 (~$180 part only)
Napa Auto Parts part cost: ~$175.00
Amazon part Price: ~$28.00
Amazon description: "NEW 25567-ET025 NISSAN VERSA 350Z MURANO SPIRAL CABLE CLOCK SPRING AIRBAG"

[Before you begin]
Make sure steering wheel is straight (neutral position) and tires are straight too. This will help in aligning the clock spring later with steering wheel.

[Step One]
Remove both battery terminal connections. My red contact had little wiggle room so I covered terminal with plastic top and wrapped the contact with a rubber glove for safety. Black was looser but did the same for safety. Used standard socket wrench with 10mm socket to remove battery bolts holding contacts.

[Step Two]
Wait 10 minutes or more before removing SRS AirBag in steering. I waited 30 minutes just to be sure. It was my first time doing this kind of work.

[Step Three]
Remove steering wheel tabs on left and right sides.

[Step Four]
Insert a blunt tool or socket screwdriver into steering tab holes; you will feel a spongy spring type movement which releases each side of the SRS Airbag. I started on the left first, then did the right and pulled from top, then pulled from bottom to release airbag.

Note: It took me a while to notice the spring-spongy movement was further in than I thought, once you do, just push and you'll see the airbag move forward.

Note2: I used a plastic short blunt tool at first, wasn't long enough and didn't work. I then used a socket screwdriver with head small enough to fit in tab hole, this worked quite well (recommended).

[Step Five]
Remove the green ground (horn) wire on left-side of airbag.

Note: It's a bit small and mine was hard to pull-off. Be careful not to pull too hard and break off the ground conductor. It is just a quick-disconnect crimped wire, but mine was snug. I had to use a pair of pliers to hold the ground conductor and another to pull the ground wire off, somewhat tricky while holding the SRS airbag upright still plugged in.

[Step Six]
Remove the yellow and orange connector wires on back of airbag. Use pliers and squeeze near black piece and just pull gently. Should come of fairly easily.

[Step Seven]
Remove the connector with the ground-wire. There is a small locking tab on the left side of this connector which releases it, press and pull up, should be fairly easy to remove.

[Step Eight]
Remove the steering bolt in the center. I believe its a 19mm socket. Once removed, wiggle steering wheel until it comes off.

Note1: Since this was my first time, mine was a little hard at first. I used my knees to hold steering in neutral position while unscrewing the bolt. After I removed, I wiggled from top and that seemed to pry it loose.

Note2: there is a slot on the column lines up with a line above it. When re-installing steering, ensure they line up.

[Step Nine]
Remove top and bottom steering column covers by removing three screws on bottom cover. Then, remove the ignition cover surrounding it; just pulls off. These covers just snap apart, no trick to them, just pry them apart slowly from whatever area is easiest. I found that putting the steering column positioner at highest position (up) will help to pull-out bottom cover.

Note: This is where the other tutorial ends, doesn't go as far as removing the clock spring. I will detail that below.

[Step Ten]
Disconnect the wiper and washer switch connector on back of wiper switch. Now press top and bottom tabs and pull wiper switch to the right to remove (see SRS-37 of service manual for details).

[Step Eleven]
Disconnect the lighting and turn signal switch connector (TSW). While pressing top and bottom tabs pull TSW toward left to remove.

[Step Twelve]
Disconnect spiral cable connectors. Two in back right side.

Note: You'll need to push the tabs that lock these in place with pliers or something and pull on connectors to remove. Requires some force.

[Step Thirteen]
Remove two screws holding Clock Spring in place.

[Step Fourteen]
Install/Replace with new clock spring. Service manual states the following: "Align spiral cable correctly when installing steering wheel. Make sure spiral cable alignment and centering marks are matched (I made sure white clock-spring stub was positioned at top) and in the neutral position. Place steering wheel in straight ahead position, then install it with the locating pin hole directly over spiral cable locating pin" (SRS-38).

[Conclusion]
Replace everything else in reverse order and test all functions: signal light, wiper, etc.
Results: My horn works again!! Click to hear it! I replaced mine on November 1, 2015.

[Issues, FAQs]
Question: Does your airbag light come on after all work is done?
Answer: Yes, mine came on some hours after driving the car. Going to do a code reset and hopefully it will disappear. No other issues.
Total replacement time: ~3-4 hours for a novice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just finished changing the "Clockspring" or "Spiral Cable" in our 2008 Versa Hatchback. It took me about an hour and I had to remove and install the airbag a second time due to getting the ground wire misrouted.

Regarding the green "ground wire": I got too aggressive when I finally got the airbag to release, and pulled it out away from the steering wheel and bent and distorted the flat, brass, stamped connector that is very delicately attached to the back of the airbag. Only pull the airbag far enough away to gain access to the green wire and then remove it - carefully. Then you can rotate the airbag and gain access to the orange and yellow connectors. I didn't realize how tightly that ground lays to the back of the airbag. Since I had pulled mine out and distorted the metal strip, when I reinstalled the airbag, the horn wouldn't actuate properly and would even stick in the "ON" position. I was able to remove it and carefully place the metal strip back in position and then connect the green wire, so that it all laid underneath the orange/yellow airbag wiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pictures from my Clockspring replacement

These pictures only cover the airbag removal portion of the job. The first picture shows the interior of the steering column after the airbag is removed. Note that there are 3 spring hairpin clips that retain the airbag assembly. You only get access to the top two, the bottom one is the last to pull free and the first to be latched back in place.

The next picture shows a closeup of the retaining clip. This is what you have to push against to release the airbag.

Next shows the shank of the nutdriver I used to shove up the "track" and push against the retaining clip. This nutdriver was just barely long enough to fully depress the clip. I think a 1/4" wooden dowel might work better. You really need better than 4" to reach inside.

Here you can see the nutdriver being inserted along the channel that is cast into the metal. You want to keep the tool against the back of the channel to properly "hit" the wire clip.

Now you can see how the nutdriver pushes back the clip and releases the airbag attachment bracket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
By the way, I ordered my clockspring from Amazon under this description:
MNJWS New Spiral Cable Clock Spring for Nissan Versa 350Z Murano 25567-ET025 and it only cost me $17.81 delivered. It fit and worked perfectly. I had to do the "Airbag Warning Light" reset (where you rotate the ignition switch back and forth several times) to extinguish the flashing airbag light. All is now well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Replace of 2009 HB Clock Spring for $17.00 Amazon part

I had to replace my Clock Spring again recently after less than 2 years. I originally posted the How to above. The airbag light was on and only right-side horn was working. I purchase the 2 cable Clock Spring Airbag Spiral Cable Sub-Assy Nissan 350Z 370Z Versa Murano 25567-ET025 25567-EB60A 25567ET025 25567EB60A 25567 ET025 25567 EB60A for $17.00 based the post by Ferrofab and at first it didn't work. The bottom connector on the clock spring has a small piece of plastic which doesn't allow the connector to go all the way in and "snap". I had to file down this plastic piece and then was able to push the connector all the way. Did not have to reset the Airbag Warning Light. Horn on both sides is now working! Note: the computer code was "airbag circuit is shorted or grounded". NIssan Dealer wanted $530.00 ($220.00 for part) to fix. Ridiculous!

·
Registered
5 Posts
2009 versa clockspring

Hi Maestro, I am about to change the clockspring on my 2008 Versa and I am a novice on this too. I assume the procedure involved in changing the clockspring in a 2008 versa is pretty much the same as in a 2009 versa. My question is: When you are done and ready to put back the airbag unit, does it click back automatically or do you have to push back the retainer clips in order for the airbag unit to fall in place. Thanks in advance for you help.
JasonS17

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Ferrofab
Can you answer the same question that I sent to Maestro. That is: When you are done and ready to put back the airbag unit, does it click back in when pressed down or do you have to push back on the retainer clips in order for the airbag to sit properly. Thanks
JasonS17

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
JasonS17
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing