1) Make sure wheels are straight. Unplug the battery, and wait about 10mins.
2) On the back of the steering wheel are these caps. Take them off with your fingers or flat head.
3) Take the flat head and put it into the holes and push hard straight. It will feel like a type of spring. Take your other hand and feel for the airbag to move forward while pulling up slightly. Do this for both sides. Once released, take your hand and gently pull up on the airbag, It may feel still stuck, just pull a little harder.
4) Once removed, a yellow, orange, and green wire will be connected to it. Try to keep the airbag away from your body and face as much as you can while working on it. The green is for the horn, and the orange and yellow are airbag. Disconnect the green wire by just pulling it straight off. Now for the airbag wires. While holding the airbag in your one hand, take a pair of pliers and squeeze them on the black piece and pull straight up. Do this for both. The airbag is now freed. Place the airbag upright somewhere away from you.
5) Now is the cruise/audio connector. Just unplug that connector. I found the next step to be useful putting the steering wheel into it's locked position. Unscrew the bolt in the middle with a socket wrench, and remove the bolt. Now you can just simply wiggle the wheel back and forth, and the wheel will just pop off.
6) Replace with the new steering wheel and reverse the directions.
NOTE: The difference between the 07-08 and 09-11, is the buttons are illuminated in 09-11 and needs two extra wires. But other then that it's all plug in play and the 07-08 steering wheels can be mounted anyways even without the extra two wires and still keep the cruise function. I wouldn't doubt it's reversible too! I transferred my cruise buttons so I keep the illuminated buttons. This was alot easier than I expected.
I would like to get more info about those switches and the instalation. In the internet i found the interface, but i don't know if function properly. In e-bay you can see it arround $50 bucks.I want to get some lighted steering wheel controls for my '08 SL. I haven't been able to find any junkers that are '09 or newer with both audio and cruise on the steering wheel. Up until recently I thought the steering wheel was all one piece (at around $600 for the leather wheel with audio controls and cruise), but it turns out you can buy the switches and trim pieces separately and they're relatively inexpensive.
For those who are interested in swapping, the part number for both cruise and audio is 25550-ZW80A and costs around $85 at online parts stores. The one with just cruise and a blank left piece is 25550-ZW80B and runs around $55. Both have the left and right pieces, lights, switches and connector.
One thing that concerns me is the wiring. Will I have to run any new wires for the lights or is it just plug and play? If so, I'd like to patch them into the circuit for the dash so they come on with the instrument panel lights.
For me everything "clicked" back into place after applying steady pressure against the airbag. All I did prior to putting it back was make sure the retaining clips were in their correct position, and I also checked that no wires would be pinched as I fitted it back on. If you guide it in well enough the process should go smoothly!Hi Versa S 2009, When you put back the airbag, did it click back in when pressed down or did you have to push back on the retaining clips so that the airbag could slip in and sit properly.