Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forums and looking for some guidance on how to replace the HVAC control module on a 2009 base-model sedan.

A while ago, I smelled burning plastic in my Versa, and immediately afterward the ventilation stopped working out of the blue. After taking apart the dash and the HVAC front panel, I realized that the plastic body of the 4-way fan switch (not the knob itself, but the plastic shaft behind it) had melted due to an overcurrent or overheating, and the knob was just turning freely without doing anything. Some Googling told me I would need to replace the whole HVAC module.

My question: how do I replace the HVAC control module? It looks like there's a 14-pin (?) connector, and two cables (one green, one yellow) connected to the fan direction knob and the temperature knob.

If anyone knows of a guide for replacing that module, I would appreciate it. Disconnecting the 14-pin connector and getting the module out seems easy enough, but I have no idea how to go about disconnecting the two cables without breaking something.

Thanks!

(Picture of the module with the faceplate taken off.... you can see where the plastic has melted around the 4-way fan switch.)

·
Registered
530 Posts
To replace that, the dash has to come out.
However, if you have some snap ring pliers, some patience, and ALOT of luck, you can change it out only having to remove the panels around the radio.

Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea which parts of the dash have to come out? I heard from another source that the glove box, the panel under the steering wheel, and most of the centre dash panels have to come out. Is that right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!
I have the EXACT same problem. A part melted in my heater control module and I have to change it. Made it to take apart the dash to access the part BUT it’s somehow connected to the car with 3 wires I cannot reach.
How can I access the “end” of those 3wires? Do I have to remove the side pieces of the dash around the HVAC control module ?
Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
To replace that, the dash has to come out.
However, if you have some snap ring pliers, some patience, and ALOT of luck, you can change it out only having to remove the panels around the radio.
Hello,

New to the forums and looking for some guidance on how to replace the HVAC control module on a 2009 base-model sedan.

A while ago, I smelled burning plastic in my Versa, and immediately afterward the ventilation stopped working out of the blue. After taking apart the dash and the HVAC front panel, I realized that the plastic body of the 4-way fan switch (not the knob itself, but the plastic shaft behind it) had melted due to an overcurrent or overheating, and the knob was just turning freely without doing anything. Some Googling told me I would need to replace the whole HVAC module.

My question: how do I replace the HVAC control module? It looks like there's a 14-pin (?) connector, and two cables (one green, one yellow) connected to the fan direction knob and the temperature knob.

If anyone knows of a guide for replacing that module, I would appreciate it. Disconnecting the 14-pin connector and getting the module out seems easy enough, but I have no idea how to go about disconnecting the two cables without breaking something.

Thanks!

View attachment 17438

(Picture of the module with the faceplate taken off.... you can see where the plastic has melted around the 4-way fan switch.)
Hi!
I have the EXACT same problem. A part melted in my heater control module and I have to change it. Made it to take apart the dash to access the part BUT it’s somehow connected to the car with 3 wires I cannot reach.
How can I access the “end” of those 3wires? Do I have to remove the side pieces of the dash around the HVAC control module ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi!
I have no idea how to get to the ends of those three linkages (the ones with the green, yellow, and clear plastic jackets). What I ended up doing was pulling an HVAC panel out of a junkyard Versa (the whole thing) and re-attaching it to the three linkages already in my car. Attaching the linkages to the HVAC module is a difficult job and I ended up just having to glue them into place because the plastic tabs broke off. That's not the proper way to get the job done, but it worked for me.

The "correct" way, as far as I know, is to disconnect the linkages at the other end, down near the firewall... but I have no idea how to get to those without fully dismantling the dash, something I really didn't want to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts