Hello again folks,
I have recently replaced the steering knuckles on my '07 Versa hatch and would like to post up a nifty write-up documenting the procedure. I'd like to issue a friendly disclaimer- this job is quite involving and should not be performed by an individual possessing a novice-level mechanical prowess. Please seek professional assistance should you question your mechanical abilities :thumb2:
1) Remove wheel and tire.
2) Without disassembling the hydraulic lines, remove the torque member bolts. Then reposition the torque member and brake caliper assembly aside with wire.
Do not depress brake pedal while brake caliper is removed.
3) Put alignment marks on disc rotor and wheel hub and bearing assembly, then remove disc rotor.
4) Remove wheel sensor from steering knuckle. Do not pull on wheel sensor harness.
5) Loosen steering outer socket nut.
6) Remove steering outer socket from steering knuckle so as not to damage ball joint boot using ball joint remover or suitable tool.
Temporarily leave the outer socket nut installed to prevent damage to threads and to prevent the ball joint remover or suitable tool from suddenly coming off.
7) Remove transverse link ball joint nut and bolt. Then, remove transverse link from steering knuckle.
8) Remove cotter pin, then loosen hub lock nut using power tool. Temporarily leave the hub lock nut installed to prevent damage to threads.
9) Separate the drive shaft from the wheel hub and bearing assembly by lightly tapping the end of the drive shaft using a hammer or suitable tool, and then remove hub lock nut.
Use a suitable puller if wheel hub and bearing assembly and drive shaft cannot be separated after performing the above procedure.
10) Remove the drive shaft from the wheel hub and bearing assembly and support the drive shaft. Do not apply an excessive angle to drive shaft joint when removing from the wheel hub and bearing assembly.
Do not excessively extend slide joint.
Do not allow drive shaft to hang down. Support the entire drive shaft.
11) Remove wheel hub and bearing assembly bolts, and then remove splash guard and wheel hub and bearing assembly from steering knuckle.
12) Remove nuts and bolts, and then remove steering knuckle from strut assembly.
13) Installation is the reverse order of removal, noting the following:
Tighten the transverse link ball joint nut and bolt to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
Tighten the hub lock nut to 83 ft. lbs. (113 Nm).
Perform the final tightening of each of parts under unladen conditions, which were removed when removing wheel hub and bearing assembly and steering knuckle. Check the wheel alignment.
When installing disc rotor on wheel hub and bearing assembly, align the marks.
Nissan Versa Suspension diagram
Phew! That should just about cover it. If you have any additional points that you'd like to add, feel free to! :biggrinjester: