Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how much oil everyone puts in their Versa at oil change and how the dipstick reads. The owners manual says 3 7/8 qts or 3.875 qts with filter and 3 3/8 qts or 3.375 qts without filter. I know there's no way that little filter holds 1/2 a qt of oil. Soon after I bought my 2016 I was researching and somewhere I remember finding 3.2 qts so I've been using 3.2 qts with filter change on every change. Even at 3.2 qts my dipstick reads just slightly over the full mark but, it's not enough to worry about. Other than 3.2 qts reading about right on the dipstick this is within 1 oz of 3 liters which would make sense considering the manufacturer is in a country that uses the metric system.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
... ??? ...

Dude. Just put oil in until it's full.
I've probably been changing oil since you were shitting your diaper and know how to do it. I was just asking how much everyone else put in and how it read on their dipstick. If you don't have anything constructive to post pertaining to the question I'd rather you didn't reply to my threads. This is knowledge that could help keep someone from overfilling the crankcase and damaging their engine.

·
Registered
2018 versa sv
3 Posts
I just changed the oil in my son's 2018. It took about the 3.2qts you had said. Initially put in 3qts then added about 4oz. to top it off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just curious how much oil everyone puts in their Versa at oil change and how the dipstick reads. The owners manual says 3 7/8 qts or 3.875 qts with filter and 3 3/8 qts or 3.375 qts without filter. I know there's no way that little filter holds 1/2 a qt of oil. Soon after I bought my 2016 I was researching and somewhere I remember finding 3.2 qts so I've been using 3.2 qts with filter change on every change. Even at 3.2 qts my dipstick reads just slightly over the full mark but, it's not enough to worry about. Other than 3.2 qts reading about right on the dipstick this is within 1 oz of 3 liters which would make sense considering the manufacturer is in a country that uses the metric system.
I have no idea. Using synthetic, though, and having it done, probably paying too much.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just changed the oil in my son's 2018. It took about the 3.2qts you had said. Initially put in 3qts then added about 4oz. to top it off.
We're pretty close on how much we put in. I put in 3 qts. then add an additional 6 oz. When it's first changed it will read slightly above the full mark but, by the time oil change time comes around it's slightly below the full mark so I'll probably just continue with what I'm putting in.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have no idea. Using synthetic, though, and having it done, probably paying too much.
It's a shame you don't have a son/grandson that could do it for you. If you did you could do oil/filter with synthetic for under $20. I use conventional oil that I've had in my garage for years. The oil I'm currently using is Citgo Supergard that was bought probably about 15 years ago at a Dollar General Store grand opening at 2qts/$1. When I bought the Versa I got 10 new crush washers for the oil plug at about $ .35 each and ordered a dozen oil filters from Rock Auto at a final cost of $2. each including shipping so my oil changes cost me less than $4. each and about 15-30 minutes of my time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's a shame you don't have a son/grandson that could do it for you. If you did you could do oil/filter with synthetic for under $20. I use conventional oil that I've had in my garage for years. The oil I'm currently using is Citgo Supergard that was bought probably about 15 years ago at a Dollar General Store grand opening at 2qts/$1. When I bought the Versa I got 10 new crush washers for the oil plug at about $ .35 each and ordered a dozen oil filters from Rock Auto at a final cost of $2. each including shipping so my oil changes cost me less than $4. each and about 15-30 minutes of my time.
Everyone is too busy, haha. I do have a wonderful granddaughter, with her own business, who actually gave me the car as a gift. Love the 46 mpg I get from this little beauty. People shouldn't give up on the CVT--there's a bit of a learning curve getting used to it--it's no muscle car but great for commutes and running around the countryside. It might not get the 262K+ on my 2001 Camry, but it's a keeper anyway and serves me well. Now, if I could just keep my thumb off the fob and opening the trunk all the time...

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Versa S 5MT
30 Posts
They must have changed it for 2020. Did my first oil change a couple days ago & I measured 3.8qt from the drain pan. The owners manual says 4.375qt...i suppose that's possible if you are able to lift the car at a 75° angle 😅

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Everyone is too busy, haha. I do have a wonderful granddaughter, with her own business, who actually gave me the car as a gift. Love the 46 mpg I get from this little beauty. People shouldn't give up on the CVT--there's a bit of a learning curve getting used to it--it's no muscle car but great for commutes and running around the countryside. It might not get the 262K+ on my 2001 Camry, but it's a keeper anyway and serves me well. Now, if I could just keep my thumb off the fob and opening the trunk all the time...
I love the gas mileage too. My average since purchase, 2/19 till current date is 48.8 MPG. I had a tank at 55.656 MPG this past summer. I have the same problem keeping my fingers off the trunk button. Friday I was going somewhere and when I looked in the rearview mirror and the trunk was flopping in the wind.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now, if I could just keep my thumb off the fob and opening the trunk all the time...
If you want you can go inside the trunk and unplug the electrical connector at the truck latch and simply use the key for unlocking the trunk when needed. When I first got my Versa I thought about doing this but as time has gone by I've got better about not hitting the button on the fob.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's officially 3.7 quarts, according to the manual and this site which I use to look up oil capacity (plus the products are decent as well)
www.searchforparts.com/oil-change/nissan/datsun-2016-versa-1.6l-hr16de

don't know why it would be showing as full at level at 3.2 quarts, ask your mechanic maybe?
I am the mechanic 99% of the time. I'm due an OC right now. I was planning to do it Monday but my back pain has flared up so, I don't feel like crawling around underneath it right now. At the last oil change I used 3 qts. 6 oz. and 7500 miles later it's still sitting on the full mark. I never get any abnormal engine noises nor does the oil light ever flicker so I'm just going to continue doing what I've done ever since I bought it in Feb. 2019.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
103 Posts
...but my back pain has flared up so, I don't feel like crawling around underneath it right now..
I recently purchased a fluid extractor (ebay) and it came with all manner of attachments and hoses (one fits my dipstick tube, perfectly). At my next oil chance interval, I plan to extract my used oil. Moreover, I can get to my oil filter from above (I hand tighten my oil filter, so it comes off without too much struggle).

A youtube mechanic actually measured how much oil was left behind when you extract vs. using the drain plug and it was minimal (an ounce or two).

With your back "flaring up", it might be a good idea to get an extractor. I got mine on sale for $15, but they appear to be around $40 (off sale).

As for your original question, (after an oil and filter change) I put in 3.25 quarts, start the engine (get the oil circulated), turn it off and check the dipstick. In the past, I've added an ounce or two, but nothing major.

Regarding your back, I do know your pain, as I usually throw mine out about once a year.

Get well, soon!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I recently purchased a fluid extractor (ebay) and it came with all manner of attachments and hoses (one fits my dipstick tube, perfectly). At my next oil chance interval, I plan to extract my used oil. Moreover, I can get to my oil filter from above (I hand tighten my oil filter, so it comes off without too much struggle).

A youtube mechanic actually measured how much oil was left behind when you extract vs. using the drain plug and it was minimal (an ounce or two).

With your back "flaring up", it might be a good idea to get an extractor. I got mine on sale for $15, but they appear to be around $40 (off sale).

As for your original question, (after an oil and filter change) I put in 3.25 quarts, start the engine (get the oil circulated), turn it off and check the dipstick. In the past, I've added an ounce or two, but nothing major.

Regarding your back, I do know your pain, as I usually throw mine out about once a year.

Get well, soon!!
I got the oil change done this morning. Just in time to beat the rain.

I may look into an extractor some day.

As for my back I have chronic back pain associated with a construction accident about 22 years ago that left me disabled. Ever since about last Thursday or Friday it's been worse than usual. I'd been feeling better for a few weeks so I was doing more work around the house and I guess I over did it. I've got lots of things that need to be taken care of outside before winter weather sets in but if my back doesn't cooperate some of them may not get done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts