Nissan Versa Forums banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
well, the new engine has the same rattling up top as the old but not as bad, yet. it will get there, just like the first/original engine did. and to top it all off, the clutch/input shaft bearing is making a noise in neutral- with foot off the clutch. goes away when you press in the clutch. it's a rumbling noise. AND, when the car has sat for a few hours, taking off from a stop there is shuddering when hitting the gas/releasing the clutch. I thought maybe it was condensation on flywheel but it keeps returning day after day. I think the clutch got contaminated with oil or there is a leak going on causing it...

thoughts?

It's going back Wednesday morning....

if they can't or wont fix, lemon law or BOW (breach of warranty) time with 3000 miles even on the odo. I expect something better from a new car. even one that is labeled as "cheap".
so sad to hear the engine is not good.
did you perform the knock test to see if it also has the rod knock problem?? this is an important taks to do. because it can play even more in your favour.
about the clutch, if apply a little pressure on clutch pedal (not all down) and the noise still there, is NOT throw out bearing, but the noise only goes away when clutch is fully pressed, in my opinion is duall mass flyweehl.
before i sold my car, with 10k km, the rattling was noticeable, and in my opinion was because of bad quality of duall mass flywheel, all are going to rattle, and i am sure none of these flywheels will last more than
i have heard in person brand new versas and micras, and some of them, man, not only the engine was rattling everywhere, but the flywheel noise was awfull.
if you cant get a new clutch/flywheel and engine, apply the lemon law, these cars are, TOO bad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
they replaced clutch under warranty. picking up today. they said flywheel had fluid contamination. we shall see how it feels to me today. they said shutter is gone...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
they replaced clutch under warranty. picking up today. they said flywheel had fluid contamination. we shall see how it feels to me today. they said shutter is gone...
how is the clutch now?? is the noise still there??
what about the engine?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Pretty silly to have a widespread problem like this when the technology to not have it has been around for 75 years......................hey, underpay people (globalization) and that's what you get, no reason for them to work hard or correctly.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Read the whole thread, amc49. This it not, I repeat NOT a confirmed "widespread problem". The instance posted by the OP is the only case I would tentatively regard as "confirmed" thus far, everything else is either unconfirmed or totally different issues posted by over-zealous (and sometimes confused) people. As far as I can see, Nissan is NOT shipping out engines with loose rod caps. Statistically, there is going to be an occasional oddball failure every once in a while with anything that is mass produced. None of the evidence submitted thus far has me convinced there is any abnormal rate of issues with these cars above or beyond what is typical for any major automotive manufacturer. There is no good reason for anyone to continue to perpetuate this as its basically slander at this point.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I havent checked the code, but I have those extra noises and pop corn noise at idle.

Thought Id wait til I get 35,990 miles before I take it to the dealer so Ill have a new engine by time the warranty is up. Should help with resale value. :nerd:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I havent checked the code, but I have those extra noises and pop corn noise at idle.

Thought Id wait til I get 35,990 miles before I take it to the dealer so Ill have a new engine by time the warranty is up. Should help with resale value. :nerd:
The 36,000 mile warranty is only bumper-to-bumper. The engine is covered under the powertrain warranty which expires at 60 months (5 years) or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. I'm waiting until 60,000 miles to have my engine replaced, which I imagine will be a struggle with the dealership since they will do everything they can to not do warranty-covered repair work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If someone could listen to mine and give me feedback, I'd appreciate it. Its a 2016 Versa Note with 350 miles. My phone mic is not so good.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Arudlang, I do not concur, the very existence of a paper covering the subject puts the lie to the words......................................you have no need to read (I did though) the entire thread, the very first post (and the pic of that paper) is all you need.

No company publishes like that unless way more than 1 or 4 or 50 engines have had the problem. Even 100 can fit into the statistical variation, I'd bet on more than that number easily. Companies typically blame 'overzealous owners' for WAY higher numbers than that before they are forced to make internal changes (the paper) in reaction to faults like that. Expect them to take care of you like you are family? Brother, you are going to get a rude awakening at some point in todays' world. I worked in manufacturing all my life, I know how it works.

I seem to be able to come up with lots of MR18DE issues too, care to comment on how I'm imagining that?

I should point out I'm not your common overzealous owner. I've rebuilt hundreds if not thousands of engines in my life and so many types I could not say if forced to. I have never paid ever in my entire life for any car repair whatsoever, I do it all myself and I commonly repair things the dealers throw their hands up in the air over at pennies over $100 dollar bills.

It could easily be a batch of bad TTY rod bolts, once you go to that procedure to hold torque you MUST have the best quality control possible on the parts as you are technically twisting a bolt in two using that procedure. Pick the cheapest vendor and bam, you are there, broken motors. I personally think TTY rod bolts are a stupid move by the industry but they have their reasons for it and it is more of what you do NOT want to hear. It's not to your benefit, that's for sure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I see what you're saying, amc49, but there is only that one paper and its in spanish for cripes sake, none of us can even read that (if there is someone here who can, a translated copy of the paper would be HUGELY appreciated!)

Are you certain the connecting rod caps use TTY bolts? I have not purchased a service manual yet for this car (don't expect to need it for a few years) but if you or someone has a FSM that could confirm they use torque-to-yield bolts there that would be helpful information because I don't think its a given assumption, although very possible.

Half of what you said fits with what I was saying, that there are going to be some issues with any mass produced engine. But we have here at most only one confirmed case as far as I can see the rest are speculation or different issues, are they not? Nobody else has submitted any paperwork from their dealer confirming this issue, just the first poster. Its not enough to frighten everyone into thinking their engine is falling apart when we know thats not the case, thousands upon thousands of these cars roam the roads every day and these engines have all the normal bangs and pings and pops of a normal engine and you will easily make people paranoid who don't understand that engines make lots of noise, especially when there is so little insulation between this engine and the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with Arudlang. I bought a 2016 Versa Note and was curious about the engine design and its reliability. My research lead me to several people and different forums complaining of some knock at mid RPMs and how all the motors coming out of Mexico are effected and likely bad. I went into a panic and started listening very carefully to my engine. Guess what? I heard sounds. Lots of sounds. Knocks, bangs, sewing machine, clicks, whirs. It's almost as if there are a lot of things going on in there with explosions and everything. Then, as I started reading more and more, finding more and more forums about this knock, I realized almost EVERY ONE was started or hijacked by the same guy! This guy Gonzagr is all over the internet complaining about this and bashing on this motor. Any time someone on a forum has a problem, he appears and says it is probably this same problem even though the symptoms are not the same. Then in the forums, people go out and listen to their engine and say "HEY MINE IS MAKING NOISE TOO!" and get nervous just like I did. And in each forum, a person or two has a real problem, usually not quite what Gonzagr had, but maybe similar. Gonzagr guarantees and promises it is the same problem even though the symptoms are not identical. He talks about all these other people with problems, but when I did more research, I found these forums and the problems were not identical. But he was making it sound like they were. One guy had a problem at startup. Another had an intermittent noise he couldn't always replicate. Another at idle, and another during accelleration. In each case, Gonzagr would post his pictures of a spanish document and say how it referenced the posters problem and how it was super widespread. He talks about getting lawyers involved in mid 2015 and selling his car, but also says his car is being serviced normally at the dealership in 2016. It just doesn't add up.

In doing my research and reading over a dozen forums, I have now relaxed. I've found lots of people saying things like "yeah, mine has the knock sound and I'm at 107K miles and its running strong". But these people do not get the same attention as the person who posts 12 times about their problems that may or may not be similar. I think Gonzagr probably thinks he's helping people. But all I can see is that he's making people nervous about what appears to be a good performing, economical and reliable motor. I don't doubt he had a legitimate problem. And that others do too. I hadn't realized it but Nissan has made hundreds of thousands of these motors, with various design evolutions for nearly 20 years. Technical sites rate them as incredibly reliable.

Having said that, I plan to be proactive. I'll regularly service my car and pay attention to its performance, fuel economy, and even sounds. If something seems off, I'll take it in and have it looked at. But I won't freak out because maybe I hear a sound that some guy on the internet swears is a plague on every engine. He simply can't know.

·
Registered
980 Posts
True. Engines make all sorts of noises, the uninitiated will think they are falling apart. If car is yours then simply take care of it, the best thing one can do. My view is wait for the things that will happen, there will be plenty enough of them as it is. With Ford I have found the cars are being pre-engineered to break every part on them not associated with engine or trans, calculated to add up to enough nuisance items to make one yearn for a new car. You can buy parts all day long to find the ways they are made to fail in seconds just by looking at them and then later they break exactly like you guessed. Why I have had my last Ford forever. I pretty much re-engineer the broken parts now to commonly recoup them to put back on car for pennies yet they last far longer than any OEM part ever. That's pretty d-mn silly if you ask me, I have no formal training in it.

The Nissan paper even existing though says it all, I've been through this with the Fords and all the myriad faults they cover up and I have direct knowledge of literally more than I can count. The tech people all will tell you the DCT trans in the compacts is reliable yet they are still junk now and since 2012 when they first showed up. Common now though for Ford techs to cave in and admit in varying amounts that problem there as they are tired of simply re-lying over and over to the same customers in for the 3rd or 4th trans. They are really tired of all the transmission R&R they have to do too, and thinking it'll still be back again. When I was in parts we had several dealerships as clients and I asked about things like that and they would tell you the truth in a heartbeat.

Bad rods can make WAY more than one noise depending on how the bearing spins, no way is it as simple as 'doing the test' although it could be helpful. I used to change spun bearings on a friends' hi-po 327 SBC, the engine was built using the early non-cloverleaf non-'pink' non-hi-perf rod, the big end went eggshape to spin a bearing at over 6800-7000 rpm. You simply didn't abuse it afterward and just changing a single rod bearing set for another and you were back up and running again until you messed up to miss another gear to do it again. We changed bearing like 3 times in that pig of a car ('64 Chevy II)

I can figure out some of the last half of page, it deals with replacing the rod, cap and/or bearings there for noise due to excessive clearance.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If ANY torque on a bolt ends with the final stage in an ANGLE rather than a torque, then the bolt is TTY. The one I personally am concerned with is a '11 MR18, the rod bolt torque final tighten in the service manual is '60 degrees' on an angle gauge. The final has to be an angle because once the bolt begins to pull apart the torque stops increasing and can even DROP as you tighten more. You are 'yielding' the bolt to potential failure, what TTY (torque to yield) means.

Nissan goes on to give a rod bolt 'thread diameter' check (TTY parts permanently deform to make the bolt less in diameter than it was before) for too much stretch after the first go-round, Ford did that stuff for a while then realized TTY parts are unreliable enough they were blowing up more engines by trying to reuse the same bolt over again in a repair. The norm is to NEVER reuse them, you tried to twist it in half before, and really asking for it to do it a second time. Besides, like hinted at earlier, one of the other Ford efforts was to GREATLY increase parts throughput, now service manuals say to change literally every bolt you remove from the cars, quoting 'increased litigation' as a major reason for it. I, being the pessimistic realist I am, think it's more in terms of making sure the CEO gets 'adequate compensation' (as they called it in the corporation financials I used to print for many years).

·
Registered
3 Posts
256,300 miles on '09 Versa 1.6L Base 5MT

I don't know for sure if I have the engine knock and I will post a video of my car later on today, but just wanted to say I have done nothing but maintenance and still am holding 205-210 PSI compression on all cylinders. we checked that when we did the timing chain a couple months ago at 250K miles. It is all highway miles, but I change my oil every 3,000 with 5w-30 synthetic blend. It is actually a FordCraft motor oil, as I get it free. Also I have changed my gear oil (trans fluid if your not old school, lol) every 30K miles with Valvoline 75w-90 (I know, spec is 75w-80). I have also done all the normal stuff.....tires, brake pads and rotors (still original rear brake shoes), cabin filter, bulbs, wipers, serpentine belt (yes the original lasted until 200K miles!), throttle body ( my fault, I broke the module during timing chain replacement, trying to clean it out) and spark plugs every 100K miles. It still runs strong and gets 38-39 MPG down the hwy (40-42 MPG if you can manage to drive slow at 71 mph, lol). It does make a tick noise until warm, but at this point the least of my worries. I bought it brand new, been the only owner and have NEVER been to Nissan for anything, do it all myself.

Cold start ..... What do you hear? is that my timing guide? I just replaced those.....is sounds a lot worse on video than in person...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0oTtAjoO7eoUDdzZjRpRHB6Zmc/view?usp=sharing

I don't hear the knock when warmed up, what do you hear?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0oTtAjoO7eoQUxFcUpOczhSLVE/view?usp=sharing

Feed back would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
216 Posts
dw77777 said:
Cold start ..... What do you hear? is that my timing guide? I just replaced those.....is sounds a lot worse on video than in person...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0o...ew?usp=sharing

I don't hear the knock when warmed up, what do you hear?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0o...ew?usp=sharing

Feed back would be greatly appreciated!
I think the information would be better tracked if you started a fresh thread for these items rather than adding onto this one. That being said, the cold start vid it might be that the starter is not disengaging the flywheel fast enough causing the starter to get overdriven by the engine for a moment before it finally lets go. I don't hear anything of concern in your second video.

·
Registered
980 Posts
X2 on possible starter or flywheel issue. Bendix assembly is dragging to stick or throwing out of gear too soon to try to re-engage to crunch teeth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2012 versa 1.6 s base 5MT
Am i within the faulty production period?
I know a bit back i heard something knocking/vibrating, but i figured out that it was that little cover thing on the side of the intake filter box. Shit has litterally worn down edges sharp on the plastic, although im not worried about it. Cold air intake will replace all of it anyways once i get around to it. And it idles oddly low, but it threw a code for the idle control module but it went away the next day. Anybody have any problems with their icm?

Keeping an ear out though. LAST thing i need is for my engine to fail before i have the resources to do whatever swap i decide to do lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Skydona said:
Am i within the faulty production period?
No! There is no "faulty production period"! :banghead: This thread was copy/pasted on multiple forum websites by some slanderous fear mongering nitwit to try to frighten gullible people.

Your car is a 2012 for cripes sakes, don't you think if it had some terrible design flaw it would have manifested itself by now, 5 years later? Relax and enjoy your perfectly fine car :driving:

61 - 80 of 110 Posts