Nissan Versa Forums banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Take on This Issue

2016 with 15k miles checking in. No engine issues at all so far, only thing that's ever broken on this car was the transmission. >:D Im with Arudlang on this one, this entire "issue" seems to be a case of mass hysteria induced by a single angry owner who had a legitimate defective engine. Defects happen, and may lead to costly repairs. However, the manufacturer accounts for these defects with a warranty.
At about 12,000 miles, my manual transmission lost 2nd gear. I essentially had to go from 1st to 3rd every time I drove, and that was a pain. But thanks to the warranty, I took it to the dealer and they replaced it with a brand new one, no questions asked and at absolutely no cost to me. Just because my transmission had an issue does not mean that I am going to go around internet forums scaring people about the reliability of the manual transmission under the misguided intention of performing a public service. (Granted, I do not have a paper from the factory acknowledging this as an issue).
Another thought, if Nissan had acknowledged this issue on the manufacturing level in 2015 or earlier, than by now, if this was an actual widespread issue, all new engines coming out of the factory would have had this alleged defect corrected, and all defective engines with any decent amount of mileage on them would have suffered from this presumably major issue. Something as serious as rod knock, despite how minor it may be, would persist for so long without some sort of engine damage. Addionally, after scanning the web, there does not seem to be very many owners complaining of engine failure. Most topics threads mention nothing more than a noise, (which they likely wouldn't even have noticed if not for this original thread).
It seems to me that many people are being misguided and are mistaking a regular noise from busy little 4 cylinder engine as something much more severe. I myself was guilty of doing this exact same thing, being so stressed as to literally being awake at night thinking that I was driving a ticking time bomb, and that my new car was going to blow up at any second. However, I looked at the facts, read others' arguments, and considered them logically. Eventually, through much time and mileage, I laid these fears to rest and decided to just enjoy my little econobox. :smile

·
Registered
980 Posts
You're a little early with that victory lap at 15K miles.

Maybe as well, you should look up the history of the 'other' engine, the MR18DE..............which went year after year with major failures over and over.................and pretty much wipes this out..............

'...if this was an actual widespread issue, all new engines coming out of the factory would have had this alleged defect corrected,...'

Your brand loyalty, like most out there, is somewhat misplaced. You paid for a car, you should get a certain expected use out of said car, but anything past that has one sucking..................well, you get the picture.

The cars either break or they don't, anything past that is unnecessary human BS, what we do best. One is either realistic about things or misguided due to self-delusion and don't be blaming that on others.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Im mixed on this myself. Sure I get the same noises, but it seems fine from my experience with engines and driving them to failure.

From what I see the biggest issue is oil consumption in the industry and with that comes misfires, codes, poor performance and destroyed spark plugs.

My previous car was a honda insight. I thought I was setup since hybrid have high resale values and hondas run forever. Well, its value dropped like a rock. At 104 thousand miles I got the dreded misfire code and the car entered limp mode limited me to 20 mph.

I went to replace the plugs, adjust valves, check egr for blockage. No sooner I cracked loose where the egr and intake bolts to the head I had what looked like chocolate syrup drip down the side of the engine. When I removed the top of the intake it was full of oil.

Long story short I cleaned it put it back together and sold it as is for a few grand to a guy with one with even more problems and less miles than mines. :surprise

·
Registered
11 Posts
You're a little early with that victory lap at 15K miles.

Maybe as well, you should look up the history of the 'other' engine, the MR18DE..............which went year after year with major failures over and over.................and pretty much wipes this out..............

'...if this was an actual widespread issue, all new engines coming out of the factory would have had this alleged defect corrected,...'

Your brand loyalty, like most out there, is somewhat misplaced. You paid for a car, you should get a certain expected use out of said car, but anything past that has one sucking..................well, you get the picture.

The cars either break or they don't, anything past that is unnecessary human BS, what we do best. One is either realistic about things or misguided due to self-delusion and don't be blaming that on others.
I don't really understand what you are saying. I'm not doing any sort of "victory lap". I'm just saying that my vehicle does not seem to be suffering from this supposed widespread issue. Of course, if I do end up with catastrophic engine damage, it's more a matter of bad luck than anything else. This is my first Nissan and I know very well that them rectifying this manufacturing error is more of a financial reason than anything else. It is much cheaper to alter a small step in the manufacturing process than it is to constantly have to warranty out failing engines, not to mention the risk of any lawsuits that may be caused by someone's engine blowing up in the middle of a highway. The MR18 was prone to issues, but that does not mean that every single one of them failed. Even large international corporations can learn from their mistakes, and Nissan actually acknowledging this manufacturing error in this engine by releasing a technical bulletin from the factory proves that they are taking steps to reduce incidences of this issue.

·
Registered
216 Posts
@5spd Your 5-speed went out in the first 15k miles? Thats terrible! Hopefully a one-in-a-million defect there, but yours is the only manual I have heard of giving problems so far.

Anyways perhaps some more water to dump on the smoldering fire, I learned recently that our motors do not use hydraulic lifters so right there with solid lifters we know we are going to have a much noisier motor than many others out there. Also means valve lash is a thing that will need adjusted someday :frown5: I read it should be adjusted at 60k miles. Adjustment looks like a huge PITA, requiring removal of the cams and shims and all manner of baloney... :puke:

I'm not going to sweat it too much, chance of me still owning this car at 60k miles is, at this point, extremely unlikely. I have 7500 miles so far, it is a year until my wedding. As soon as the wedding is over and that expense is no longer looming over us, I am going to trade in for another Honda :leaving:

Her civic is so many orders of magnitude nicer and better built than my versa its not even funny, and the distant memory of my previous car which was also a honda is oft in my mind while bumping around in this antiquated bucket of bolts. One thing I'm not going to worry about between now and then is the noisy motor. Its perfectly fine. Its not as quiet and good a motor as what others build, but there isn't any defect, its just the way it is :ashamed:

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
FYI, the tappets may go whopping amounts longer than you think with no setting of them again. If the cams are as lightly sprung as the Ford ones are and with the modern heattreats on parts you can go forever with no setting of them at all. The Fords suggest 'when needed' as a response to the question and they pretty much make the shims or tappets needed to do the work unobtainium anyway. The mechs I talked to at the dealers said they NEVER set them. They picked up this tech from the bikes, where much of higher car tech now comes from, the bikes having like 12,000 rpm redlines and still having to have the tappets show some kind of normal wear. My DOHC bikes that were supposed to set every 5K miles when the spec is loosened up a bit for longer life go easily 25K miles before enough wear to set them again. The cars do not rev nearly so high (6800 rpm) and as a result the cams may be like the Ford, you can literally push the valves open by hand. Meaning virtually zero wear in the valve train. The cam lobes never go flat any longer either like oldschool engines did, they simply polish up and look spiffy even at 200K miles. I, being the picky soul I am, set tappets on one of them even though not needed and the wear was so little I decided it was a waste of time, even on 200+K mile engines.

Ignore any cold start rattle-concentrate on warm idle tappet noise only, they get much quieter as they heat up, the long valves to reach all the way through those tall heads means the clearances have to be huge too (.016" on the Ford exhausts, that's huge!), but they DO shut up when hot. They are not the .003"-.005" clearance parts commonly used in the past............................

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cobb said:
That article is over a year old, I don't think anything ever came of it either as there was no recall that I am aware of. Doesn't apply to us though, because we have the 1.5 turbo engine and the article cites only the 2.0 liter naturally aspirated engine. That little more hauls big time, and its quiet and comfortable and stable to boot. Something like 75 more horsepower than my versa while still getting better gas mileage, with way bigger rims and tires to turn. We like our civic a lot.

Still it might be premature for me to say my next ride will be a honda... too early to be certain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 17 versa bought in April of 17, sitting at the dealer since DEC 16, almost 3k miles on it and once in the hot summer I noticed a tapping noise. I popped the hood and started to search. I put my hand on the plastic intake tube and the noise stopped. Sometimes noises are caused by the silliest things. Really cheap car and the intake is loose from the factory.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Many are intended to be loose and necessary as the engine which airbox may be attached to has to move around in the engine mounts but the other forward upper part of the intake is also fastened to the non-moving radiator support or something close. The intake tube then must be able to move, locking it down solid would break it in the cold of winter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Many are intended to be loose and necessary as the engine which airbox may be attached to has to move around in the engine mounts but the other forward upper part of the intake is also fastened to the non-moving radiator support or something close. The intake tube then must be able to move, locking it down solid would break it in the cold of winter.
Pretty much like accuracy (tight tolerances) vs. reliability in weaponry.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Same here about amc49.

Yeah, some parts like intake and exhaust need to flex as the engine and tranny rocks and rolls under the hood as you drive.

After ten or so years its not uncommon for those vacuum hoses to start leaking, splitting and the bellows like pieces to develop splits or cuts and leak causing strange performance issues. This is where using a bottle of wd 40 and spraying stuff helps to narrow it down and physical inspection of connections vs just eye balling it.

Went over my sidekick and all the large 3 inch hose clamps that holds the intake parts together. Yup, they all needed a few twists of the screw driver. Did it drive or handle any different? No.:frown

Oh, my engine still makes that popcorn sound. No better or worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys!! I did a knock test on my replacement engine (2018 Nissan Versa manual on its second engine.... First was replaced at 8720mi....new block has approximately 500mi on it) Wanted to know if this engine sounded healthy or had a knock like I suspected with the first engine. https://youtu.be/CIRPciiN06w

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone. New memeber here. I purchased my 2019 versa s 5mt in December brand new. Around 500 miles, i started to notice a knock. It has progressively gotten worse. The car now has 6,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop for a month now. They replaced the engine last week. The brand new replacement engine also was no good and they had to order a third engine and do the job all over again. Car is still in the shop. I'm begging them to just give me my money back. They wont.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey everyone. New memeber here. I purchased my 2019 versa s 5mt in December brand new. Around 500 miles, i started to notice a knock. It has progressively gotten worse. The car now has 6,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop for a month now. They replaced the engine last week. The brand new replacement engine also was no good and they had to order a third engine and do the job all over again. Car is still in the shop. I'm begging them to just give me my money back. They wont.
Give Nissan a call and explain what has been going on, and the time that your vehicle has been in the shop. If that fails to get the desired results, contact the second link regarding the legal action you can take. I have no experience with the second link, so I cannot give you any advice regarding their work. Good luck!!!

https://www.nissanusa.com/lemon-law.html

https://lemonlawexperts.com/nissan-repurchase-lemon-law/

·
Registered
167 Posts
Did the dealer service department give you any specifics to what the knock was?

I'm wondering if rod bearing clearance is opening up enough on the effected cylinders to drop warm oil pressure.

I just read this entire thread, had no idea this potential problem existed and I follow a lot of everything automotive/mechanical.

One of the reasons I bought a Versa for my kids is the fact I see them in taxi/livery service in my area. One outfit sells them off occasionally with close to 300K miles on them and they're actually in really good shape yet.

Our 2015 Versa 1.6S has 43K miles on it and is super quiet at cold start and hot idle. No undue noises at all.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts