Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I bought a used BC Racing BR Type Coilovers over Ebay (I believe it's from Crafthell) and I'll be picking it up tomorrow (got to drive to the border). I'll probably have them installed within the next few weeks.

Once my tax return comes in, I'll get some new wheels. I originally wanted;
- Rims - XXR 530 17x7 4x100 +35
- Tires - Yokohama S.Drive - 205/40/17

Now I'm thinking to go wider... because I like take corners pretty fast. I was thinking to get 17x8.25 but I didn't like the poke I'd get (correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'd get at least 1" poking out) and I didn't want to make camber adjustments because I don't want the tires to wear out so fast.

So now, I'm thinking;
- XXR 527 17x7.5 4x100 +40
- Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 - 225/45/17

Hopefully this new setup I want doesn't rub.

I'm new to all of this so please let me know if some of this doesn't make sense or wont work. I'll keep you guys posted and post some pics when coilovers are installed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Grats on the coilovers, please post pix and story about getting them put in and how it goes....
the tuner in me prefers the 527 style....but like you said it all comes down to fit and look. Good luck! and enjoy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

I bought a used BC Racing BR Type Coilovers over Ebay (I believe it's from Crafthell) and I'll be picking it up tomorrow (got to drive to the border). I'll probably have them installed within the next few weeks.

Once my tax return comes in, I'll get some new wheels. I originally wanted;
- Rims - XXR 530 17x7 4x100 +35
- Tires - Yokohama S.Drive - 205/40/17

Now I'm thinking to go wider... because I like take corners pretty fast. I was thinking to get 17x8.25 but I didn't like the poke I'd get (correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'd get at least 1" poking out) and I didn't want to make camber adjustments because I don't want the tires to wear out so fast.

So now, I'm thinking;
- XXR 527 17x7.5 4x100 +40
- Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 - 225/45/17

Hopefully this new setup I want doesn't rub.

I'm new to all of this so please let me know if some of this doesn't make sense or wont work. I'll keep you guys posted and post some pics when coilovers are installed!
Congrats on your new (used set up) coilovers. Crafthell and I got our set at the same time, guess he's selling his car or going with a different set up.
I've had mine for about a year and love it. I'm chiming in as I have some experience with wheel/tire set-up on my 2015 Note S. 17x7/17x7.5 will work only with the +40 offset, you will have trouble with a +35 offset. As for tires, do not get that 225/45/17 tire as it will rub, unless you leave it raised. If your planning on dropping you need to stay at 205/45/17 or 205/40/17 and no bigger. I have 17x7 +40 205/45/17 with no problems. Just got some XXR 557 15x8 +20 205/50/15 and had to jack my rear way up. Looks crazy like a SCCA race car right now. I think if I did this one again I'd do a 195/45/15 tire. Ride is amazing with a 50 series tire. Hope this helps and look forward to seeing a picture. Q

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Err, what car do you have?

Which border? North or South assuming North America. :nerd:
2017 Versa Note SR and I'm from Canada lol

Grats on the coilovers, please post pix and story about getting them put in and how it goes....
the tuner in me prefers the 527 style....but like you said it all comes down to fit and look. Good luck! and enjoy.
Thanks! I'll post pics soon, probably within a couple weeks. I'm just waiting on a few things. I know, I really like 527 but I want that tiny bit more wideness for the tires.

Congrats on your new (used set up) coilovers. Crafthell and I got our set at the same time, guess he's selling his car or going with a different set up.
I've had mine for about a year and love it. I'm chiming in as I have some experience with wheel/tire set-up on my 2015 Note S. 17x7/17x7.5 will work only with the +40 offset, you will have trouble with a +35 offset. As for tires, do not get that 225/45/17 tire as it will rub, unless you leave it raised. If your planning on dropping you need to stay at 205/45/17 or 205/40/17 and no bigger. I have 17x7 +40 205/45/17 with no problems. Just got some XXR 557 15x8 +20 205/50/15 and had to jack my rear way up. Looks crazy like a SCCA race car right now. I think if I did this one again I'd do a 195/45/15 tire. Ride is amazing with a 50 series tire. Hope this helps and look forward to seeing a picture. Q
Congrats on the XXR 557s! I like the style. Thanks for the advice. I looked at the pictures on your profile and it looks really good. It's just hard to tell, could you post more pictures up close showing the tire/fender gap and how flush it is? I'd really appreciate that.

I also don't plan to slam the car but just low enough to clear speed bumps lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Versa forum won't let me post pictures, something problems with the software. Trust me I have tried!!!! The rear you cannot get a finger in there. Front are good as long as you don't go above a 205. XXR 15x8 rims with a +20 offset are a hoot to drive on. Nitto Neogen tires are wicked sticky, my note feel like a race car!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is finished! It was installed a few days ago but haven't had a chance to post some pictures up. It was my first time ever taking the suspension apart and it took me an entire day to get it done. The front was a pain to do. After installing it, I went for a test drive and my alignment was so off lol. Went to a friends shop to get an alignment, all is well now. I also put some yellow adhesive film on the fog lights but they aren't in these pictures.

So I'm just going to let it sit like that for now until my rims come in which I just ordered the yesterday. Then I'm thinking to either raise the rear up a bit or lower the front left coil or both. Right now it's way to high compared to the front right coil (over half an inch) and I'm not a heavy guy.

The rims are the XXR 527 17x7.5 +40ET in gold. I'm just getting quotes on a set Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 215/45R17 from a couple places. I also just ordered the centric rings. So I should have everything installed in over a week.

I'm currently looking at tuner lugs for the new set of rims. I'm not sure what to get. I'm currently looking at MUTEKI LOCK SR35. I'm not sure if they will fit the XXR 527s. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Looks like the rear is lower than the front. I think with the engine on the passenger side it equals out when the driver sits inside. >:D

Im not much of a wheel guy. I just buy from tirerack and they include the nuts, alignment rings, hub centers and mounting and balancing. I normally get my tires there too so its a ready to go package and new tpms sensors. I switched wheels then went to firestore and for 25 bucks to reprogrammed the computer on my old car.

I like big tires. Call me crazy, but thats my taste. When these need replacing Ill go up a size or 3 and the lightest rim tirerack sells to offset the weight of the heavier tire.

I never had coil overs but they say they have 3 settings. Preload, ride height and bottom out point.

Ive purchased lowering springs and if I can I look for progressive rate springs vs ones with dead coils. Sometimes you dont have a choice as many cars Ive owned were that popular in the aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! Looks great. I have coilovers on my Versa too and love them. As far as wheels goes, I'll give you my opinion! I used to have wheels that were 17x8.25 +25 and thought those were too wide, new wheels are 17x7.5 +42 and miss my old setup. Figures right? I would either go with a lower offset, or a wider setup. Maybe 17x8 with Roughly +30 offset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the rear is lower than the front.
It's the angle I shot it on. The rear fenders are wider so they stick out more than the front. So that's why it looks like it's closer to the fender. Kinda makes me want to get spacers for the rear when I get my rims... but hesitant because it's... well... spacers lol. The rear is actually slightly higher than the front.

Congrats on your purchase! Looks great. I have coilovers on my Versa too and love them. As far as wheels goes, I'll give you my opinion! I used to have wheels that were 17x8.25 +25 and thought those were too wide, new wheels are 17x7.5 +42 and miss my old setup. Figures right? I would either go with a lower offset, or a wider setup. Maybe 17x8 with Roughly +30 offset.
Thanks Josh! I know, I first wanted that same set up you had. Yours looked amazing. The only reason for this rim was;
- Rubbing - because I take corners like I'm a F1 driver
- Colour - I wanted Gold
- Price - My budget for this was getting tight and these rims were in a good price range. Plus the quality I hear is really good

I really wanted the Japan Racing JR18 17x8 4x100 ET35. These are gorgeous, it would have been the perfect wheel. It would be so flush. The only thing was the price... it was double the price of the XXR's. Maybe in the future the prices will go down when they make more. Then I'll scoop one up.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm able to get to the images on imgur but seems to be some issue with the embed tags, but anyways those new rims look pretty great! The lugs are wild too.

I'm hoping to eventually get my hands on a set of stock alloy rims like the ones your car came with, to replace my steelies, so if you are thinking about potentially selling your stock rims/tires send me a PM :seeya:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm able to get to the images on imgur but seems to be some issue with the embed tags, but anyways those new rims look pretty great! The lugs are wild too.

I'm hoping to eventually get my hands on a set of stock alloy rims like the ones your car came with, to replace my steelies, so if you are thinking about potentially selling your stock rims/tires send me a PM :seeya:
Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm going to keep them for winter tires. Also, the center bore size on this is 1mm larger than the previous generation.

I learned this the hard way, I thought they were 59.1mm (that's what the internet said). I tried them on the other day and it didn't work. So if anyone has a 2017 Versa, the proper inside diameter size for the hub center is 60.1mm. Now I gotta wait until this next order.... ugh.

Since I already took the wheel off, I decided to just put the wheels on one side. Here's a pic, forgive me for the bad quality;

Now I'm really thinking to get a 5mm spacer for the rear because it would be perfectly flush. The front is perfectly flush as well but I'm thinking to lower it and because it'll be lower I may get camber bolts for the front because it may rub under heavy loading.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sweet ride!!! Love it, the gold sets it off. Funny you mentioned you stock rim, I did the same thing but sold the OEM tires and put crazy snow tires on mine. When I put them on it looks crazy with the big knobbys, feels very 4X4 ish. Does handle great with those tires on during winter months, drove in some ice last winter and they were amazing. Q

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So I've had the wheels on for over a couple weeks now and there are a few things I've noticed.

First off... these Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are amazing. So much grip through corners and amazing in wet. There are some twisty roads in my area and it feels so planted. I will definitely recommend these, it may be overkill but they are fantastic.

Secondly, my front left wheel is sticking out farther than my front right wheel.... not sure how that happened.

Third, my front left wheel feels like it wobbles when I change direction.... I looked it up and it may be that the tire wasn't balanced properly. I have a routine maintenance this week so I'll let them take a look at it.

Fourth, Civics, FRS's, WRX's want to race me for some reason lol and I'm like nope...

So I think I'm done with doing things to my car but I'm still looking for a custom 5mm wheel spacer that has a built in centric bore (so no need for hub centric rings). If anyone knows where to get one, I'd love you forever :smile

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
Geoff
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing