Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im going to cut six threads off and drop the knob down as the top threads somehow came in crooked :/

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I didn't even know the shifter had threads. I though we just had the push on type.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It is I had to cut threads in it thats why if you look at the first pic its kinda tilted towards the driverside :ashamed: :mad5:

First you pull the knob off, then cut the plastic peice off the shaft, then thread the shaft. heres a link Adding a shift knob! you dont have to cut the knob off just pull

But the factory knob is so uncomfortable. Im thinking about getting a round knob as this chinese nismo is a little to small 1.5" O.D.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Why not get the authentic Nismo knob, quite expensive but would cover that gap I think.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont like how its square on the end i like a round knob

Im having a knob made on the cnc lathe it will be 4.75" long and 1.75"OD with a full radius on the end and tapering to 1.35 on the base. Ill cut the threads down so the reverse barely clears. Then cover up whats left with heat shrink

It will look like this but the whole thing will be tapered and it wont be as narrow at the base

·
Administrator
5,026 Posts
Dont cut too much. It will interfere with the reverse lever... It can be a pita to get the die to start 100% straight on that knurled crap. I had to keep trying to make the first few threads, took a few times to get the die straight. Did you use any kind of lubricate when you cut the threads? Its important too cause you can rip the threads instead of cutting them without oil/spray/lube on the metal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup I used hard cut hopefully the threads are better further down. I will find out after work today when I cut the threads down. But I can run the die up and down with my fingers I just dont get how the threads are crooked the die looked straight. oh well the only person that will notice is me. And im only taking off like .25" of thread to get to hoprfully better threads.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I cut about .5" off the threads and have it set so the lock barely disengages. Much more happy with this result

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its going twords the front isnt it? Or is than an optical ilusion? Didnt even notice that. It deosnt help the knob has a m12 thread for .75" then the m10 thread the rest of the way. When I get my knob made it will thread on the part thats strait. The part were it was knurled is goofy the botttom part were it wasnt is strait so whateves its less noticeable now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EVERYBODY DONT BUY THIS STYLE OF KNOB!! GARBAGE THE PAINT WEARS OFF IN A WEEK. THE NISMO EMBLEM COMES OFF AND THE THREADS ARE GARBAGE. HORRIBLE CHINESE PRODUCT JDM Blk Nissan GTR R32 33 34 35 Manual Shift Gear Knob w nismo Decal Aluminum | eBay

So I went with old faithful and bought another sickspeed knob. Ive bought three now and there always good solid products there anodized too not painted. I got this one. There 2" round nice and comfy

·
Administrator
5,026 Posts
EVERYBODY DONT BUY THIS STYLE OF KNOB!! GARBAGE THE PAINT WEARS OFF IN A WEEK. THE NISMO EMBLEM COMES OFF AND THE THREADS ARE GARBAGE. HORRIBLE CHINESE PRODUCT JDM Blk Nissan GTR R32 33 34 35 Manual Shift Gear Knob w nismo Decal Aluminum | eBay
Now, we all know that ebay sells knock offs. You can't expect to spend 13.99 on a knob, when a legit one cost 60-70. You can look that this thing and tell its cheap. Its not the sellers fault you bought a ripped off. Buy a genuine nismo knob next time :smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I knew it was a knock off ju8st not how cheap. Besides i dont like the nismo knobs there fugly. lol.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I like aluminum knobs so the leather was out and the aluminum nismo knob is fugly and so are the plastic ones these are the real nismo knobs ive found not a fan of any of them

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I like aluminum knobs so the leather was out and the aluminum nismo knob is fugly and so are the plastic ones these are the real nismo knobs ive found not a fan of any of them
Once you buy one, it will grow on you. I personally like the first and second one. Or if you really want to be a bad azz, get one of the TMW once =)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts