Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got into a little accident tonight on the highway. For those of you who are in Canada or specifically in Ontario it was on the highway 401 going West into Ajax.

I hit a friggin ladder!

Who the hell doesn't tie down their ladders on their trucks before they go driving!?? Well if i find that person wow the things i'd do and say..

But yah a bit of body damage, and hopefully nothing further as I am not even sure what damage was really done.

But my front bumper and drivers side fender are in need of replacement.. Im gonna need a new drivers side fog light cover, new fog lights, oh and the bumper is cracked at the bottom and the under skirts (or whatever they are called) were torn back almost all the way off and some of the plastic is missing.

I'm glad I wasn't hurt. Two other people also hit the ladder, the person who hit it after me swerved and went into a ditch, and the truck after him from what he could see there was no damage even though he did run over the ladder.

I'm just really pissed off that all someone had to do was tie down and FRIGGIN ladder!! but noooooo they are a lazy f***er and ended up causing accidents to 2/3 cars!

here are some pics.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Glad to read you're okay,

I hit a pretty big tree branch last Saturday night, I was doing 30MPH and it was really dark, and I was going up the maintains. I did have time to stop but my sister was following me behind and I didn't want her to rear end me so I just tried to slow down a bit and hit it, then I pulled over to make sure it wasn't still stuck under the car.

Now hitting a ladder onthe highway there's no way to avoid that in the dark because they don't have reflectors or anything. I think you did the right thing to just hit it because sometimes people react and want to avoid it but if they're not careful they can hit another car or go off road and things can go a lot worst.

again, Glad you're okay and hopefully you can get those parts replaced. maybe you can do cosmetic work to the bumper and still save it

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Like they said, glad your still around to tell the story! Is the insurance gonna cover it?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Glad you are ok!

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Sorry to hear. Glad you are okay also! Athikerguy4life: sometimes going thru insurance is just more costly in the end, depends how high his deductible is.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
damn dude that sucks but glad your ok and nobody else was hurt keep us up to date on the repaires.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the car is at a collision center, the drivers side fender and front bumper were already saved from a previous issue when i hit black ice a few years back and went off the road and hit a small tree. So unfortunately I had to go through my insurance, im willing to pay the deductible if they pay for it and don't up my rates.

I did have an issue with my insurance company this morning though. The guy I talked to said that I was at fault because it was a single car accident and as well cause we couldn't put blame on the vehicle who dropped the ladder on the highway. And he gave me some BS example of how its like a person running into a gard rail and messing up the car. OH MAN did i give him an earful! I told him you got to be kidding me!? How can i avoid something like that on the highway? And how could I possibly be at fault for that! And how am I supposed to find out who's ladder it is!? It doesn't have a name on it! And you can't tell me that example is the same as my accident because I wasn't distracted by something or purposely ran into it cause I wanted to, it was something I couldn't avoid! Then I told him i'd cancel the policy if this is what the insurance company is gonna do to me and hung up.

And then I got a call from the collision center my car was at and spoke to the owner about the situation. He gave me some advice which included calling our broker and asking them to mediate between the insurance company and my father/myself. He also spoke to me about a comprehensive claim in which that would put me not at fault for the incident as it was unavoidable.

So then my father who's insurance I am under, called the our insurance broker and settled it. Again like I said above we said we'd pay the deductible if they will fix it and our rates don't go up because of this.

So right now my v is at the collision center, not sure when i'll get her back :(
I'm driving a rental Sentra CVT and it feels really big lol.. being that im so used to the hatch, but oh well i've driven it before as my brother has one.

I'll update you guys on when I get her back! and post pics of her fixed up :)

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Glad you are getting it fixed! Sounds like a crappy insurance company. Who are you with? Would they rather you swerve to avoid it, and then cause a major accident? I am glad I have never had to deal with the insurance company ... except to start up with them. I have never made a claim and hope to never have to ... sounds like a PITA!

Best of luck! Let us know when she is fixed up. At least you still have something to drive in the mean time !

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Economical Mutual Insurance, I'm thinking of switching to State Farm and putting the insurance just under my name and not my fathers as long as its not overly expensive.

And I did swerve, I am lucky only part of my v hit the ladder and not fully went over it and considering im lowered im sure more damage would have been done, plus im sure I would have either ended up being hit by another car or off into a ditch like the 2nd car that tried to avoid the ladder.

Yah I hate dealing with insurance companies, not my favorite thing to do.. but yah im glad i have a rental car or else i'd have to bus it to work.. which i don't find fun anymore lol :p

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Haha ya when you are used to driving everyday, the bus seems un-appealing! haha

I am now with TD Meloche Monnex. I was under Bel-Air when I was insured under my dad's name, but switched to my own this past March. I ended up going with TD because they gave it to me much cheaper since I work for them ...

Is the car registered under your dad's name then? When I was insured under my dad, my Versa was registered to him; otherwise his insurance company would not insure me. We had to do a safety & emissions test in order to transfer the ownership over. We then had to sign some forms to say it was from my dad as a gift, otherwise you will be charged tax on the car's value ... and you have to have that sheet notarized.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my dads name and my name are both on the ownership and insurance, so maybe that will make it easier to transfer over one day? im not sure :S

and lucky you getting a deal with TD :p

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
my dads name and my name are both on the ownership and insurance, so maybe that will make it easier to transfer over one day? im not sure :S

and lucky you getting a deal with TD :p
I guess if you are both on the ownership then it should be fine to transfer over. In my case, it was only my dad who was registered as the owner; and he signed all the paperwork at Nissan. So transferring ownership was a bit more difficult for us ... and a bit more costly, but I knew it would have to be done eventually.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ah thats fucked up! The rain has affected all the roads, coming home from school today, heading eastbound 401, i just got off warden, flashing tow trucks and cop cars from accidents all the way down and it was jammed, took me a good 1.5hrs to get home!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That sucks man. Maybe his ladder rack let go? I know that happened to my boss once on the burlington skyway, but there was no damage to cars. He always ties the ladder down even if its locked in a ladder rack now. I did before anyways.

Sounds like your insurance company sucks... I to am with TD Meloche Monnex as is everyone in my family, and I have never personally had to make a claim. My mother however was in a pretty serious accident and they were awesome to deal with.

My car is in my name and I'm 24 with a clean record and I am paying $100/month.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
danng $100/month? but then again it also depends on where you live. i'll look into TD Meloche Monnex as well in my search for a new insurance company.

And I got word my v should be ready for me by thursday or friday next week :) im excited i dont much like driving the rental Sentra just cause its not "my" car lol.. but i do love the CVT! ;)

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
danng $100/month? but then again it also depends on where you live. i'll look into TD Meloche Monnex as well in my search for a new insurance company.

And I got word my v should be ready for me by thursday or friday next week :) im excited i dont much like driving the rental Sentra just cause its not "my" car lol.. but i do love the CVT! ;)
Insurance is affected greatly by where you live!

The CVT is nice and smooth eh!?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok! Down here in SD run into a lot of crazy ppls and very precarious looking pickups with lots of stuff barely hanging on. Cant wait to see the V back and shipshape!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
so lets just say guys Im NOT happy!

i thought today was the day i get my v back, first the day starts out with the collision center losing my f'in keys! I waited for a good 30 mins or so before they said "oh hey do you have a second set?" in which they drove me to get my second set of keys. And when we got back i hear that the boss of the place took them home with him (but he was at the shop when i got there and got them back), but my question is WHY THE HELL is he taking customers car keys home with him!? NO idea!

Anyways..when i get them and take my car home i decided to check things out (in which I should have checked out in more detail when I was there, but i guess i jumped the gun and just wanted to get home).

So then i find that my led strips in my footwells don't work anymore, my tail lights for night time driving don't turn on and my led license plate bulbs don't turn on either.

FML!!

I call them and they said to bring it back and they'll look at it, as it could just be a fuse. So i take it back right away they check the fuses and they are ok (i took their word for it) they can't find anything wrong.

So they start to blame it on my aftermarket LED fogs and how they were wired (by my friends dad years ago) to the passenger side headlight. Saying how it was not properly done and should have been done differently blah blah blah and how its not their fault. YET! when even before and on the night of the accident my fogs, my led strips in the footwells, tail lights and license plate bulbs were working!!

So they tell me to go to Nissan! I have no other choice because arguing with them was getting me nowhere. I take it into the great guys i've dealt with before at Nissan and they are currently looking at it.

So now im waiting on hearing if my fog lights or the wiring that was done years ago could have caused something to burn out making it my fault, or hear back that its the collision centers fault and they have to pay the bill for my issues.

so im really pissed off and stressed out.. my hair is gonna go greyer than it already is and im only 26 goshdamit >.<

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Not even being at nissan for more than a half hour before I had a call back saying it was a blown fuse that caused my tail lights for night driving and my license plate bulbs to not function. The collision center even told me that if it was a fuse they'd replace it, but i guess not cause maybe they all drink paint they use for the cars in the shop or something.

Called back the collision center, and guess what? THEY WONT REPAY ME the money I spent at Nissan which was $119.38 (flat rate diagnostic fee including a $1.65 fuse!) So my father is going to call back the insurance company after work and speak to them about it and fax over the receipt and hopefully they pay us back, and as i was guessing, wasn't anything to do with ANY of my aftermarket parts.

They couldn't find the other set of fuses that are just off to the side of the battery. Friggin idiots couldn't even look up proper instructions either! They seriously looked so stupid!
Here is a picture in which the service guy at Nissan told me the fuse that was blown is located. In and around here I believe, you can instruct me further if you guys know exactly where its located.

And not to mention they somehow loosened some wires connecting my led footwell lights in which i had to myself try to figure it out and fix it (im not good with electrical work in cars and had someone else set them up for me years ago) and the kicker is they said they'd fix it but they didnt.

But on a happy note here are pics of my v fixed :)

Unfortunately now I have no fog lights, but later on I'll get new ones and fix her up again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts