Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 versa hatchback with the 1.8l engine. on cold start ups I hear a load ticking noise coming engine. I check time he oil every week and sometimes 2 to 3 times a week. well today when I checked the oil I noticed that I was about 1/2 qt low. it has never been low before; I also only drove it maybe 200 miles to school and back. I was hoping someone help me out and tell me what It might be

·
Registered
407 Posts
If no visible leak, then may be burning oil. Check your exhaust for black/grey smoke on acceleration. If nothing, top the oil up again and keep checking to see if the level drops.

Oil either leaks from the engine or into the engine. It's got to go somewhere since it's a sealed environment.

If burning, then take it in to a mechanic to get looked at. Could be some engine seals or other.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Certain piston tolerance groups were bad from the factory, piston slap. MR18 seems to be the most prevalent with this problem. Not sure about the MR20 guys. Some theorize that the bad engines were assembled when it was particularly hot, as they are assembled in México.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine has the same noise but it seams valve related idk im gunna drive it till it blows. Im tired of these dumbass techs saying its just because its mechanical lifters.. whatever

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
tick tick tick boom :D. MR20 time :party:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think I will record the noise that it makes on start up tomorrow and take it to the dealership so the can listen to it
I have a 2009 sedan, and had the same type of noise. Your power train warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles. When the engine is first started up, and the transmission placed into gear, the noise could easily be heard, and as the engine got up to operating temperature, the noise would lessen, but still could be heard. Took it back into the dealer, left it overnight, and did a cold start for the tech early the next morning with the temperature around 23 degrees. Tech heard the noise and diagnosed it as a piston slap, which I already surmised. The problem with a piston slap is that many engines can run for a good many miles, and outside of the noise give good service. In other cases, the piston slap will eventually lead to the engine using more oil, and eventually a total failure. In my case, I was still under warranty, and the dealership replaced the engine with a short block, and all is well.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Remember that motors with timing chains and solid lifters are going to be way more harsh than anything you're used to. It's hard to tell if it's top end normality or something more serious. But if it's a first order noise (every revolution) it could be bottom end. Hard to tell still in these motors. Listening to the motor through a long screwdriver is useful, better yet a mechanics stethoscope. If it's any consolation, i've had a noisy ass top end for a LONG time, 331 000KM and i do hard pulls all the time with very little oil consumption. Which goes back to me saying it's hard to tell sometimes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
yup my old 735I was a chain for cam and oil pump, mechanical rail rockers, old bosche type 3 injectors. That thing you poped the hood and all you heard was ticking. Its normal i think it has more to do with the crappy sound deadening on the versa because you pop the hood and listen it sounds normal a little clattery but nothing out of the ordinary. I think the sound deadening only gets the low frequencies thats why you can hear every tick and rattle. I can even hear the synchros and idle gears in the transmission so you know the sound deadening is minimal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.