Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ideally I would want to delete that from the car itself if it's possible. (fuse, computer chip, etc.)

I am planning on doing my own tire changing on the next tire replacement. I can balance myself but I'll take it to a shop for alignment until I learn how and what I need to do that.

The only thing I'm missing is the TPMS tools. I know it's not really something I'll be messing with since it is on the actual wheel and I'm just going to carefully switch out the tire.
I heard about re-learning the sensors. Also about waking them from a sleep mode. A few tools that are needed to program. But I'm still lost.

What do I need to know about TPMS?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Federally mandated, they should require it working at every inspection center in the country unless you are in one of the rare states that has no inspection.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Probably your only hope is to someway somehow get a canadian Versa. In canada they have not made TPMS a legal requirement and Nissan, being cheap as they are, didn't put them in up there to save a buck. Not sure what the legality is of importing a car from canada though you could have some issues there. Another option might be to find a canadian ECU that is from a model that matches your car exactly (year, transmission, options, etc) and *maybe* if you could swap in that ECU you'd be alright. It would be an experiment.

Since they sold some without TPMS we know there is probably a setting for it but there is no way Nissan is going to release the trade secrets of programming their ECUs so thats a dead end.

A fringe potential I had looked into for myself was programming a microcontroller with 315MHz transceiver and sniff out the codes from my stock sensors, then spoof them back to the car after the sensors are gone and thrown away. This would be some pretty advanced stuff though in mostly uncharted territory, it looked daunting to me and I am already a professional programmer with microcontroller experience. Not a beginner's project. So unless you happen to be an electrical engineering student looking for your senior project, this option is probably out also.

Realistically, getting ahold of a Canadian ECU is probably the best bet but no way of knowing if it will just drop in and work, would be a gamble and you'd want to verify first that they still don't use TPMS on the canadian versas.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Myself, I'm working out how to simply yank all the sensors to throw them into a container maybe made of PVC pipe and then air it up as a small airtank to pressure them to switch on and simply throw that small tank into trunk......relying on inspectors to see the light still working right and not realize the tires no longer have the sensors in the stems. They are kinda dense and it should work. I tend to bring in wheels to get tires changed so no car for the tire guys to gripe about either.

I have no issues with the system but the tire guys around here break them on purpose to charge you for more and it's bullsh-t.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I tried pulling the tpms fuse in my honda but still got a tpms error. :frown Just go to a firestone dealer it cost me 25 bucks for them to figure it out. I purchased used sensors online had 2 dead.

Myself, I'm working out how to simply yank all the sensors to throw them into a container maybe made of PVC pipe and then air it up as a small airtank to pressure them to switch on and simply throw that small tank into trunk
On my honda they used a centrifugal mech that turned them on when you traveled faster than 25 mph. Otherwise if they did not generate a signal you also got an error.

Others have an external sensor for psi so you need to drill holes and mount them to the tube with the end sticking out.

From my honda I learned if a sensor was bad you got a tmps error. If a tire was low on air you got a low tire error.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Not the ones I've seen and even if there is a centrifugal switch that should be easy enough to find and short inside the sensor. I suspect not as mine gives the light once tire goes down enough and car hasn't been driven at all, it shows as soon as the key turns on before you even move. To not do so is less safe, you would have to drive on the flat before it even sensed it, that's lawsuit material.

Sensor will give error if the system cannot find it (defective RF or sensor new and not reflashed for), that is different from a pressure error and so far I have not seen or found an outside pressure reference needed to compare inside with but if I have to drill 5 holes instead of 1 to get reference that is no issue either. That will bear out in my testing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just figured it out what the correct tire pressure should be to reprogram your tpms with no professional tool.
driver front 36 PSI
passenger front 33 PSI
passenger rear 30 psi
driver rear 27 psi.
then locate the plug that has one wire connecting to it, it is taped up next to the ODBII reader place a paperclip into that pin turn the ignition on engine off pretty much the last click before you start the car then ground the other end of the paper clip six times and your TPMS light will start the flash next step is to completely turn the key and start the car then drive for about 2 to 10 minutes normal driving and this will reset the light and then it will come on because you have incorrect tire pressure and then you could properly fill to the correct psi

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Get a sticker and put it over the light.

There's not much to them. I took my oem wheels off for years at a time, and dealt with the tpms light on. Once I put the wheels back on, it turns off without any resetting or any extra work. I had them later pulled out of the oem wheels and put onto different wheels, where it was the same result. They simply just started working again on their own.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oh my children :smilejap:

Lets see here...

amc49 said:
I'm working out how to simply yank all the sensors to throw them into a container maybe made of PVC pipe and then air it up as a small airtank to pressure them to switch on and simply throw that small tank into trunk
That worked with gen 1 TPMS sensors years ago but as cobb said:

Cobb said:
they used a centrifugal mech that turned them on when you traveled faster than 25 mph. Otherwise if they did not generate a signal you also got an error.
Which is true of most all sensors now because of the great battery life extension that gives. You may think:

amc49 said:
if there is a centrifugal switch that should be easy enough to find and short inside the sensor.
Good luck with that, because they fill the body of the sensor with epoxy resin which makes it virtually impossible to dissemble or modify without wrecking it. You can easily find pictures online.

As for this idea:

sergmx said:
Get a sticker and put it over the light.
For starters one does not simply put a sticker over it you have to pull your cluster and remove the clear plastic face to get to it which is no small task, and risk breaking something as others have done in the past while trying to change the color of the backlighting of the gauges. Also not only will you have the light I'm sure the LCD display is also going to flash and beep crap at you daily about TPMS issues (haven't tried it though, might not happen).

Second and here again I don't have personal experience with the Versa on this but in other cars some feature will be disabled if TPMS is in an error state. Could be things such as;
1) Will not let you turn off traction control -> pain if you are stuck in mud or snow
2) Cruise control may be disabled
3) Steering wheel audio controls may be disabled

These are all maybies as each manufacture is a bit different but these are the things I have run into that they do to you to make it uncomfortable enough to get you to bring in your car for service and not ignore the lights/warnings.

------------------------------------------------------

Hope those nuggets of information help, friends. Don't worry you won't have to put up with me for much longer on this forum, I have yet to compose my official farewell post but I traded off my Versa (yes, after less than a year of ownership :rolleyes5: ). I'll tell you all about how it came to be in the farewell post when I get around to it, and then you'll not have to deal with my know-it-all :ciappa: anymore.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thinking mine may not have centrifugal anything in it, at least the Versa, it's an '11 and it will have no tpms light then you come out and crank it without moving the car and it's on. I'll be watching that closer to make sure I didn't imagine it. Been twice though, I have a slow leak in one tire.

Epoxy in the way? Maybe, maybe not, I HAVE removed it before on other things people said I couldn't on. MY '17 will likely be that way. I may have to ruin one sensor to then discover where the trick point inside is to work with, make that one a junkyard sensor to save reflashing.

We'll see, it's like 40-eleven hundred other things I'm not supposed to be able to do on cars that I do all day long. Most parts are sealed now, most of the time that doesn't stop me.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I find for me they are useless. I use tire psi vs door sil psi and ten-20 psi low on 1 tire makes a big difference when taking a corner even if its above the tpms level to trigger a fault.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a winter set of wheels/tires that DO NOT have TPMS. The light will blink for 30 seconds and will stay on steady after for the rest of the drive. I've learned to live with it during the winter months. No harm-no foul. As someone said, a black tape over the light will work too.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
You need the part number to look for "used" ones online. Thats what I did for my honda. I used an online store to find the part number, then googled it and found someone who harvest them from junkyards and resells them. Of course once you get them mounted into your wheels you need to get them programmed to your car. Firestone charged me 25 bucks to do that.

For my honda they prevent you from turning trac control off. When it comes to snow and ice sometimes you need to dig, other times you need to be careful and not spin to get going. Sand for sure you need to slip and dig to get around in that stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing