Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...my '09 (purchased in July 2008) Versa steering wheel rubber, is, well, spongy (in feel, not in use).

I want to replace it, but cannot find the exact part (48430-EM36C) that goes with the VIN number.

I can find the next version of the same year's production model (48430-ZW46C). No dealer parts counter will tell me if this is "OK." I've seen online that the steering column is identical for 07-11 production years.

Am I overthinking this, or will I be ok if I use the latter model steering wheel? Both have just the cruise control controls--and I plan on "reusing" the car's original controls (not the one that comes with the "new" wheel).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
538 Posts
they are all replaceable.
Try to look at your local junkyards or pull-a-part pull and pay etc, you might get lucky and find the leather version!

I did and I swapped my rubber one with the leather one.

Do not completely remove the retaining nut before you pull the wheel, of you might damage the connectors. Just loosen it up a bit and the pull.
And be careful when you remove the airbag, disconnect battery and don't use a screwdriver to pry the retaining clips!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are all replaceable.
Try to look at your local junkyards or pull-a-part pull and pay etc, you might get lucky and find the leather version!

I did and I swapped my rubber one with the leather one.

Do not completely remove the retaining nut before you pull the wheel, of you might damage the connectors. Just loosen it up a bit and the pull.
And be careful when you remove the airbag, disconnect battery and don't use a screwdriver to pry the retaining clips!
That's part of the problem...I live in a bit of a junk yard desert, and it's 90 minutes to the nearest yard of consequence. I saw a leather one online for sale, but it looks like it is now gone, but the knowledge that they will work is helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Look on www.car-part.com for a wheel if you don't have a pick-a-part nearby.
The leather wheels are found on the SL variants.

This is the leather SL wheel. No longer on my car.
Car Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Steering part

This is the Altima wheel I currently have on the car
Vehicle Car Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle

When swapping the switches, the plastic part on the back of the wheel comes off to expose the screws holding the switches, and blanking plate on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look on www.car-part.com for a wheel if you don't have a pick-a-part nearby.
The leather wheels are found on the SL variants.

This is the leather SL wheel. No longer on my car.
View attachment 18784

This is the Altima wheel I currently have on the car
View attachment 18785

When swapping the switches, the plastic part on the back of the wheel comes off to expose the screws holding the switches, and blanking plate on.
I don't really want to swap out the airbag...so I have to reuse the one that came with mine. Will the standard "rubber" wheel airbag fit the "leather" wheel?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I saw a video online about getting the wheel off, but they couldn't show how to get the airbag back on (they had difficulty). Also, if I disconnect the battery, will I get the airbag code or not?
Disconnect the battery for at least 5 minutes so that:
1-You don't get an accidental airbag deployment
2-You don't get an airbag code.

My guess for the difficulty or reinstallation is they didn't use enough force to seat the airbag.

Also, if you could choose between a used leather and a new OEM, which would you choose?
I personally prefer the leather wheel. Much better looking and doesn't break down like the foam rubber wheel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess the other problem is that because I'm reliant on shipping, it looks like it will cost me $180 either way (new OEM rubber/used leather). With the new OEM, though, they will take returns...in 30 days. But I'm growing confident that either one will work--and while I have pulled steering wheels before, I've never done one with an airbag. I do have the new one (they were recalled, so I got the replacement).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess the other problem is that because I'm reliant on shipping, it looks like it will cost me $180 either way (new OEM rubber/used leather). With the new OEM, though, they will take returns...in 30 days. But I'm growing confident that either one will work--and while I have pulled steering wheels before, I've never done one with an airbag. I do have the new one (they were recalled, so I got the replacement).
One is $129 plus $51 shipping; the other is $179 (free shipping). Go figure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you look at www.car-part.com, you will find leather wheels as low as $50, foam rubber as low as $35.
You can use any wheel from 2007-2011 and 2012 hatchback.
I saw that...but the quality I saw there wasn't that good (my '09 has 93K, and I'm giving it to my kid as pretty as I can make it).

I also need to replace the front headlights (ideally, I'd love to find the proper turn signal to add factory fog lights, but I'm not sure I will find that part easily). New hubcaps as well (the factory ones were never very good--the plastic would break if you took them off incorrectly, and when I do that I need to clean up and paint the wheels). Eventually, new tires (with new tire sensors), and it will be "almost" new.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would look into a leather one at car-part, some of these junkyard also do shipping if you ask them. Some on them do have a website.

If you can't find anything at all I do have my old rubber one in a very good shape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would look into a leather one at car-part, some of these junkyard also do shipping if you ask them. Some on them do have a website.

If you can't find anything at all I do have my old rubber one in a very good shape.
I called one--they said it was still in the car. I don't like/trust LKQ at all (unless I'm in their yard holding the part in my hand).
Can you send some pics of your old one? I really want to make this "nice" for the kid...

·
Registered
805 Posts
I called one--they said it was still in the car. I don't like/trust LKQ at all (unless I'm in their yard holding the part in my hand).
Can you send some pics of your old one? I really want to make this "nice" for the kid...
That is why you use Car-Part! They are NOT LKQ. Most have pictures so you can see what you are getting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts