Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Versa, for the most part.

I understand it's an econobox, hence the unrefined engine, poor fit and finish, and rattles.

But this can be rectified as an entry level Infiniti. Leather seats, LEDs front and back, give it some EX-style headlights, illuminated kickplates, and premium Bose stereo system. Tighten up the sloppy handling, more soundproofing.

Price it around 19K to start (right where Mini starts) and I think they'd have a winner.

What y'all think?

Anyone wanna try to Photoshop this?

Hehe.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Im not good with Photoshop but that would be nice. No base model, and more luxury look...different headlights/tailights, bigger wheels, more chrome. :)

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Versa is somewhat like a mini Mazda3 hatch, eh i still think the mazdaspeed3 are wicked.

It's like Honda turning the Fit into a luxury or the Chevy Aveo into luxury as well.
I personally don't see too many similarities between the Versa and the M3.

I love the previous generation M3's. They are beautiful, but a MS3 here can cost you quite a bit (used ones are still hovering at $30K). I just can't stand the smiley face :S Not my cup of tea. I guess if you buy the car in black, it's not as noticeable.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I personally don't see too many similarities between the Versa and the M3.

I love the previous generation M3's. They are beautiful, but a MS3 here can cost you quite a bit (used ones are still hovering at $30K). I just can't stand the smiley face :S Not my cup of tea. I guess if you buy the car in black, it's not as noticeable.
I haven't seen any Mazdaspeed3 at 30k, 20k around where i live. Now it's i prefer a mazdaspeed3 becomes it comes with stock turbo and like 263 hp i could be wrong but i'm guessing off the top of my head what i think i remembered. I would still be satisfied with the M3 hatch.
What i think John described was a Mazda3 hatch to me, and the price range he described as well is the price range for Mazda3 hatch's start off with 19k or so and then go up from there based on packages like Grand Touring or going Mazdaspeed3.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I haven't seen any Mazdaspeed3 at 30k, 20k around where i live. Now it's i prefer a mazdaspeed3 becomes it comes with stock turbo and like 263 hp i could be wrong but i'm guessing off the top of my head what i think i remembered. I would still be satisfied with the M3 hatch.
What i think John described was a Mazda3 hatch to me, and the price range he described as well is the price range for Mazda3 hatch's start off with 19k or so and then go up from there based on packages like Grand Touring or going Mazdaspeed3.
Don't forget, I live up in Canada.
Car prices are much higher here.

A Versa here (SL Hatch w/ CVT) starts at 18K ... You can just imagine how much an MS3 would cost.
My dream car (a new Bug convertible) starts at $30 K (before taxes and dealer fees) ... Hopefully I'll be able to get a used one off a lease in a few years.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
A Versa based Infiniti? You're on some messed up drugs. It will never EVER happen. Infiniti is already grabbing big cash with their current lineup. Adding an entry level car would be like ruining the team. Thanks for the good laugh though :)

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A Versa based Infiniti? You're on some messed up drugs. It will never EVER happen. Infiniti is already grabbing big cash with their current lineup. Adding an entry level car would be like ruining the team. Thanks for the good laugh though :)
People said that the first Rav 4 was a joke because the idea of a car-based SUV was silly. Look where the crossover market is now.

Mercedes-Benz and BMW are both considering entry level compacts for the U.S. market. MB is considering selling the next generation B-class here while BMW is mulling plans for entry level, sub-1 Series FWD compacts for North America.

Lexus has a compact hybrid hatchback coming out for the European market.

It's an untapped market with only Mini occupying the segment. With the general trend moving toward smaller cars, it's certainly a very real possibility.

All it takes is one of the big players to take the step and have success. It's a shame that Audi didn't have enough faith in the New A1.

The market dictates whether we'll see an truly entry level Infiniti, not fan bois who believe such a product would ruin "the team".

Thanks for playing.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I'm going to say this is not a good idea. It didn't work when infiniti had the g20. That was a small economy style car in the inifiniti lineup. Everyone just called the g20 a sentra with leather. In reality it was based on the race proven nissan primera. It had superior suspension and the sr20de engine.

Now if nissan couldn't make it work with a car who's suspension that is still top of the line, and way more capable engine there is no way it's going to work with MR18 and a suspension we have.

Infiniti does have the economy car coming to the lineup sort of. Actually there is two of them. There will be and EV based on the Leaf platform, which I guess you can say similar to the Versa but it will be electric. Then there is the G25 which is the same as the G37 except it will have a 2.5liter VQ engine in it. That is a V6 not a four cylinder. Don't ever expect a sub $20k infiniti as it will hurt their brand image the worked so hard for.

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I wouldn't expect them to use the current Versa platform. Perhaps the next gen.

Audi A1 is based on the new VW Polo. It's all about execution.

The G20 was a staid-looking sedan, and came out when Infiniti was still an afterthought to the BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Acura. It wasn't until the G35 and then the FX that Infiniti became one of the Big Dogs in the luxury field.

Times are different now. Small cars are no longer automatic penalty boxes. Infiniti has a lot more brand prestige now than it did when the G20 came out.

Also, the Aston Martin Cygnet costs 30K and is a rebadged, and heavily reworked Toyota IQ... it hasn't hurt Aston's brand image in the least. And Aston is in the Ultra Lux field of automobiles. Perhaps it's a case of $9.99 vs. $10.00. The latter certainly seems a lot more expensive, despite a difference of a single penny. So fine, start the entry level Infiniti at 20K, instead of 19K.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Very good points. The only issue with the G20 was lack of power. Everyone else had turbo or a V6 in that class. The g20 was praised for it's handling but the since it didn't have enough ponies it was forgotten about.

If infiniti can make a car similar to the a3 I would be interested in it. But I still don't see any infiniti being all that inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
BMW 1 series, Audi A1, VW Polo, Aston Cygnet, Toyota iQ, etc. are built for the manufacturer's to comply to the new strict emissions rule by the EU, by 2012. They just have to build them to make them more environmentally friendly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Infiniti

By the way I'm just an entry level in Photoshop CS5 Extended that's why I can't do your request. At first, I consider it crazy but a Versa Based Infiniti makes sense. Hope that Nissan will combine this two model. If it was me I'll name it Infinite Versa.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Now that the Juke is out I see this idea very plausible. The juke is on the Versa platform, but can be had with V-AWD and an independent rear suspension. That is definitely terms I can associate with infiniti. Also it has a direct injection, variable cam timing, and a turbo. Again alot of good stuff here.

So give me an infiniti based on the V platform I say! But make sure it has the goods.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I lust after the G25 cuz it's RWD [but where is the stick???!!!]
I don't care if it's a Nissan with different badge.
Lotsa people pay for Infiniti/Acura/Lexus cachet, but I can get a pretty nice Maxima or high spec Altima too.
So Versa-based Infiniti? No thanks. Just a G25/Skyline 250 with stick please:D

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I lust after the G25 cuz it's RWD [but where is the stick???!!!]
I don't care if it's a Nissan with different badge.
Lotsa people pay for Infiniti/Acura/Lexus cachet, but I can get a pretty nice Maxima or high spec Altima too.
So Versa-based Infiniti? No thanks. Just a G25/Skyline 250 with stick please:D

it would be the same as if
Lexus had a Yaris-based Lexus
Acura had a Fit-based Acura
or Cadillac had an Aveo-based Cadillac

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.