Nissan Versa Forums banner

I'm about to change Spark Plugs soon, hearing and read so many horror stories, should I let the dealer do it?

8K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  venusinfurs 
#1 ·
Hi guys, my 1.8HB reach about 95K miles. I have no knowledge if the previous owner replaced the plugs. I have done numerous spark plugs on various Nissan without issue...simple and easy.
I just bought the manifold gasket, TB gasket and Valve cover gasket new and waiting to install, but with some hesitation. I have hold off on getting spark plugs. There are NGK and Denso, or God Knows what the dealer sells. I may have just to fork up $18/piece at the dealer if this does not cause any issue.

After reading about " car won't start" or "idle goofy" after new plugs put in, this leave some skepticism on my part.

Has any one replaced them with issue(s) despite putting everything back together correctly?

Can some one already done the plugs chime in what I need to do in case the car wont start?

#3 ·
I really haven't heard of any horror stories. I'd leave the throttle body right on the intake. Just remove and plug or pinch off the coolant lines to it and the electrical connector to the TB. Shouldn't have to mess with any idle relearn, etc with it that way.

Most people do the job w/out even replacing the IM gaskets. Basically inspect and reuse. Best to replace them of course.

#6 ·
Some jobs are just a real pain in the rear, and are best left to the dealer. I know they charge top dollar, but I am no longer physically able to work on cars like I once did. I can still do the job, but the pain afterwords lasts for days Its like doing mufflers and exhaust systems..............a REAL PAIN IN THE BUTT, and in a number of cases you end up with a piece of rust in your eyes and your body is bent out of shape for days on end if you don't have a lift available and your working on your back!!!

#13 ·
Call up the dealer and they wanted $1100 for just change out the plugs
I doubt they wanted that amount just for the plugs. Probably they quoted you the maintenance package that includes the plugs change.

Do you have only one Nissan dealer around? At any rate, just look at dealers web sites. Many dealers post online their prices for maintenance packages for certain mileages, and for stand-alone jobs.

#16 ·
do you have a small torque wrench? the biggest challenge with this job is that you can easily strip the bolts on the aluminum block. How do I know? I stripped one not on the spark plug, but on the air intake. In my case I had the proper tools, but the bolt went in wrong, and once I noticed it was too late.

It's an easy job since you don't need to lift up the car and deal with rusty parts, but need to be super careful as it's easy to damage stuff.

#17 ·
Hi guys, my 1.8HB reach about 95K miles. I have no knowledge if the previous owner replaced the plugs. I have done numerous spark plugs on various Nissan without issue...simple and easy.
I just bought the manifold gasket, TB gasket and Valve cover gasket new and waiting to install, but with some hesitation. I have hold off on getting spark plugs. There are NGK and Denso, or God Knows what the dealer sells. I may have just to fork up $18/piece at the dealer if this does not cause any issue.

After reading about " car won't start" or "idle goofy" after new plugs put in, this leave some skepticism on my part.

Has any one replaced them with issue(s) despite putting everything back together correctly?

Can some one already done the plugs chime in what I need to do in case the car wont start?
Were you having trouble with gasket leaks? If not, why change. For spark plugs get Japanese "whatever" Iridium-pricey, but worth it-it's standard factory. Pulling the plastic cover, ets. and disconnecting some tubes-just leave them close to where they will be reinstalled-number or letter the connections if you want. MOST IMPORTANT Get a magnetized socket for the sparkplug removal! Ifyou have changed plugs before,you know :the rest of the drill.

#19 ·
That quote is way off. The plugs are expensive, and there is maybe a couple hours of labor, but it's not that high. Try somewhere else if you don't want to do it yourself. I made a video of me doing it around here somewhere. Just get any plugs that are designed to fit your car. It doesn't make a bit of difference.