Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2011 Versa from a dealership about a month and a half ago. Two weeks into have the car, the engine wouldn't turn over. They towed it to a Nissan servicer and I was told the keys needed to be reprogrammed. Got the car back a few days later and the same issue happened. The reprogrammed the keys again and kept the car a little longer testing it out to make sure it started. After a week I got the car back, drove it for a week and the same issue occurred. This time the told me they would replace the nats antenna. They ordered the part, replaced it and tested the car to make sure that it would start. The car was delivered today and when I went to start it to move it from where the tow truck left it, big surprise, the car wouldn't start. They took the car back and said they were opening a claim with Nissan to try to figure out what's going on. When I bought the car I was told it was like new. Even though it was 2011 it only had 18K miles. I checked the carfax, no accidents, no recalls, nothing like this mentioned. I've been googling but can't seem to find anything. What could possibly be the issue here? What questions should I be asking?

·
Registered
515 Posts
symptoms indicate a NATS malfunction but the antenna might no be the culprit.
With our cars that are run-by-wire even a single ground wire could be an issue...if the car was not stored properly you might have a rodent chewing something etc etc
Anyway, first thing I would ask is what CODES they get when they run diagnostic.
You might have a BCM that is malfunctioning (bcm controls all these accessories), or even the ECM might have an issue.
The code should give you a lead. Does it go in LOCK mode?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the paperwork it looks like they got P1610 and P1611. The tech just told me that when they tried to reprogram the keys (I have 4), 3 were fine but the one that was on the keychain next to the transponder didn't work properly. This was the same key that was used the last time I had the car and drove it for a week. A few tries ago the car didn't start in lock but i didn't try this time.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Get rid of the bad key and try this

ESCAPE FROM LOCK MODE
  1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
  2. Turn ignition switch ON with registered key. (Do not start engine.) Wait 5 seconds.
  3. Return the key to OFF position.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 twice (total of three cycles).
  5. Start the engine.

·
Registered
515 Posts
From the paperwork it looks like they got P1610 and P1611. The tech just told me that when they tried to reprogram the keys (I have 4), 3 were fine but the one that was on the keychain next to the transponder didn't work properly. This was the same key that was used the last time I had the car and drove it for a week. A few tries ago the car didn't start in lock but i didn't try this time.
yes, you def have a bad key because you went into LOCK MODE.
If the chip does not communicate with the Immobilizer you will be locked out after a few attempts.
Ged rid of that key, get out of lock mode and you should be ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.