Nissan Versa Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm considering getting an aftermarket cruise control installed on a 2008 Versa S with manual transmission. What sort of "pro shops" should I call to see if they would install something like this? I was hoping the Rostra website listed approved installers, but I didn't see anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Most alarm or pimp my ride type stores that do tint, radios, alarms will do cruise controls. Not sure about best buy. I think they got out of the install and just sell the stuff for diyers.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My view and my view only so please recognize that................

I would not add cruise to ANYTHING, aftermarket even worse. They have to get into so many systems now and those systems can be compromised by crap work. While a few OEM setups can easily bolt right in, most (aftermarket commonly much worse) require enough butchery getting into the electrics that you can have faults all over the place in the future.

Like alarm or remote starting systems that cause so many techs super problems nowadays, the systems are so integrated you are screwing up by breaking into them.

Get it on the car new or don't mess with it later I say. And I know how to put them on cars. Good way to screw up a nice dependable car.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I know best buy isnt know for quality on any installs, but cruse controls are rather easy and the new ones are PNP when the car has drive by wire. Im going to get one, but 300 bucks is a bit much to swallow right now.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The throttle is only one small part of cruise, it has to tie into clutch, brake, and speed sensor circuits and that's only the start. Has to meet with the PCM in a nice way too or the two will be fighting. Now, if the setup can pull all of that out of the PCM that would be fine but myself I know of none that can work that close and direct with PCM except maybe an OEM setup intended for such.

I'm old and could be well out of the loop though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know best buy isnt know for quality on any installs, but cruse controls are rather easy and the new ones are PNP when the car has drive by wire. Im going to get one, but 300 bucks is a bit much to swallow right now.
I just don't think I can bring myself to jam yet another third party black box and ball of spaghetti wires under there. I did the remote start + alarm and that was bad enough, I did my best to make things neat and tidy and labeled under there. I'd really really like to have cruise control but then I'd be adding another box, wiring harness that puts the box BETWEEN the throttle pedal and the car, more taps into the clutch and brake switches, a tap onto OBDII wires for VSS... ugh. The dealership techs would hate me so much. I only drive 10 miles to work and back, and maybe one trip a week 15 miles to the big box stores... I can survive without cruise.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Ive added cruise control to 2 scions Ive owned a 81 mercedes 240d that needed repair.

No big deal.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Over on the Focus website we've found it very easy to get cars back right by just yanking stuff like that, most installs are NOT competent. The problems from self-installs are just endless and most of the problem is the guy in the mirror but no way do they want to hear that.................

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I got the rostra cruise control kit. For an automatic of cvt you just run power, buttons and passthrough for the throttle. For us stick shifters you got to hook up the clutch and brake once you test the connectors to find what they want. No pass through connectors for that, just the throttle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First of all, thank you very much for your attention.
Besides installing the buttons on the steering wheel and updating a car computer,
There are other things to do,
So what are they?
By the way, my car has an automatic transmission.

At the moment this seems to be my steering wheel.
20180415_082410.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
First of all, thank you very much for your attention.
Besides installing the buttons on the steering wheel and updating a car computer,
There are other things to do,
So what are they?
By the way, my car has an automatic transmission.

At the moment this seems to be my steering wheel.
View attachment 13873
At least you need a break pedal switch, to disengage the cruise with you hit the breaks.

If your car comes prewired I'm not sure if you have to make some other connections.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got the rostra cruise control kit. For an automatic of cvt you just run power, buttons and passthrough for the throttle. For us stick shifters you got to hook up the clutch and brake once you test the connectors to find what they want. No pass through connectors for that, just the throttle.

what if we want to to go OEM?

I have a 2012 Versa S HB (prewired I guess, I have the wires for fogs etc).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Regarding the decomposition of the wheel, I can see here:
www.nissanversaforums.com/how-tos/2679-how-remove-1st-gen-versa-steering-wheel.html

Where can I know how to connect the wiring?
He replaced the whole steering wheel and then swapped one switch.

the plastic covers are held to the wheel with 2 screws each. Under the covers you should have the connectors if you car came prewired
After this connections I'm not sure if you have to connect something more somewhere else....but I'm just guessing now because I want to do the same thing (adding cruise) and I'm trying to put the pieces together before I proceed...

I hope Cobb knows more :frown

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Wished I did, I too am trying to figure the other guy out. Guess his car was prewired and all he needed was the switch?

Some cars its like that like the Tacoma alarm upgrade was just a glass sensor, indicator and keyfob. The alarm and everything was already in the vehicle they just charged you a few hundred for the sensor and keyfob.

Looking at the rostra site, videos and instructions the V does not need a wire for brake if its an automatic or cvt, just us stick shifters. My scion I did not look up the clutch, but did the brake. I normally tap the brake and coast to a stop vs down shift.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wished I did, I too am trying to figure the other guy out. Guess his car was prewired and all he needed was the switch?

Some cars its like that like the Tacoma alarm upgrade was just a glass sensor, indicator and keyfob. The alarm and everything was already in the vehicle they just charged you a few hundred for the sensor and keyfob.

Looking at the rostra site, videos and instructions the V does not need a wire for brake if its an automatic or cvt, just us stick shifters. My scion I did not look up the clutch, but did the brake. I normally tap the brake and coast to a stop vs down shift.
The guy that swapped the steering wheel already had Cruise on his car, he actually only wired the cables for the audio buttons because his older steering didn't have them.

Under the steering wheel there should be the CC connector, and the audio buttons should be attached to clock spring...as fa as I know. That's the basic connections needed.

In this thread there is another guy trying to get CC that mentioned the brake pedal switch, that's why I'm considering that too. He has my same model.

I'll do some research today..if the car comes prewired it will be much easier, otherwise I think it's better to go with the rostra.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Ok.

So....I need some clarifications :)

This picture if from another "How To" where Versa S 2009 says that you have this wiring if your car has cruise. His car had it from factory.

Mine obviously doesn't have it but I checked that harness and I have the exact same wiring with the three empty spots...so I would say that the wiring should match for Cruise Control.

Now, today I went to a bodyshop where they will look into adding cruise and Friday I'll be back to hear from them. They mentioned that I may need a vacuum to the throttle to make CC works.....but Versa is drive-by-wire, right?

Cobb, you added the rostra kit and I think you don't have any vacuum for the Cruise...you just had to wire the throttle because your car didn't come prewired?

Because if mine is I should be able to add the switched and reprogram the EOM...

what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
according to the Nissan dealer if you want to do factory you need to insert the switches or get a new steering wheel, replace the clock spring, EOM (it can't be reflashed, apparently) and something else.

If this is true, going aftermarket is way better....tomorrow I'm getting a second opinion..

41 - 60 of 77 Posts