Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have installed many radios and I am getting ready to install one in my daughter 2007 Versa. Question for you : I have two black ground wires,One on the radio harness and one on the new adapter harness. I plan on grounding them separately SOME PLACE. I did see a video where a man suggested to the back where that little storage area is above the radio. In the video this man only grounded ONE wire. What is you take on that? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Im preparing to install an aftermarket radio and I too was made aware that you need to supply a ground as they did not use one or something like that. :surprise

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes Nissan does not ground their radios in the harness. Their radios ground when they are mounted in the car through their chassis. Aftermarket radios will not work this way since they are usually mounted in a plastic dash kit. So you have to make your own ground.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you. I know I have to ground for sure and yes it's all plastic. I guess I have to ground two black wires since I have two open ones. If I can't find a spot for one I guess I can buy more wire and pass it down below the dash. One according to the video can be found where that upper compartment is inside the dash. Nice to have so much plastic. HAHAHAHA I was searching on Crutchfield and they said IF you have the metal brackets that attach to the radio like the one you have from the old radio (Even if there is plastic on the other side) you can attach the ground wire to that. But that looks like a double DIN radio and I don't have that. Plus I have the plastic brackets. I don't see a way to convert that metal bracket to mine. If I could then I would attach one ground to that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im preparing to install an aftermarket radio and I too was made aware that you need to supply a ground as they did not use one or something like that. :surprise
Well I have two grounds. Lol And alot of plastic. Lol I said in another comment what my plan is and we'll see.
THEN I read last night the blue wire in the antenna adapter is a ground too. HAHAHAHA Someone told me to hook it to the blue/white wire. I hope they're right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always use the blue antenna wire to remote assuming its an amplified antenna. :surprise
That's what I did. Thanks for saying you did that also. I have done LOTS of searches on this subject
and found that's what someone others have done. So I guess I will connect both ground wires separately somewhere. I will buy a foot of wire for one of the ground wires because I have a feeling I am going to have to route it somewhere
away from the radio area. Lol Unless someone has an easier way.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You can ground both wires at same place, and be SURE they are grounds. While commonly so they do NOT have to be; some odd makers use black wires on other things. Easy to think wire is all black too if it is black with a dark blue tracer, the blue merges right into that black in the dimmer light of a radio hole. The plastic of the dashes commonly attaches to a metal matrix support deeper in the dash structure, sometimes you can get to part of it at the glove box, I use that on Fords as no tools are required to drop those boxes down to expose a big hole you can get hands and a drill into to drill a ground screw hole into that frame, it often runs right beside the glove box area. That frame also common to run behind the radio too.

Some radios actually call out for the radio outer case to ground as well as one of the wire leads, extra grounding never hurt anything.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sue Kretock said:
I read last night the blue wire in the antenna adapter is a ground too.
Not likely... I smell blown fuses in your future lol

The metal arms that the four bolts of the stock radio go into are perfectly good grounds. That is probably where your plastic radio adapter is bolting to I'm guessing? Should still be able to go an eyelet connector there no reason to looking for ground deeper in the dash. No reason to ground your two ground wires separately either, just making more work for yourself.

I still don't understand how you end up with two ground wires, but we don't have any pictures of your setup or anything so who knows. Go slowly and carefully and I'm sure you will get it figured out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You can ground both wires at same place, and be SURE they are grounds. While commonly so they do NOT have to be; some odd makers use black wires on other things. Easy to think wire is all black too if it is black with a dark blue tracer, the blue merges right into that black in the dimmer light of a radio hole. The plastic of the dashes commonly attaches to a metal matrix support deeper in the dash structure, sometimes you can get to part of it at the glove box, I use that on Fords as no tools are required to drop those boxes down to expose a big hole you can get hands and a drill into to drill a ground screw hole into that frame, it often runs right beside the glove box area. That frame also common to run behind the radio too.

Some radios actually call out for the radio outer case to ground as well as one of the wire leads, extra grounding never hurt anything.
Thanks so much. I get what you mean. I do remember a ground being brown on some older stuff. Thanks for bringing up about the black with a dark blue tracer. I seem to remember that now when I used make harness's etc. at my former job. Right, The plastic has to be attached to metal some place. ;) Oh ya I know my Ford Mustang has plenty of grounding areas and it was no problem. I'm sure I'll find something with the Versa. Thanks so much for replying. I wish that picture would work. I have one ground coming out of the pioneer harness and one ground coming out of the new adapter harness. They are not attached to anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The metal arms that the four bolts of the stock radio go into are perfectly good grounds. That is probably where your plastic radio adapter is bolting to I'm guessing? Should still be able to go an eyelet connector there no reason to looking for ground deeper in the dash. No reason to ground your two ground wires separately either, just making more work for yourself.

I still don't understand how you end up with two ground wires, but we don't have any pictures of your setup or anything so who knows. Go slowly and carefully and I'm sure you will get it figured out.
I didn't listen that blue from the antenna adapter is ground. I hooked it to the blue/white. Defiantly I am going to ground the black ones.
I am dealing with a corrupted photo and I will post one as soon I figure this out. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

I think if I take the factory brackets off the factory radio and attach them to the back of the plastic bracket that's on the kit. Maybe the holes will line up. We'll see. I'm not putting plastic on plastic. Just putting the metal bracket in between. I seen that at Crutchfields where you could ground there. But thanks anyway.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The blue wire can go to blue/white, they are commonly power antenna or power to a remote you will NOT want to ground that. If not used let it be blank and tape it off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All done and working great. Hooked both black grounds to the screw to the right of the little upper storage compartment would be at, There's a Phillips screw hidden between the storage area compartment area and an air duct on the right . This was so easy. Blue/white wire to the blue antenna adapter. I used a metal paint scraper to lift and pry the first piece to come off on top. I used a none flexible hard metal scraper. Easy. I had prepped the wires a few days ago so I put it in quick. Thanks for everyone's replies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
Sue Kretock
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing