Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Has anybody installed the TPMS themselves?

TPMS what? The sensors in the tires, the antenna, the software, etc.? Sensors in the tires are simple to do. Everything else isn't so simple.

Also, is there a way to change the pressure at which the TPMS light is activated? I heard it's lit at 30 PSI?

No way to change it. It's hard wired into the circuit boards in the sensors. And 30 sounds about right.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The sensors in the tires, are they attached by some type of metal band or brace and tightened against the inside wheel?
Nope look at the valve stems and the sensor is on the other side inside the wheel the sensor is held in place with the nut at the valve stem.

can you adjust the pressure at which the tpms light comes on ..No not possible unless you completely reprogram the BCM.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My husband had to take them to a tire shop because they had to mount them back on and all that. But the light is still on.
From what I've read, it will just stay on because they're aftermarket wheels?

·
Registered
222 Posts
TPMS light comes on when any tire is below 28-30psi or there is a differance of 5psi or more between tire pressures. light will also come on when tires are over pressurized. if tire light flashes when you first start up the vehicle then you either have a bad sensor or a really low tire pressure that the sensor can't read (i.e. flat tire).

Little surprised that your local dealerships charge for reseting the tire light useing the Consult III down here where i work we normally don't charge for this service unless you come in several days in a row with problems. if i remember correctly ther is a recall on replacing the BCM for the tire light issue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My husband had to take them to a tire shop because they had to mount them back on and all that. But the light is still on.
From what I've read, it will just stay on because they're aftermarket wheels?
The wheels won't affect TPMS. Are the sensors you put back in the originals from the car? The Body Control Module (BCM) is programmed to look for the exact sensors that came in the car originally. If those are changed for a different sensor, even if it's an OEM sensor, the BCM won't read it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The wheels won't affect TPMS. Are the sensors you put back in the originals from the car? The Body Control Module (BCM) is programmed to look for the exact sensors that came in the car originally. If those are changed for a different sensor, even if it's an OEM sensor, the BCM won't read it.
These are the original sensors. We drove about 500 miles after putting them on the aftermarket wheels. The light is still on. :(

·
Registered
222 Posts
These are the original sensors. We drove about 500 miles after putting them on the aftermarket wheels. The light is still on. :(
check tire pressure and make sure it is between 33-35 PSI if not air up tires and spray the valve stem area with soapy water and look for bubbles, also check bead seat ara of rims out side edge and inside edge. Some people to not properly tighten down the sensors or break them from to much tightening to where they look okay but area slowely leaking air. had a set of those today.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, thanks for all the information and heads up guys.

What I plan on doing is not worrying about it until next spring, early summer and getting them fixed. That is going to be the least of my concerns until I get enough money saved up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Shops have a tool that will read/detect the wireless signal from each TPMS sensor. If they dont get a signal for that tire then the sensor is bad.

We sometimes charged a $44 diagnostic fee for a 1/2 hour of time.....but usually we just did it for free if they had us replace it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow $44! To tell me sheesh for that price I can just get a replacement kit off of ebay and just do them all! I check my tires every couple of fill ups so this is not useful really. wish there was a way to turn that stupid exclamation point off!

Goofy

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently put aftermarket wheels on my wifes V. When I took the old wheels in to remove the sensor the tech that dismounted the wheels broke one of my sensors. The shop ordered a new one and installed it free of charge, but they couldn't get the light to reset. They told me to take it to a Nissan Dealership (90 miles away) and get it reprogrammed then they'd pay me back for it. I decided to try and reprogram them myself since I'd had some luck resetting my airbag light and reading/clearing DTCs without a tool. After a quick google search I found an article on myG37.com detailing how to reset the TPMS system on a 2007 G37. I decided to give it a try since a few other posters in the thread had luck with other Nissan models. It worked like a charm! It was an extremely simple procedure. It only took my 15 min to rest my tpms light and learn the new sensor ID. I modified the instructions to suit the Versa and posted them in the How to section a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately the Mods haven't approved it yet, nor told me why it hasn't been approved. I'll try to repost it here if the OP doesn't mind the thread jack.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Wow $44! To tell me sheesh for that price I can just get a replacement kit off of ebay and just do them all! I check my tires every couple of fill ups so this is not useful really. wish there was a way to turn that stupid exclamation point off!

Goofy
Yeah, most shops rip people off.

In order to replace TPMS sensors you have to be able to break down the tire and break the bead in order to gain access to the sensor. Even then, you may need someone heavy or an air press to hold down the sidewall so you dont crush your fingers. Also, you'll need to torque the acorn nut to the correct lbs/in (not ft)

Sensors vary from $50 to over $100. Just depends on the vehicle. Same as the "relearn" procedure. Some you can simply drive, others you need a programming tool.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I recently put aftermarket wheels on my wifes V. When I took the old wheels in to remove the sensor the tech that dismounted the wheels broke one of my sensors. The shop ordered a new one and installed it free of charge, but they couldn't get the light to reset. They told me to take it to a Nissan Dealership (90 miles away) and get it reprogrammed then they'd pay me back for it. I decided to try and reprogram them myself since I'd had some luck resetting my airbag light and reading/clearing DTCs without a tool. After a quick google search I found an article on myG37.com detailing how to reset the TPMS system on a 2007 G37. I decided to give it a try since a few other posters in the thread had luck with other Nissan models. It worked like a charm! It was an extremely simple procedure. It only took my 15 min to rest my tpms light and learn the new sensor ID. I modified the instructions to suit the Versa and posted them in the How to section a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately the Mods haven't approved it yet, nor told me why it hasn't been approved. I'll try to repost it here if the OP doesn't mind the thread jack.
I just checked the how too section and did not see the thread. Do you have a link to the method that you used, as it would be nice if we could program them without a cost. Thanks VV

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.