Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can really use some help. I have a brand new 2011 Versa 1.8SL and I'm having issues with my Intelligent Key Ignition. When trying to start my car I get the red key light. I've tried everything I can think of to fix the issue (changed key fobs, changed batteries, made sure my steering wheel is straight when shutting off the car, keep my cell phone away from the key fob and ignition, and so on and so on), and it is getting steadily worse (last Sunday it happened 5 times). The only way I can get the car to start now, is to exit it, lock it, unlock it and then try starting it. I know. Weird.

At this moment it is in for service, and the "master technician" is also stumped. He's changed out the antenna and the controller. What else is there to change out? And should I even put up with this? The car had problems starting even before I drove it off the show room floor. Stupid me, I should have insisted they give me another car. Oh well, live and learn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RubyRed

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
They need to fix it. It's prolly not the antenna. How about they replace the brain that controls the I-key. I had problems with my car about 3 months after I bought it, and turns out the BCM had to be replaced. The BCM is the brain of the electronics through out the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you ...

They need to fix it. It's prolly not the antenna. How about they replace the brain that controls the I-key. I had problems with my car about 3 months after I bought it, and turns out the BCM had to be replaced. The BCM is the brain of the electronics through out the car.
Thank you Versa S 2009. I just spoke with my "Advisor" at Nissan, and she wasn't too keen on replacing the BCM. However, we'll see how far this goes.

Take care, RubyRed

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Your welcome. Just remember it could be the BCM, or just the brain module that controls ur I-key that may need replacing. Or it could be something totally different, but that's about all I can think of, that could be the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's been fixed (hopefully). This is the service write-up I received: "Attempts to program / register (iKey) no good - check power to control unit - OK - Techline - Jeff - Console antenna connection may be loose - removed console covers - found harness connector loose - reconnect - still cannot register - replaced smart unit - program key and remotes - OK - testing system OK. No further recommendations at this time, Customer advised."

So, it turns out that the harness connector was not installed correctly, and as a result, shorted out the smart unit. So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Glad to hear this..... Hope ur good from here!!!! :)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I wish mine had intelligent key entry and engine start buttom

good to hear you got yours fixed, that's what the warranty is for =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
BluV3R18
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing